Grado Predicament
Sep 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ipodlover77

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, in a bit of a pickle here. dont know exactly what to get.
grado sr60i for 60 shipped plus the pads bring it to 85 shipped (i know, 25 for pads!?)
the sr80 for 78 shipped
or the sr80i for 100. thats not an option tho so its comes down to the sr60i with pads vs the sr80.
what do you guys think? whats the better value and the better sounding product?
will the pads make a NOTICEABLE difference, in other words, do i have to buy them at the same time or is it safe to buy them at a later time.
ahh the decisions.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 23
Buy the JVC HA-RX700s, save $40+, mod them, and enjoy. I personally think they sound better than the SR60s (SR60s are, to me, too harsh and lack bass).

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, I think you'd be better off buying the MS1 for $99 shipped.

x2 .... this IS the best choice!

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 23
x3
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

There definitely are other headphones that can be preferred if willing to choose other than a Grado / Alessandro.

Maybe there are, but maybe he's also decided that he likes and wants Grado's.

Some people are hard pressed to find that much difference between the 60-80.

I agree with the MS1. Far better buck bang than anything SR60-125, given they're built around the 125. I have them, and whilst not heard the lower end Grados', they appear to have all the punch, without the harshness.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 23
No, there is no maybe about it. Again, there definitely are other headphones that can be preferred if willing to choose other than a Grado / Alessandro. Read post #3 in this thread if still in doubt. It actually is possible for people to compare Grado headphones to others and not prefer the Grados. And of course I am not suggesting the OP choose headphones that he does not like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe there are, but maybe he's also decided that he likes and wants Grado's.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 23
ahhh alright, the ms1 it is. only thing is im trying to buy used to save that extra couple of bucks. My daily driver are my westones so not looking to spend (i know, 100 dollar isnt alot but still) to much on full sized headphones. the ms1 dont need to be amped correct?
and is there any mods that are necessary (like the grado and the bowls)? im a bit tight on cash.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

FWIR, I think you'd be better off buying the MS1 for $99 shipped.

Ditto, the MS1 is an AWESOME Grado for $100 delivered.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will the pads make a NOTICEABLE difference, in other words, do i have to buy them at the same time or is it safe to buy them at a later time.

I'm going to refrain from making suggestion and it even may be too late for my response. The yellow senn 414 pads change the sound and you will notice it, whether it's an improvement many think it is.

You do not have to buy them at the same time. It is better to see if you like the stock pads. Also 25$ for pads is wayyy too much. I could buy 5 pairs!!! for that price.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 23
don't despair at the prospect of having a pair of Grado SR60's! these are fantasically fun phones and one of the great buys in audio.

take pleasure in the fact that you are operating within your current means as there are great things to be had at every price point. don't worry about the concept that "there's something better" and enjoy the music now!!!. when you can move up to something better, great. btw, the "something better" does not always bring greater pleasure anyway.

sr60's are awesome.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlover77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahhh alright, the ms1 it is. only thing is im trying to buy used to save that extra couple of bucks. My daily driver are my westones so not looking to spend (i know, 100 dollar isnt alot but still) to much on full sized headphones. the ms1 dont need to be amped correct?
and is there any mods that are necessary (like the grado and the bowls)? im a bit tight on cash.

The MS-1's do not need an amp to sound good, and you bet there are a ton of mods for them. Pads, quarter mods. New cups, distancers and the awesome MS-1000 mod. I can understand your situation on the cost, I have never heard the SR 60's but many people seem to enjoy them. The Alessandro MS-1 is a more refined SR125.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back