GRADO PS2000e MINI REVIEW........
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #31 of 339
I auditioned the ps2000e last week and while I share your impression that the midrange has been brought up in the mix, I felt that the overall presentation was treble tilted and somewhat bass lite. that said, I preferred it to the ps1000e, which sounded weird in comparison. the wider headband didn't noticeably improve the unwieldy fit for me either.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #33 of 339
I am glad to say that I have posted what will probably be the main part of the promised mini review. I will add to it as I can but hope that you enjoy it and the thread as a lot of info has come out and hopefully you will all get an opportunity to get a chance to give this special headphone a listen..... I continue to look forward to more comments and posts as more hobbyists get the exposure to these, they are magical to me.

Thank you for your mini review. I'm already a Grado fan so there's no doubt I'd like these. I really hope to get the opportunity to give these a listen one day.

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 339
Looks like I'll be getting my chance to hear these thanks to @Todd from the TTVJ PS2000e loaner tour. I can't wait to hear what they can do! :thumbsup:

Knowing your taste my friend I guarantee that they will be a winner and a keeper for you..... Keep me posted please.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #35 of 339
Hello all,

Decided to register and post here, as I was in the same boat - had PS1000e and was wondering if ps2000e is worth it.

Shortly - very much worth it. Immediately an hour after opening a brand new box of ps2ke and listening - ps2k is amazing. I liked ps1000e but whej compared - ps2k is year ahead (unfortunately). The details in low - lower frequencies are much more transparent, much more sorted, in comparison ps1000e now seems like is just a total mess in the lower range. Same for the high freqs - they just sound really natural without any emphasis.
All in all ps2000k is extremely well sorted throughout the range, has much more detailed and a bit more expresses low freqs, matural highlights what makes the total image very balanced.

My ps1000e has been upgraded :)

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #36 of 339
Hello all,

Decided to register and post here, as I was in the same boat - had PS1000e and was wondering if ps2000e is worth it.

Shortly - very much worth it. Immediately an hour after opening a brand new box of ps2ke and listening - ps2k is amazing. I liked ps1000e but whej compared - ps2k is year ahead (unfortunately). The details in low - lower frequencies are much more transparent, much more sorted, in comparison ps1000e now seems like is just a total mess in the lower range. Same for the high freqs - they just sound really natural without any emphasis.
All in all ps2000k is extremely well sorted throughout the range, has much more detailed and a bit more expresses low freqs, matural highlights what makes the total image very balanced.

My ps1000e has been upgraded :)
Hello, and welcome. :) Nice post, thank you for sharing your impression. Congrats also for your purchase.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #37 of 339
So from what I've gathered, the PS2000e shares the same sound character/signature with the PS1000e, is this correct? Currently considering of getting either one. But still undecided. The PS2000e seems to have a higher sound quality than PS1000e, but I wonder if it's better to just buy the PS1000e for its value. (Why not both is not an option unfortunately) :)

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #38 of 339
they differed in ways that i regarded as significant when i compared them. so while they are members of the grado professional series, they didn't sound the same to my ears.

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #39 of 339
So from what I've gathered, the PS2000e shares the same sound character/signature with the PS1000e, is this correct? Currently considering of getting either one. But still undecided. The PS2000e seems to have a higher sound quality than PS1000e, but I wonder if it's better to just buy the PS1000e for its value. (Why not both is not an option unfortunately) :)
I have the PS1K
(still do) & the PS1Ke and there were some things I liked about the (e) such as percussion/drums over the the PS1K, but preferred my PS1K overall.

I now have the PS2K, and prior to owning them I enjoyed the time I spent with them from TTVJs loaner program but they didn't give me nearly the insight to how well they really do sound, and I'm not just saying this because I own them now because if I didn't care for them I would've simply sold them like I did the PS1Ke or any other headphone I've owned and didn't care for. I had also mentioned in my short & sweet impressions that I preferred my PS1K...this was incorrect to say. I should have said both are different.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #40 of 339
I have the PS1K
(still do) & the PS1Ke and there were some things I liked about the (e) such as percussion/drums over the the PS1K, but preferred my PS1K overall.

