Grado PS-1 First Impressions
Apr 3, 2004 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
I received my PS-1s today along with my EAR HP-4. I quickly converted the HP-4 to U.S. voltage and got underway listening. I had been listening to my 650s on my Max for the last month, so I have gotten used to that general sound.

PS-1+Max - Not a bad combo, crossfeed makes almost no difference in terms of positioning, and actually differs from the 650 in that is seems to make the sound a little brighter (whereas with the 650s the bass can feel somewhat bloated). I had the RS-1s for about a week (I will get them back soon to do a comparison) and was not too thrilled with their sound out of the Max. The PS-1s definately have a different presentation (from what I can remember). The image is still very detailed, but definately not as bright as the RS-1. The bass is deep and textured. the combo doesnt sound as natural as the 650s+Max though, so given the choice I would probably prefer the 650s here given the other components in my system (see profile or sig).

PS-1+HP-4 - Listening to this as I type. Beautiful sound. In comparison to the max, the warmer sound really makes the PS-1s shine. Ive tested a few different genres so far with this setup and I am very impressed so far.

I really just wanted to start this thread, Ive only had the combo for about an hour (it took me about 20 min. to get it converted) so I havn't had much listening time.

I will update you guys with a full comparison, HD650s vs RS1s vs PS-1s with the MAX and the HP-4 soon. Pictures will be added soon as well.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 18
you lucky person. congrats.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 18
Congrats on the new toys. Just make sure to ask Hirsch which tubes work best in the HP4. He tuberolled it extensively, and is quite the expert.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 18
Isn't Hirsch right near Baltimore? Hmmm, maybe you and he could hook up for a nice PS-1/RS-1/HP-1 comparison.

Congrats!

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 18
Quite an amazing pile of stuff. We need a comparo with the Stax too!
280smile.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Isn't Hirsch right near Baltimore?

I think it would take about an hour for Hirsch to get to Baltimore from his place.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I think it would take about an hour for Hirsch to get to Baltimore from his place.

Then let's get this man in a car now and hopping over to see Hirsch and his museum of phones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 18
I think Hirsch prefers, "House of Tubes" actually.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Isn't Hirsch right near Baltimore? Hmmm, maybe you and he could hook up for a nice PS-1/RS-1/HP-1 comparison.

Congrats!

Alas, I don't have the HP4 anymore
frown.gif
It was time for it to find a new home.

However, if Fed Ex arrives on time Tuesday, I should have the HP-1, RS-1, MS Pro, and PS-1 under the same roof. A gaggle of Grado's, as it were. And I do have one or two amps left to play them with
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]Just how many Grados are in a gaggle, anyway???[/size]
confused.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

[size=xx-small]Just how many Grados are in a gaggle, anyway???[/size]
confused.gif

More than 2.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 18
Hirsch can I come over to play? Who needs an HP4 anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

All the top Grados under one roof...dang, how great! A thorough comparison would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back