Grado Pads
Jan 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Arboginge911

100+ Head-Fier
I have the sr80i's and I'm looking to upgrade my pads, this is almost a must for me. I keep on reading about people debating between the Bowls, Flats and how crappy the regular comfies are. (I think? Haha)
I'm looking for a little more bass and an increase, or at least not a decrease, in the soundstage is always nice. 
Anyone have any advice on which to buy?
In all honesty, I'm kind of overwhelmed by the multitude of information out there, I'm having a tough time deciding!
Thanks so much for your help!

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 17
honestly the comfies arent bad. much more comfy than the bowls  (ones that come with the 225's). If you want more soundstage, try the salad bowls (the ones that come with the ps/gs1000). Dont use the reverse 414 pads because for me the bass becomes all messed up and hollow after i put them on my 325's

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks so much!
Would it make a noticeable difference if I were to tape my comfies? I've heard that helps with the leakage and improves the fullness of the bass hits 

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 17
Anyone have experience with the "salad bowls" on an SR60? I just don't find the bowls or comfies comfortable at all and want to try these. However, I've heard that they "mess up" the sound. Thoughts?

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 17
for me the qm 414's gave my 325's more soundstage but almost no bass, but everyone's different and YMMV

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Anyone have experience with the "salad bowls" on an SR60? I just don't find the bowls or comfies comfortable at all and want to try these. However, I've heard that they "mess up" the sound. Thoughts?

I've tried the big bowls (G cush) on the SR60i and SR325i, and to me, it completely trashed the sound. The treble became super hot and tizzy. The bass went out the door. The headphone sounded like a hissy tweeter that just stabbed your head. The only pad that I found that really sounded great and retained good bass was the L-cush pads.

Very best,

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I've tried the big bowls (G cush) on the SR60i and SR325i, and to me, it completely trashed the sound. The treble became super hot and tizzy. The bass went out the door. The headphone sounded like a hissy tweeter that just stabbed your head. The only pad that I found that really sounded great and retained good bass was the L-cush pads.

Very best,

Not to me.  I only listen to my 325i and PS500 with the G-Cushions.  Otherwise, I wouldn't put them on my head.  Big soundstage and comfy.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 17
Im using the L cush pads with mine, and its definitely an upgrade over the stock ones. Soundstage, clarity and helped a bit on the bass response. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 17
In my experience, I only use comfies.

smile_phones.gif

I personally think that every Grado headphone I've owned/tried is too bright otherwise.  But I am not a fan of a bright soundstage to begin with.

Bowls: less bass, way too bright, and less comfortable.  (Their size just do not match with my ears at all.)

Salad bowls: big fat midrange suckout.  Very comfortable though.

I have the TTVJ flats, and I honestly can't remember what I liked or didn't about these, but the reverse qtr mod'ed 414 pads sounded very similar.

If any one is having comfort issues with the comfies, I can only ask: have you bent the headband the way you're supposed to to relieve the pressure?

I believe that anyone who has a pair of Grados owes it to themselves to try out all the different pads, because it just doesn't cost that much to get a (sometimes) big difference in sound quality without having to buy a completely different set of headphones, at a much larger cost.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Amazing how people's reactions differ.  I couldn't take the feel of the Comfies, or the sound....too hot in the treble.  I found the reverse quarter mod 414's better but not ideal.  I eventually made my own pads, and used the sock mod on them.   Excellent results for me, with the overly bright original sound toned down, with no loss of clarity. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 17
I suppose that's one additional benefit: same pair of headphones, and you can use all the different pad variations to not only get the best sound, but the best comfort too. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 17
tried the qm 414's again, and found them to be not as bad as i had previously thought, the bass is definately there, but they made my 325's really bright

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Salad bowls/bagels sound terrible, even on their intended phones. Well, the PS1000 is ok except for the bass, but that's $1700 for just "ok". Comfies are kinda bad, probably because they cover the entirety of the driver. I like flats on pretty much everything. Squished bowls are a decent alternative, particularly for the HF2s, and some people like them best. Squished means you take something heavy and flat and literally squish your bowls for like a day. Never tried 414s, because I actually care about looks these days.

I gotta say, though, trying all these different pads on an SR80 doesn't make sense to me at all. The bagels alone are $45 from Todd... I say start experimenting on the 225 and up.

Jan 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
Salad bowls/bagels sound terrible, even on their intended phones. 

I like bright headphones, they're Grados for crying out loud.  Love the salad bowls as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back