GRADO PS2000e MINI REVIEW........
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #136 of 339
Before saying you have so many "doubts" about the PS2Ke try it first, then comment.
I've tried mostly all the current TOTL headphones costing $3-5K (in home) for at least 10 days each and I'd take the PS2Ke over any of them. I too was not impressed with it's price increase over the PS1K/e because I though the increase would have been along the lines of the GS1Ke to the GS2Ke (+/-$3-400.00 depending on the termination) so I had initial sticker shock and was very dissapointed at their price increase. Then I came to my senses and realized all the other TOTL headphones I demoed cost much more money and I didn't like any of them half as much as the PS2Ke.
Will try when I get the chance.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #137 of 339
Question is: is this headphone USD2,650 good?

Headphones pricing has gone to the stratosphere, of course helped by immense hype created by reviews sites. Companies seem to be racing to produce sky-high priced "statement" can. Some of them, though still way overpriced, truly sounds good (Utopia). Some of them, imo, are more fairly priced (HD800, ZMF) and still present good value. Others are just flat out overpriced.

I really doubt ADX5000 and this PS2000e have the design, build quality, or sonic quality that make them worth their tag prices.

And I doubt that this PS2000e can best HD800 for classical. Don't have good impressions on Grado cans. We'll see. Looking forward to try it.

I agree that in the overall picture headphone prices have been getting up there but I agree 100% with Joseph69 and if I were to have only one headphone it would be the Grado PS2000e. I too have compared one to one to with some highly regarded more expensive TOTL models and for me the Grado came out on top performance wise and proved to be quite a value as the others were $4000 and above.

Of course personal preference is the final determining factor always.

Take Joseph69's advice and try to get an opportunity to audition a broken in (minimum 100 hours +) with some of your reference material and spend some time with them. I felt mine were still improving at over 200 hours use. They are my go to headphone, please check my profile to see what the competition was.

Nonetheless, enjoy the journey and the fun.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #138 of 339
Did you try ZMF Auteur/Eikon/Atticus yet? They are pretty amazing. Not to mention looks beautiful and top-notch build quality too. TOTL cans have some serious competition.

Look wise, PS2000e is far behind already imo. But I will reserve my judgment on sound and build quality till I try it.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #139 of 339

Headphones pricing has gone to the stratosphere, of course helped by immense hype created by reviews sites. Companies seem to be racing to produce sky-high priced "statement" can. Some of them, though still way overpriced, truly sounds good (Utopia). Some of them, imo, are more fairly priced (HD800, ZMF) and still present good value. Others are just flat out overpriced.

I really doubt ADX5000 and this PS2000e have the design, build quality, or sonic quality that make them worth their tag prices.

And I doubt that this PS2000e can best HD800 for classical. Don't have good impressions on Grado cans. We'll see. Looking forward to try it.
For me, they're better than all those other things and more expensive ones as well. That issue is always if they are cost effective for you. Like sound preferences, one should never project their own value sensibities to others. For me, nothing cheaper sounds as good and nothing more expensive sound better overall. Others may have some stellar attribute in one parameter or other to fall in another area. That sort of thing is often a sacrificial trait. This Grado is anywhere from close to better in every parameter to any other phone I've heard and has no discernable sonic flaw. I also find them friendlier than the above review and friendlier than things like the Senn 800 or their own ps500. They will reveal but never punish.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #140 of 339
Did you try ZMF Auteur/Eikon/Atticus yet? They are pretty amazing. Not to mention looks beautiful and top-notch build quality too. TOTL cans have some serious competition.

Look wise, PS2000e is far behind already imo. But I will reserve my judgment on sound and build quality till I try it.
I have and not in the running for me but they are a VG phone and offer a version with better isolation. If you need isolation or no sound leakage, you are obviously not looking at a Grado but all my fav phones are open back.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #141 of 339
I have and not in the running for me but they are a VG phone and offer a version with better isolation. If you need isolation or no sound leakage, you are obviously not looking at a Grado but all my fav phones are open back.
Same here. My all-time favorite cans are HD800 and HD650. I also love the TH900, but needs to be EQ-ed to bring out its max potential though. Its weakness is its frequency range.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #143 of 339
Lots of considerations go into purchasing/chosing a headphone (or any other 'luxury good', for that matter: Price, quality, and aesthetics being the primary, but not only ones. I have the 2000e's on my head as I type this, and I am in substantial agreement with Goodvibes on this one. I'm not a Grado fan-boy, nor am I a Grado detractor. I do want to point out that the 2000e's are hand-made in the USA, in small quantities by an American owned and operated company. They've been involved in high-end audio for quite some time, and have been making headphones for quite some time as well. Much of their product line is in the entry-level and/or more affordable end of the price spectrum.

Lots of folks on Head-Fi seem to think that predatory companies are lining up to gouge headphone buyers - often citing the increasing price-ragne for upper end cans as evidence. Seems to me more like the newcomers are flooding the market with rebadged junk, made in anonymous oem factories, not in the US or Europe. While their goods are not insanely priced, they are marked-up substantially, and have virtually no R&D or design effort put into them.......

