Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Sep 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #226 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With good recording, HD800 better in tonality and sound more realistic, everything is more balance and natural. Of all three, HD800 also has the closest reproduction from my hifi system. PS1000's bass is slightly overwhelming for me at times. Both wouldn't go wrong. Unless you want to take the risk, you're better off with HD800 which is cheaper.

To me this role was taken on by the PS 1000. IME the PS 1000 has a more balanced and realistic tonality than the HD 800. IME the HD 800 has way too much low mids and upper bass. After all, it's a Senn.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #227 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ical-what speakers do you have that you feel that the HD800 are close sounding to?

I'm using Harbeth SHL5 drive by Quad pre QC-24 & mono amps II-Forty with nos Tungsol smooth gray plate 6550.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #228 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@mopps-i was kind of hoping that the HD800 will have no sound sig at all,like the K1000,that provides you with pure sound and nothing else.

IMHO a different kettle of fish. I can't convince a Senn fan to switch over to AKG e.g. on the spur of the moment and vice versa. I wouldn't compare apples and oranges.

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #229 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fkclo, there's still other choices like HD800 or Edition 8. I own them as well and are great too! Both are flawless when I received them. At least you know your hard earned money is well spent and purchase is deliver in good shape.

I tried the HD800 from a friend an like it. Going to get one. I now own an Edition 8 and yes, I love it too.

Probably also check out Beyer T1 later this year - may be something for my Christmas.

F. Lo

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #230 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have quite a different experience: my PS 1000 sounded the best on the first few days. Very snappy and tight, really awesome. But after a week (this time without special burn-in (maybe a misgiving?) but with normal music at normal volume) that magic got somewhat lost. Now the PS 1000 is still great and much better than the GS 1000, but where has this terrific drive gone?
confused_face_2.gif

Buy some good tube amplifier.
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #232 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by 563 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Cary Xciter Amp and Xciter DAC work great with the Grados (and the HD800s). I recommend you all look into this obscure set up.

I didn’t heard Xciter yet, but Cary SLI 80 is also very good.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #233 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

confused_face_2.gif

Please let me know the magical amp which prevents the PS 1000's sound from changing over the first few days. And preferably keeps care of the drivers.
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #234 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Please let me know the magical amp which prevents the PS 1000's sound from changing over the first few days. And preferably keeps care of the drivers.
tongue.gif

I think Cary 300 SEI with Emission Labs 300B will be the one.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #236 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO Grado have moved away from their typical sound with the PS1000,more laidback

They are a little bit on the warm side due to their low extended bass. They still retain the Grado mids but it is just a little more distant than RS-1. IMHO this gives a better sense of depth to the soundstage.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #237 of 318
Wolf congrats on finally getting your PS1000. I'm interested to know what effect the black dragons have but am not sure you've heard the PS1000 with the stock cable. Thanks

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #238 of 318
I never heard a stock PS1000 so I can't compare.

One thing for sure I'm very happy. It took many life privations to afford them, but they are well worth it to me.
gs1000.gif
(I think we need to edit and add a new PS1000 smile...)

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #239 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

Yes , a good tube amp. can work miracle with psk, my friend has designed a new tube amp with mullard 10m (12ax7 type). the psk sound awesome with more attractive mid's. the result is quite marvelous
o2smile.gif

DSC02116.jpg

the above psk belongs to my friend from taiwan, some imperfections are still being found on its rim.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #240 of 318
Piotr Ryka, sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience and I hope Grado does right by you. It is extremely disheartening to hear these kind of stories. 1700 USD should and someday will buy American Quality...but at this moment, is saddens me to say the two words American and Quality are difficult to use in the same sentence. I was seriously thinking of slapping down some hard earned US currency on these but, alas, your story is deeply affecting my decision....heck, I really feel it can't get much better than the HD800 and IMHO the GS1000s couldn't hold a candle to the HD800s and I've heard two GS1000s. IF I believe that the PS1000s and the HD800s are in the same league...and that's a big IF, then I would have to use a microscope to compare the two and this would reveal all layers of the transaction. This would and must include customer service and warranty support. Also, I've owned numerous Sennheisers(over 10) and so far....not one Quality issue!...that's a big statement in my mind and it affects whether my wallet opens or not. Also, my Senns get the largest headtime in any given day...so...

I wish you the very best and look forward to hearing a happy ending (please make it right John Grado)!

I know Grado will correct your issues, though...they strive to be the best headphone company in the world and do have world class sound that is unique and fun. A statement of their commitment to headphone lovers and the head-fi community is the HF-1 and HF-2 and the willingness to contribute so much to our community.

This brings me to a thought about the HF-2 aluminum...no spots on mine and no scratches or imperfections whatsoever...but a nice touch on the ps1000s by grado to use the foam cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back