GRADO PS-1 PRO -- IT'S OFFICIAL
Oct 28, 2003 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Sugano-san

1000+ Head-Fier
The following is a summary of the main characteristics of the new Grado PS-1 Pro headphones (i.e. all I could confirm):

- Dimensions: very similar to RS-1

- Headband, etc.: very similar to SR-325 (not like HP-1000)

- Looks: very similar to SR-325 (aluminium cups, no wood)

- Earpads: Bowl pads

- Drivers: improved version of the RS-1 drivers

- Drivers are not glued to the earcups, but a thread is cut into the inner side of the aluminium earcups, which are screwed on, so the drivers are held in place (kinda, please excuse the inaccurate description, I am not an engineer)

- Application: studios/professional audio/high-end home stereo

- Impedance: 32 Ohms

- Other measurements (frequency range, sensitivity, etc.): currently not available, but "similar" to RS-1

- Limited edition: I was told that only a limited number of these headphones will become available, but I could not get any definitive numbers.

- Availability: Currently only in Europe (German distributor says they have some in stock), and for the time being only in the german-speaking part of Europe, interest from Asia may lead to some supply for that region, too, no release of these headphones in the USA is currently envisaged.

- Hierarchy: I was told that the Grado PS-1 Pro will not apear in any pricelists, as it is a special and limited edition for Europe (or parts thereof). Therefore the current hierarchy of Grado headphones will not be affected.

- Headphone amp: No dedicated "pro" headphone amp is currently envisaged.

- History/Background: Grado (together with another company) developed wireless headphones that are available in the USA (and maybe elsewhere , too). The drivers in the new Grado PS-1 Pro are said to be one result of these development efforts. I was told that they are based on the RS-1's drivers, but improved.

- Sound: Apparently much better than the RS-1 (that's the least I would expect from an improved Grado model). The PS-1 Pro's volume is apparently ever so slightly lower than that of the RS-1, but not by a wide margin. The PS-1 Pro's resolution is reported to be much better than that of the RS-1 (again, that's the least one would expect). The reviewer of the hifi magazne told me over the phone that he prefers the sound of the PS-1 Pro overall to that of the RS-1, but did not make any more detailed statements.

- Price: EUR1,250 (in Germany)

All of the above information was confirmed this morning by the German distributor of Grado headphones. The first review is supposed to be published on December 19, 2003, in image hifi #55.

The following dealer is my personal recommendation on where to buy the Grado PS-1 Pro headphones. I have known Mr. Ahlefelder for some time, and before ordering my PS-1s, I had already purchased my Sonus Faber Amatis, my Clearaudio Matrix and numerous smaller items from him.

Very nice man, speaks English. He is aware what it means to be a hifi dealer in a competitive environment. He sorted out the PS-1 deal for me although I do not live in Germany. PS-1s are rare and (in theory) meant for the German market exclusively. But where's a will, there's a way, as they say.

Please feel free to contact me if you seriously consider purchasing these headphones; I will be honored to introduce you to Mr. Ahlefelder. Alternatively, make sure you mention the name "Jochen" to avoid misunderstandings when contacting him directly.

Here goes:

Mr. Kurt Ahlefelder
Hifi-Circle
Lievelingsweg 106
53119 Bonn
Tel. +49 228 967 6217
Fax +49 228 967 6218
info@hifi-circle.de
www.hifi-circle.de

Oct 28, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 30
thanks
rs1smile.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugano-san
Price: EUR1,250 (in Germany)

¡Ay carajo! Expensive.... Anyway, I would love to have one of those just because. Anybody wants to buy one of my lungs?

Oct 28, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugano-san
- History/Background: Grado (together with another company) developed wireless headphones that are available in the USA (and maybe elsewhere , too). The drivers in the new Grado PS-1 Pro are said to be one result of these development efforts. I was told that they are based on the RS-1's drivers, but improved.

Would it be the headphone from this?

ProductBrochure1.jpg

http://www.freesystems-grado-le.com/

Oct 29, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 30
Heh...Beagle and I have known about these phones for what...8 months now? They have been in private production for quite some time in the US to select professional studios. The fact they are being exclusively released in Europe is quite interesting...

More resolution than RS-1's? Hmmm, this could be interesting...but at what cost? Uber-bumped treble range? Heh...no thanks.

Maybe this is John's attempt at an HP-1000 cousin but is afraid to release publically in the US because of all the "I told you so's" he may receive
smily_headphones1.gif

Course...do they sound as good as the HP-1000's? At $2k Canadian...I won't be finding out any time soon. Sorry folks, when I reach that level of cost and the phones don't come with an amp...I'm turning to Stax...cause for that cost I can get Omega II's and nearly a full amp...

Oct 29, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 30
[size=medium]It would be nice if Alessandro release their own version of this phone. Maybe that's one way John can release the phone to the US while avoiding much of the "I told you so's!? I would be interested to know whether the phones combine the extreme clarity like the 325's/MS2's with the musicality of the RS1's/MSP's, . . . or are they even better![/size]

Oct 29, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 30
So wait..........can I buy them in the US? I WANT ONE
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone know of a dealer that will ship to the US.....pretty please????

By the way........this settles it - aluminum is better than wood
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 30
It looks like a compilation of already existing parts put into a wireless system?

"and receiver which incorporate the well-regarded Grado RA-1 headphone amplifier"

Sort of a let down really.

1250 euros = $1,461.38 USD

You could get a pair of HP-1's for that much. OUCH!

Mitch

Oct 29, 2003 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 30
for the first time in quite a few months, i can honestly say: i really want to hear these.

privately, for studios only? i want more information on these. why would john grado claim that they don't exist?

Oct 29, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
You could get a pair of HP-1's for that much. OUCH!

Yeah but the question is.... is this new headphone better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back