Grado pads?... Comfeys -VS HD414
Mar 31, 2006 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Comfeys -VS- HD414

can someone compare these?

Someone a while ago did a detailed write up on the differences between ALL the pads... but I can't find it. Can someone post the link to that thread?

thanks!!
Garrett

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 12
Comfort wise, I find that the 414 pads are alot more comfortable, as they were less scratchy and had more cushioning. Otherwise, I don't really remember.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 12
I much preferred the hole-modded inverted HD414 pads for my SR225. They tamed the highs a bit and increased the bass a bit. I guess it could be said they moved the sonic signature a little lower on the ferquency chart, resulting in a very balanced sound.

The stock bowls were too bright for my rig at the time and a bit uncomfortable. The comfies were unbearably muddy, congested, bloated and lost all the air and detail. I haven't tried the flats.

Too bad the HD414 pads don't do too well with the already-bassy HF-1. I really need to find a synergistic amp to reduce the midbass bloat...

Mar 31, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 12
On my MS-1, I found that the comfies (even when they were hole modded) wer very muddy and congested. It was relitivley balanced, but it just took away from some of the fun factor that made me like them so much. The modded 414's on the other hand were much crisper and had much better bass (quantity and impact). Ever though the 414's pads did bring out a lot of the details, they still made the can lean toward the warm end of the spectrum. I would say that soundstage is very simaliar with both. The reversed 414's had a tad bit more, but nothing really notewarothy.

But right now I am in love with my Zeta flats. It just changes the whole nature of the headphone. I never thought I would ever hear a grado with soundstage, but I finally found it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting foam, since i have some tempur foam and was thinking about creating some pads out of it for a laugh. I have sum hd414's to replicate but how should i go about cutting it? Scissors, craft kinfe?

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 12
A very sharp blade (ie, razor), scissors, or a special tool called a hot wire cutter. It is just a wire with a battery attached to it that causes the wire to heat up. You can get one at a hobby shop or perhaps a fabrics store for ~$10. They work much better than a sharp blade if you are trying for neatness or cutting large amounts of foam.

For my RS/Bowls mod I just used scissors because the material was so thin.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 12
I used a 13/16 socket and an uncallibrated hammer, setting the pads on a scrap piece of lumber prior to punching the hole.

Next time I'll use a callibrated hammer.....or, maybe, with just a little more practice.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 12
thanks for the replys, a hot wire cutter sounds like it would work the best but seen as though im only gonna make one pair for fun i think ill just use scissors and a craft kinfe for the more complicated areas
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back