I now have the PS2K, and prior to owning them I enjoyed the time I spent with them from TTVJs loaner program but they didn't give me nearly the insight to how well they really do sound, and I'm not just saying this because I own them now because if I didn't care for them I would've simply sold them like I did the PS1Ke or any other headphone I've owned and didn't care for. I had also mentioned in my short & sweet impressions that I preferred my PS1K...this was incorrect to say. I should have said both are different.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :thumbsup: So may I ask, how is your impression of the PS2000e, compared with the PS1000e? I apologize if I missed it. Just curious to know what do you think. I currently only have a pair of Grado RS2e as my reference. And how I really like it. :) It sounds beautiful.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #41 of 339
Selling my PS1ke in case anyone is interested. Won’t be getting the 2ke as I wasn’t a fan. Moves away from the Grado sound too much for me and without any upside. I’ll be getting an RS1e to satiate my Grado cravings, I think.

Anyway: pm me or simply reply here if anyone’s interested.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #42 of 339
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :thumbsup: So may I ask, how is your impression of the PS2000e, compared with the PS1000e? I apologize if I missed it. Just curious to know what do you think. I currently only have a pair of Grado RS2e as my reference. And how I really like it. :) It sounds beautiful.
There may be a misunderstanding on my part in my previous post. I sold my PS1Ke not long after buying them, so the only thing I remember liking about them were percussion/drums. Otherwise I can't comment on impressions between both, sorry. You can always get an idea of their differences from the comparisons chart which @ruthieandjohn provided in his signature.

I've never heard the RS2e but it was supposed to be the new RS1i, being the RS1e wasn't so popular (from what I've read) due to it's sound signature.
If the RS2e sounds anything like the RS1i (which I own) I can understand them sounding beautiful to you.

Selling my PS1ke in case anyone is interested. Won’t be getting the 2ke as I wasn’t a fan. Moves away from the Grado sound too much for me and without any upside. I’ll be getting an RS1e to satiate my Grado cravings, I think.
I didn't/don't feel the PS2Ke moved away from the Grado sound in any way, I feel they just improved it. However, I do feel the GH1/GH2 moved away from the Grado sound, but I do enjoy the GH1. The GH2 was a bit too much of a stray from the Grado sound for me, though.

I would recommend reading impressions on the RS1e to get some kind of idea what they sound like even though hearing them for yourself is best.
From what I've read,
they've strayed the most from the Grado sound which is why they weren't popular.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #44 of 339
Just to chime in, after reading newest posts, I went on to directly compare ps1ke and ps2ke as i still have the ps1k at home.

Have to agree that they both are different, quite dramaticallt, and i prefer ps2ke :) the latter seems naturally balanced with transparent not overexposed vocals and fullfilling low range which was lacking in ps1ke. I would call the ps2ke having better dynamic range, ps1ke seem to be kind of dryish-flat sounding.

Of course it’s all in comparison side by side. Things are not bad when ps1ke playing alone, but if money is not an issue - i will always vote for ps2ke.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #45 of 339

Now that Grado Labs has officially announced the PS2000e earlier today I will be looking to put together a mini review of my impressions of these superb new Flagship headphones in the next few days.

As their site states these are the Best Headphones Grado Labs has ever made. I agree 100% and I have heard pretty much all the Grados through the years including the Joe Grado's Signature Series. The PS2000e is Extremely Impressive..

-------------------------------------------MINI REVIEW 6/25/17--------------------------------------------------------

Once again I do apologize for the long delay in getting this together although the thread has moved along quite nicely in the meantime. Additionally much of my impressions and thoughts on Grado Lab’s new Flag Ship the model PS2000e has already come out in bits and pieces in the posts so far.
I have had a good amount of time on the PS2000e and have already had the chance to compare it not only to what I have in my possession but included some current models that were significantly more expensive. At this point I will not be mentioning any of that aspect since I feel it best to continue with just my thoughts and impressions.

