GRADO PS1 received. holy cow!!!
Sep 24, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #61 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
analog'd: You have a Naim CD player. Is your love of Grado due to your proclivity to PRAT?

Mitch

i dunno. I loved the naim cause used for under 1500 it was the least digitalis
ridden redbook player I could afford (and I had up to 2500 to spend). it did not drop any highs but did not add that awful brittleness to them.

Grados I have loved since the moment I got under a pr of SR-60's in the mid 90's. did not take me long to move up the line, settling on rs1's for many years. PRAT indeed, especially now I'm up to the PS1's.

but the grado mids are what did it for me to begin with. I am a humble harmonica player who has logged a zillion hours on stages in a zillion bands of varying abilities and volumes. And I'm an old guy so I grew up on tube driven JBLs. so the two things that make me love Grados so much both make me feel like I've arrived home when I hear them playing: that JBL like warmth and thickness in sound compared to akg's, senns, etys, sony's, koss and shures (though the e500 is in the ballpark!); and the fact that I LOVE how it sounds center stage(when it's done decently). it energizes me, makes me wanna holler!, makes me pick up my harp and play em a tune...

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #62 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterLoki
ahhhh forgot to mention it

received also a email (at that time where i bought my PS1) from active audio
they told me a special tool for producing the PS1 where broken and they cannot replace it

looks like it all comes together phonophono told me i got one of the last ones and active audio said that the PS1 would not produced anymore...

edit: what means ''NOS'' ?

Did Active Audio disclose specifically what tool was broken beyond repair and irreplaceable?

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #63 of 107
okey dokey then.

I just bought a Raptor for my PS1's. the hr2 was great, but I couldn't resist the deal, and I so love tubes.

so, out with the hr2 which uis sold already, and by wed or so I should have the raptor. whew. busy two weeks for me!

Sep 24, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #65 of 107
wow again.

just listened to the PS1's some more on my main analog rig. just fantastic!

Led Zep - side one of the 1st lp, was perfect under flats. I was able to hear acoustic guitar chords as seperate within the onslaught, yet in no way over delineated. 1st time ever hearing that guitar like that and I bought a copy the day it was released in the states 100 years ago and have listened to various copies a trillion times. this is the current classic recs pressing. this and all other pressings never sounded so good, not on rs1's, gs1000's, cd3000's, k1000's, k701's, etys or e500s. I kept thinking "john should have dedicated these to Bonham and Jones" cause on dazed and confused the presentation of drums and bass is just insane, like it was made for them. and anybody who thinks the bass is bloated was listening on the wrong amp. it's there, and low! but not bloated or too slow.

then I put on the new stereo remaster of Pet Sounds. fast switch to the bowls gave me perspective that allowed the harmonies to just bloom.
and the bass was just gorgeous. everything was.

I am in love with a material er, headphone.

Sep 25, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #66 of 107
edit

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #67 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by iban
biggrin.gif
'It's Good To Be The King'
wink.gif

(we need a ps1 smile)

I've been looking for the name of that movie for some time now. You just provided me the clue for which to find it!

Sep 25, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #68 of 107
edit

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #69 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I've been looking for the name of that movie for some time now. You just provided me the clue for which to find it!

And the answer is "History of the World: Part I" - one of Mel Brooks' funniest!

Sep 25, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #70 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
And the answer is "History of the World: Part I" - one of Mel Brooks' funniest!

Agreed. And "The Meaning of Life" is one of my favorites as well.

Analog'd - I'm happy for you and your find. It's usually an elusive goal to find the magical headphone that suits your tastes, so seriously, congratulations!

I can't tell you how much money I went through before I found my Von Schweikert VR4jr (should have listened to my dealer from the beginning), K-1000, HP-2 - you can say I've arrived too.

But don't get too comfortable because right now I'm listening to my RS-1/RA-1, why - when I have all my reference speakers, headphones? Because they give a better timbre then the other 2. So, congratulations on finding your reference, but realize too that it never ends
very_evil_smiley.gif
frown.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #71 of 107
Well, I'm still enjoying my PS-1, now even more with the Mapletree. The vocals are now so damn smooth. There's a Clash song, "Lost This Skin" that always had somewhat harsh vocals that were difficult to understand, now it seems like you can really hear what the vocals are supposed to sound like.

Even though the vocals are smooth, the electric guitars are still fuzzy or twangy or whatever you call it. It seems tubes bring out the mids more but without making them harsh. So my rock music still rocks and has energy and the slower stuff is more lush. I'd say the Mapletree is a hint slower than the HR-2 and a good deal slower than the GS-1. I never heard that amp with the PS-1, but with the GS1000, it was lightning fast but not very musical to my liking.

Anyway, it seems like the PS-1 is the perfect highend headphone for those who don't want to lose the fun but still want the refinement. That's if you can find one.

As far as Mel Brooke's movies, also check out "Bazing Saddles" or "Young Frankenstein".

Sep 25, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #72 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Well, I'm still enjoying my PS-1, now even more with the Mapletree. The vocals are now so damn smooth. There's a Clash song, "Lost This Skin" that always had somewhat harsh vocals that were difficult to understand, now it seems like you can really hear what the vocals are supposed to sound like.

Even though the vocals are smooth, the electric guitars are still fuzzy or twangy or whatever you call it. It seems tubes bring out the mids more but without making them harsh. So my rock music still rocks and has energy and the slower stuff is more lush. I'd say the Mapletree is a hint slower than the HR-2 and a good deal slower than the GS-1. I never heard that amp with the PS-1, but with the GS1000, it was lightning fast but not very musical to my liking.

Anyway, it seems like the PS-1 is the perfect highend headphone for those who don't want to lose the fun but still want the refinement. That's if you can find one.

As far as Mel Brooke's movies, also check out "Bazing Saddles" or "Young Frankenstein".

What tubes are you using? One is able to roll in some really fast tubes into that amp. The amp is just killer.

Sep 25, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #73 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
What tubes are you using? One is able to roll in some really fast tubes into that amp. The amp is just killer.

A GE 5-start 5751. I don't know anything about the back 2 tubes but I haven't read anything about changing them. I'm actually not complaning about the speed at all. It seem just right to me. Faster doesn't mean better and while the GS-1 was quick, it's seemed to be missing decay and harmonics.

I also have a highly recommended Raytheon 5751 tube but so far I haven't like it as much. The highs were a little less and it had a unique sound that might work for a more neutral headphone but with the PS-1, it almost too much. I'll probably try it again at some point. I had another Raytheon that I liked but the left channel died after just 2 days. I guess I got a bad one.

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #74 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
As for too much bass, with the right amplification, this is simply not the case. Well controled solid powerful bass.

Oh my god, you agree with me Zanth, is this my birthday present!
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #75 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Oh my god, you agree with me Zanth, is this my birthday present!
biggrin.gif

Yes, happy birthday Fr. Fuzz
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back