Grado PS1000 "Rod Block" Slippage Problem
Sep 23, 2012 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

BlackstoneJD

100+ Head-Fier
I may have posted this already, but is there a cheap and easy way to fix slippage on the PS1000? I like to configure the earcups in the smallest possible configuration with rodblocks flush against the earcups. However, the left block keeps sliding up as I listen and as a result the driver sits lower on my ear than I would like. I have to cinch it back up every once in a while. Apparently there is not enough friction.

I have tried regular and double sided scotch tape above the rod block to no avail, the tape just seems to slide up with the block. I have not tried electrical tape yet.

Is there a way to fix this? The right block seems fine but the left slips no matter what I do.

Edit, I wish there was some kind of clamp or rubber thing that would lock it in place but I have no idea what to get.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 27
I did this "mod" to my 325's and it works like a charm....

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 27
Nice mod, you should patent this one
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 27
I did this "mod"
ir

to my 325's and it works like a charm....

This is precisely what I want, but what is it and where do I get it? Needle in the Home Depot haystack, baby! Ya dig? Lol

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 27
I'll trade you some T50RP's for em, should fix that irritation right up :wink:

Sep 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 27
Thanks for that great Mod Armand Hammer! The collar you linked to is no longer available but there's another with the same dimensions.

Here ....  

http://tinyurl.com/9tw4sfg

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
The smallest wire strap fastened tight and trimmed afterwards will work. You'll be able to move it without using the screwdriver while the drivers won't slip down .

+1 for the wire strap (zip tie).  After a while the weight of the metal cups in 325 Grados seems to wear out the rubber bushings in the rod blocks. The quick/easy fix are wire straps or zip ties. You really need to tighten on the rod, remove, cinch down one more click and then squeeze back on the rod. Cheap, light and strong. That's a rare combo - ask any experienced cyclist or auto racer!

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 27
I did this "mod" to my 325's and it works like a charm....

Old but good thread. Thanks ArmAndHammer for a great fix! I'm not having a big problem with this right now, but it WILL be a problem (weird that Grado opts for such a weak solution, especially on heavier cans like the ps1000, although totally worth it). Now, to find these somewhere close.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 27
Old but good thread. Thanks ArmAndHammer for a great fix! I'm not having a big problem with this right now, but it WILL be a problem (weird that Grado opts for such a weak solution, especially on heavier cans like the ps1000, although totally worth it). Now, to find these somewhere close.

I hate to say this, but when it comes to Grado, nothing suprises me anymore.

Regarding the rodblocks, back in 1992, Joseph Grado built the all metal HP1000, and he used metal rodblocks, and fingers friendly tightening screws. fast forward 23 years, and we have even heavyer headphones, plastic rodblocks, and no screws, now that's what I call progress.
rolleyes.gif

I like to have my headphones on stands, but in the PS1000<s case, I simply lay them flat. I know that some people use ingenious ways that seem to work very well, but for some reason, I have this crazy idea about keeping my headphones stock. oh well!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 27
I hate to say this, but when it comes to Grado, nothing suprises me anymore.

Regarding the rodblocks, back in 1992, Joseph Grado built the all metal HP1000, and he used metal rodblocks, and fingers friendly tightening screws. fast forward 23 years, and we have even heavyer headphones, plastic rodblocks, and no screws, now that's what I call progress. :rolleyes:

I like to have my headphones on stands, but in the PS1000

Perhaps thats why Grado gear is called "retro", as in devolving :wink: hehe

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #15 of 27
Update: I found an alternative to the solutions above. I used the smallest O-rings in this kit (2 mm.):

This works perfectly, in my opinion much better that the zip chord solution, as it adds friction and is easily adjustable. I have had no slippage after doing this. Here is how it looks:

In other words quite discreet and good looking. Hope this helps some people out there, who end up looking in this thread. Cheers! :smile::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back