Grado Prestige Headphones: AOE anger level + other Qs
Sep 13, 2009 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Puro

New Head-Fier
Hi, im thinking of investing in some Grado Prestige Headphones. What I would like to know is, would a person stood/sat next to myself on say a train, hear my music joy? As I would use these to commute to work, will I annoy the person sat/stood next to me, allowing him/her to hear much of what I am listening to? Atm I use Beyer DT770 pros and these seem to conceal my music very well, If i place them round my neck, I can barely/not at all hear my music. The reason I would change to grados is that they seem alot lighter and easier to manage. I find with my beyers when i place them around my neck it feels like I have some crazy neck-cast on. It feels as if I have been caught in a grenade blast and am recovering from hospital.

Also on another note, with a portable amp what would the best Prestige model suit me for SQ, would the SR325is be hard to drive?

I have seen lovely yellow ear pads, they are from Sennheiser I believe... I may be wrong here. Do all the Grado Prestige range of headphones use the same ear pads? What model from the Sennheiser range do these yellow pads come from and where in the UK could I buys these from, so I could apply them to the grados that I end up buying.

Cheers.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 12
I own the grado sr60i and they are horrible for the train. I still use them because I really like them and I can't afford to buy a new set of closed headphones. If I was making the decision today I would highly consider getting closed headphones. Not only does sound go out of the headphones but it also comes in. I'm the kind that likes to keep my music to myself and when I'm in a quiet public place I have to turn them down so much that while I can hear the music I find it too low to enjoy it.

Right now I carry both my SR60s and my IEMs. I bought the IEMs mainly for the portability, they are tiny and a lot easier to manage than my grados. Again I hate using my grados on the train, I have to turn them up loud which makes me concerned for my hearing. When I put them around my neck inside the train at 70-80% volume I can't hear them only at 100%. In a quiet place around my neck I hear them at 40-50% volume.

The grados are a little hard to manage because the cable is really long and thick. Although it is hard to manage I love the cable, the thickness makes it so satisfying, I just want to hug the cable or use it to choke somebody in front of me by rapping it around their neck. Also I love the way the grados look around my neck, even more with yellow senheisser 414 earpads.

That was long but basically it's hard to enjoy music on the train or in quiet places with the grados.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Well remind me not to stand in front of you while you are holding your grado cable. But to the OP the Grados leak a lot of sound. I love them to death but they are really loud to the people around you.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also on another note, with a portable amp what would the best Prestige model suit me for SQ, would the SR325is be hard to drive?

I have seen lovely yellow ear pads, they are from Sennheiser I believe... I may be wrong here. Do all the Grado Prestige range of headphones use the same ear pads? What model from the Sennheiser range do these yellow pads come from and where in the UK could I buys these from, so I could apply them to the grados that I end up buying.Cheers.

X4 on using Grado's or any open phone on public transport.

You don't need an amp, but a half decent source would be good. They'll run off Ipods etc, but not ideal.

I think those pads are 414s. Yes, my local dealer sells them for Grado/Alessandro, and they're basically the same as comfy pads, but cheaper. No idea where in the UK you'll get them.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well remind me not to stand in front of you while you are holding your grado cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should probably carry a boombox with you, it might leak out less sound than a pair of grados

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
funny responses
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
*cable choke*
ph34r.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 12
As several others have pointed out....the Grados leak a ton of sound. They also let a ton of sound in as their isolation is very poor so you have to play them at dangerously loud levels to cut the background noise.

I would suggest finding a cheap pair of closed phones for when you are on the train.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 12
IEM's, which usually provide good isolation, are excellent for trains and airplane flights.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As several others have pointed out....the Grados leak a ton of sound. They also let a ton of sound in as their isolation is very poor so you have to play them at dangerously loud levels to cut the background noise.

I would suggest finding a cheap pair of closed phones for when you are on the train.

It should be clarified; all open phones leak about the same - it's not a Grado thing.

Amount of leakage is directly proportional to volume, which is no good for passengers or your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back