Grado pad types - clearing up
Mar 4, 2005 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mick

100+ Head-Fier
My question is, what pads are on Grados nowadays? I'm looking to expand from my 580s over to a comparable quality Grado can. I heard stories that stock models only come in comfies instead of bowls now, is that true? What pads does Allesandro use? Coming from a pair of wireless RCA headphones I use for tv that are constantly at my ears, I don't think I'll really mind the bowls (or is it flats I'm thinking of? gah!). If anyone could clear this up I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 9
As far as i know,

sr60 and MS1, these two are shipped with comfies

All other grados and alessandros - bowls.

And it looks to me you should look at Larry's(headphile.com) C-pads. I have been reading that they uber comfortable, with distinct sound improvement to boost.

Mar 5, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by holeinmywallet
sr60 and MS1, these two are shipped with comfies

All other grados and alessandros - bowls.

Seems like bowl rated lower than the other pads ? If that's so, why do they come as standard on higher Grado models ?

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Seems like bowl rated lower than the other pads ? If that's so, why do they come as standard on higher Grado models ?

John likes the sound of bowls more than flats. so no more flats on new production grados. but bowls annoyed the populace, so the lowest model of grado and alessandro cans get the "more comfortable" pad, or Comfies.

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 9
HI: When I went to the store with my portable radio and MS-1 to hear the Grado 325i the 325i had the bowl pads on and they sounded bad so I took the comfy pads off my 99.00 MS-1 and put them on the 325i and boy did they sound allot better. I left the store with the comfy pads on the 325i. LOL.

Mar 5, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Bowl bashing was all the rage for a while. Now I think there are a good number of people who have been able to try both the bowls and flats (thanks to Todd), and now preferences are more evenly divided.

I haven't seen a poll in a while -- maybe it's time for one.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 9
How comfortable really are the comfies? Doesn't the driver practically touch your ear if the pad gets worn down enough?

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 9
They are rather comfortable, even if they make your ears hot after half an hour... This is true that they are less effective than other pads, but you can mod them the same way we do for the 414 pads (yellow).
I just received my bowls and flats pairs today, and frankly I can't tell which one I prefer : they both give new perspectives to my MS-1. Same thing as usual :
Bowls : more clear and detailled, less muddy and more dynamic bass
Flats : More full and generous bass, energetic mids.

But I like them both, they are complementary. The next week I'll know if I can get 2 pairs of 414 and mod one of them. Many people on the forum say that 414 are the extra low-price comfort and bass mod.

About conmfort on Bowls and Flats : bowls are not so harch for me, nor the flats.

I don't think it is a good idea to get the driver too close from you ears, you won't win very much. Flats, Bowls and modded other pads are opened to the driver and that's enough to free the sound you were loosing (not that much, don't worry).
Flats are the closest from the drivers. What is curious is that you can listen at a rather loud volume with less fatigue to your ears than with the comfies at a bit lower volume. And it is fairly great. Furthermore you don't need to use a high volume to have a good sound. With bowls you have to push them a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back