Let me take a moment now to state that in my opinion the PS2000e is the best Grado I have ever heard and I have heard just about every model over the years. Secondly, and again I can only state my own opinions the PSk2e is a top performer not only in it’s price tier but well beyond, besting some significantly more expensive models. I am sure that I have already proclaimed that this beats up all the phones in my collection as the best sound overall and has already changed my listening habits. This is beyond the new toy syndrome by a large margin but just a desire to hear the best sound. It has continuously afforded me those magic moments when you realize as you are listening to a favorite piece of music that this is the best I have heard that piece. This is happening to the tune of 7 out 10 quite consistently. Color me VERY impressed. I just keep looking for the next favorite track to try on it, I have not been disappointed.

The sound of the PS2000e is very natural and realistic. One of the most noticeable things on first listens is these go down deep in the bass and do so with terrific detail, impact and definition. There is no overblown impact but a very solid and real sounding foundation to the music. The mids and highs also are also more neutral and realistic. These phones definitely scale very well and although not overly picky they really show differences between amplifiers and just soar once you have it a best match. I have been primarily listening via my TEAC HA-501 dual mono Class A amplier which retails well below $1000. This match just seems perfect for me and the headphones seem to agree as they do their magic better than with any of my amps or others that I have tried (up to $2000).

The front to back and side to side depth and air is unbeatable, instrument placement extremely well done. The transients are lightening quick and midrange palpable. There are times that they remind me of the speed and accuracy of a good electrostatic but more fleshed out. Every sound seems to be in the right place with the right balance, nothing overwhelming or upsetting this great attribute. They are not limited in type of music genre but pull out the best and most revealing and realistic presentation with everything I have thrown at it. For sure it sounds super with the audiophile quality recordings but it also does a superior job with run of the mill ordinary recordings. This is where it showed me it's great ability to wring the best from whatever it is asked to play. The addition of a larger surface contact head band gives them better fit and comfort than the previous flagship PS1000 variants. I have no problem listening to them for hours at a time with no strain physically or sonically.

I brought these to the Metro NY Meet last month and the response was overwhelmingly positive. There were many visitors to my table (where I was just showcasing the PSk2e). It was quite a popular stop. I truly hope that everyone (not just potential buyers) try to get a chance to hear a broken in pair, 100 hours minimum play time. These are very special phones and are likely to be well accepted and recognized for their such lifelike abilities even from listeners including those that might normally shy away from getting a Grado. John Grado has raised the bar with the best headphone he has ever produced and has taken his time to get it just right where it reflects back to him just what he was trying to achieve.

I am on about 30 hours with the PS2000e. I had the PS1000e, and I have the GS2000e here, which I've reviewed with much vigor and pleasure. Using the same Lyr2, first with EH Gold 6922, and now Siemens ECC88 CCa tubes (yes, these NOS are quite distinctly "better than" any good contemporary tubes - like the difference between a decent guitar and a fine handmade one), right out of the pizza box they impressed with a SUMPTUOUS, full, extended, weirdly transparent, and yet quite kind and friendly - no sonic whiz-bang to impress, all qualities delivered with an aural hug - demonstrating infinitely deep-bass with the same perfect attack decay envelope as the 1000e, but with significantly more weight and bloom to complement but not overwhelm the tonality; soundstage is huge, real, and with unwavering and definite placement of instruments; midrange, exemplified in certain piano recordings, and both rock and jazz vocals, is right-there, real, unembellished.....this is at 30hours now, and they are a bit more relaxed, but apparently nowhere near full break-in. I'm a snooty analytic sort when I want to be, and I can't find anything I don't like, or anything I can criticize as pleasingly euphonic but false. I'm kind of thrilled - I can't think of what more I could want in a speaker except for one day to own an in-room system with these qualities, just like this. I have a Mjolnir2 amp coming after a parts-delay is rectified at Schiit, and Iam remaining cool while awaiting how a more sophisticated, powerful amp, built to match my Gungnir DAC, will bring out even more of these qualities. Can I use the word Gorgeous and let it encompass what I'm hearing? Maybe someone else could review these more objectively - I think I have a crush preventing me from finding anything to criticize. I also think I have a good system synergy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back