I think people should be happy that the headphone market is expanding and growing into a more mature market. There are more and better choices all the time. Let your head, heart and wallet guide you to your musical bliss.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #144 of 339

I think Zach (and his wife, for that matter) are wonderful people, and he/they make(s) a great headphone. I'd love to own some. I think they look nice as well, but since I don't sit in front of a mirror when I listen to music, and do not have extreme peripheral vision, I judge by sound and build-quality, comfort, and price in comparison with close performing competitors. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm not sure that appearance tells enough about the quality inside for me, personally, to care about it. (please take no offence, I am not saying that people shouldn't care about visual aesthetics, just that I don't.)

Kind'a sounds like you have not reserved judgment so far. You may not like the way they sound-nor are you obligated to. What I do know is that the 2000e's sound great to me, with my gear, for the music I enjoy, and the way I enjoy it. They make me think of phrasing, breathing, and interpretation, saxes and trumpets, drums and tempos, not bass and mids and 'soundstage'. What's your passion?

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #145 of 339
Very well written post, you did an excellent job summing that up. I had been involved in retail audio for a good number of years and I would pretty rubber stamp your insights.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #147 of 339

The Utopia is overpriced because Focal knows that it can sale all the production in China for 2 x its value. So the rest of the world have to pay the double. I am thinking that Focal is not the only one in this case.

2 month ago, I was thinking that Grado was not for me.
But in december i first listen to the GS2000e and found that Grado goes in my direction. The RS2e do the same. So I ask to listen a PS2000e in my home for evaluation with some DAC before to purchase.
I was very estonisch that the result was so good with the Chord MojoPoly.
The enjoyements increase with the Hugo2 and the Dave sourced with the Bryston bdp3.
I have take the time to read all the positive posts on the forums and I was surprise that I have to totally agree with the more extravagant : CaptainKush.
My PS2000e arrives 2 weeks later and I enjoy it from the first minutes. It was not the same with the GS2000e. (Some siblilance the first 5 hours)
After 50 hours: PS2000e gives me already a lot of details in the voices.
I beleve that I understand why the PS2000e is in a professional series.
It is an excellent tool for a sound engineer.
It expresses the substance of each note.
With it, a melody is a succession a jewels.
With some old songs, I have the impression that the singer is far from me but i feel also that he is in a bigger room. So i realise that it is the first time that i understand the mixing of the soundtrack.

Yesterday, i do a presentation to my friend of the new toy with the Dave and the MojoPoly.
He said: very natural with sharp details and very deep space. I had never thought that a headphone can give so realistic low notes.
After one hour, I connect the Oppo PM3 on the second output of the MojoPoly.
He said : 2 years ago, we love the PM3 and now the PM3 seems without interest.
He ask me: In your car maybe?
I said : The GS10e gives me the response.
Conclusion : we go together in somes shops next week to purchase a PS2000e and a MojoPoly and a GS10e.
In the little country of Belgium and Nederlands Grado sold more than 40 PS2000e.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #148 of 339
@PANURUS
how much ps2000e goes in belgium and holland?

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #149 of 339
@PANURUS
how much ps2000e goes in belgium and holland?
A month ago it was 40 owners for the 2 countries. I receved the information because i spoke about the corrosion, from fingerprint, reported by a revieuwer that shows picture.
It was some fingerprint on the PS2000e, that I had tested, when i receved it.
The importator said: None of the 40 owners complaint about that.

The fingerprint had reduced because I remove mine each time i took this PS2000e in my hands. But not totally gone when i returned it. Since i use gloves.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #150 of 339
I think Zach (and his wife, for that matter) are wonderful people, and he/they make(s) a great headphone. I'd love to own some. I think they look nice as well, but since I don't sit in front of a mirror when I listen to music, and do not have extreme peripheral vision, I judge by sound and build-quality, comfort, and price in comparison with close performing competitors. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm not sure that appearance tells enough about the quality inside for me, personally, to care about it. (please take no offence, I am not saying that people shouldn't care about visual aesthetics, just that I don't.)

Kinda sounds like you have not reserved judgment so far. You may not like the way they sound-nor are you obligated to. What I do know is that the 2000e's sound great to me, with my gear, for the music I enjoy, and the way I enjoy it. They make me think of phrasing, breathing, and interpretation, saxes and trumpets, drums and tempos, not bass and mids and 'soundstage'. What's your passion?
Good that you dont look at yourself in the mirror when wearing headphones otherwise that would be weird. I do love looking at headphones when they are sitting on a stand in my listening room. I remember when the Alpha Dog first arrived at my doorstep, and I thought "God d&%n, that is one handsome can". Just love looking at it. But of course, aesthetic beauty comes fourth after sonic quality, build quality/endurance and comfort to me.

That said, in my opinion, selling headphones at $3-6k pricing just because it "sounds good" is not good enough. Sometimes, these cans are even very cheaply made. Most of the time, sounding good is the only reason they can come out with to justify their insane margin. But as long as people keep buying them, I guess this pricing trend will continue. You are right though, I will guard my wallet tightly. To each his own.

Yes I havent reserved my judgment yet as i havent heard the ps2000e. Will definitely have a try as soon as one comes out near my vicinity. Looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back