Grado PS-1000 initial impressions
Aug 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #166 of 318
Finally a pair is coming home.
tongue_smile.gif

I wish I'll be able to add my first impression by the end of the coming week.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #168 of 318
Regarding the black spots and other minor imperfections that have been reported regarding the metal cups to the PS1000, this is what I just learned from the Grado rep:

"Here’s the response from John Grado:

According to John the black dots are normal and is a characteristic of the alloy that is used for the housing in the PS1000’s.

As far as the scratches …I can’t say. Every Grado headphone is hand inspected and the PS1000’s undergo even more rigorous inspection before they are packed.

John assures me they do would never let a pair of scratched PS1000’s leave the building.

I would let the customer know that it is the Nature of the finish and is not defective. These are hand crafted products.

Hope this helps"

Mine have several black "dots" (for want of a better term) and what appear to be very minor (two or so) black smudge/scratch/dots (hard to say). Interestingly, the writing on the two cups is a bit different - one is white, the other a bit more faded/silvery looking.

That said, as for the sound, after 40 or so hours, it is just getting better and better....
The lows are very defined/resolving, the mids are just there, and no problem with the highs. The soundstage isn't as large as the HD800, but this is not an issue at all - they really sound great off of Paradiseradio.com - paradise radio Resources and Information. as well as off of CDs, and classical and jazz music high bitstream websites. The PS1000s do exceptionally well with vocals too.

They still are very comfortable for extended listening periods; while they have weight, you really don't feel it (except in a very good way) on your head. Excellent headphones, and though expensive as all get-go, they are really great, if you can afford them.

Sep 3, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #171 of 318
Just found out that one well known local hi fi shop, where the whole Grado line up is available, will not be selling PS1000 at all.
frown.gif
This is not the end of the world, but still...However they do have HD800, for EUR 1000 only, and they are very positive about them and even they don't have any good headphone amp around, I am going to do some audition shortly...or maybe not...

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #172 of 318
Got my PS1000 from TTVJ, and they appear to have been shipped straight from Grado. No black dots, and no scratches. The cups were covered in foam, so perhaps that saved them from scratches in the last steps of the shipping/manufacturing process.

Out of the box, the highs reach far! The bass sounds good and full, though with a slight lack of impact. Instruments are sounding better than vocals so far. The soundstage is huge, and yet everything is defined and has a position!

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #174 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just found out that one well known local hi fi shop, where the whole Grado line up is available, will not be selling PS1000 at all.
frown.gif
This is not the end of the world, but still...However they do have HD800, for EUR 1000 only, and they are very positive about them and even they don't have any good headphone amp around, I am going to do some audition shortly...or maybe not...

What's their reason for not selling PS1000?

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #175 of 318
Their price tag of EUR 1999, which is the price tag of STAX, not sure which system, that they said better sounding for the money. Instead of PS1000 they offer me HD800, EUR 1000 only, which sells better/easier and also a very good headphone, they say. But when I asked them if they have any dedicated headphone amp, well, guess what, no. I decide it, at least for now, not to go and audition HD800, because of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's their reason for not selling PS1000?

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #176 of 318
i didn't need to read one review of these. i want them simply because they are the top grado. as many already know i just collect headphones. i have heard them and was not blown away. very good,yes. the best, among them.

i take that these are available online for shipment now? i don't know why brick and mortar shops are seeming not to have them. they all plan on getting them. everyone has the hd800.

honestly i am afraid i am pushing my luck with a $1,700 headphone that has already fallen apart on people. i am not bashing it i am just worried. my gs1000 have thousands of hours on them and for some reason they don't sound good to me anymore but they still work. i just hope when i get the ps1000 it stays together.

music_man

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #177 of 318
I finally get mine,the workmanship of psk is fine and so is its sound performance, i think it is the best grado headphone that ever made. When i listen to musical instrument and jazz, it can seriously outperform its rivals ie. HD800 and Edition 8

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

flawless workmanship and appearance
darthsmile.gif

IMG_6522.jpg

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #178 of 318
Another point of them, which I think pretty logical, was that people will come to us for PS1000 audition, but will buy them in U.S. and I cant blame them for saying that, cos its true. If I find someone in US who are willing to get them for me I will be getting them for EUR 1200 new, which is EUR 800 cheaper of the local price, a lot, if you ask me. But if I wait a while and come one used, which will go for like USD 1400, it will be EUR 1000 only.
Saying all that, Grado should change their sale policy, like Sennheiser does, at least between US and EU, where in US HD800 go for USD 1400 and up here EUR 1000, which is the same value. However it wouldnt be fair to other parts of the world, so, if you going to change it, change it all, imo.
Dont get me wrong, I am not looking for an discussion about Grado sale policy, been said nuff already, its just that those shops will not sell a single pair of them, so, why bother? Maybe it have something to do with Dutch mentality as well, dont know, but what I do know is what been said and thats the fact.
Other than that, they do have the whole Grado line, up to GS1000, no probs what so ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i didn't need to read one review of these. i want them simply because they are the top grado. as many already know i just collect headphones. i have heard them and was not blown away. very good,yes. the best, among them.

i take that these are available online for shipment now? i don't know why brick and mortar shops are seeming not to have them. they all plan on getting them. everyone has the hd800.

honestly i am afraid i am pushing my luck with a $1,700 headphone that has already fallen apart on people. i am not bashing it i am just worried. my gs1000 have thousands of hours on them and for some reason they don't sound good to me anymore but they still work. i just hope when i get the ps1000 it stays together.

music_man

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #179 of 318
I notice the recent pics of these show them with protection over the cups.Do they still have the finish that marks after touching?

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #180 of 318
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice the recent pics of these show them with protection over the cups.Do they still have the finish that marks after touching?

No such problem
darthsmile.gif
, i think you can treat its surface as those of PS-1 with the only exception of its letter.

IMG_3521.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back