Grado PS-1 modification pics and quick question
Oct 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

A while ago, the right adjuster block failed on my Grado's resulting in the earpiece falling from the headphones, unfortunately picking up a few cosmetic scratches on its way down. I have tried to keep these in mint condition but thought, now they had picked up a few marks I would do a few upgrades.

My Dad is fortunately very handy at DIY, and has been working on the cases today. The rims are now completely polished (Chrome like) and all the marks have been buffed out (I was very lucky, all the marks were on the outer rim) He still has about another hour or 2 to completely finish the second cup but im very happy with the results, they look great!

Tomorrow he will be fitting my new Moon Audio Black Dragon cable, a little extra dampening and a JMoney headband.

Here's a few pics for anyone’s who's interested

5348219_713x531.JPG

5348233_676x475.JPG

5347576_859x517.JPG

Finally a quick question..

Has anyone had any experience with the metal Grado Yokes? Does anyone know if these disassemble? There seem to be 2 screws either side which we need to remove but don’t know if they are screwed in or bonded in somehow. Any advice would be most welcome.

5347540_399x482.JPG

Il post a pic of the finished article tomorrow

Pete

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 25
Great work polishing the cups.
smile.gif

Please keep up updated with pictures when it is all mounted with the Back Dragon cable and all.

Oct 4, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally a quick question..

Has anyone had any experience with the metal Grado Yokes? Does anyone know if these disassemble? There seem to be 2 screws either side which we need to remove but don’t know if they are screwed in or bonded in somehow. Any advice would be most welcome.

Curious as to how you detached the metal yokes from the cup without removing the "screws"?

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We put a little pressure at the top and bottom of the yoke to slightly bend the middle out and we were able to get them off. We bent them back perfectly and got the screws off in the end. They were really tight mind.

I see. So were the screws press fitted or do they actually screw in?
BTW, good job on the polishing. I've polished quite a few stuff in my time and it is quite a painstaking process.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 25
They do actually screw in. They were pretty tight but we got them off ok in the end. The cases are finished and back together now. We've changed the dampening inside because the old stuff had dried up and was brittle so thats gone. Recable tomorrow night and back on my ears by Tuesday :)

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 25
very very nice!

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 25
Hi Guys

Just thought i'd post my last two pics now my upgrading has finished. Im really happy with the way they turned out and the photo's don't really do them justice. The sound isn't quite there yet (they sounded awful last night ) but they've been burning in all night and the sound is getting better. I noticed there wasn't much dampening in the cups and Drew from Moon Audio suggested covering as much surface area as possible, which we've done. So it'll be interesting to see if that makes any difference. The wider JMoney headband is also proving popular and the new cable doesn't instantly tangle like my old stock one.

Here's the pics

5458230_795x989.jpg

5458232_644x912.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #13 of 25
Damn, those are really sick. Nice job on the restore, maybe try some fiberloft or some of the Acoustic Revive silk stuffing or even Dynamat to get the sound where you want it to be.

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Those are the nicest PS-1's I've seen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back