Grado outer-ear positioning
Sep 8, 2009 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

radiohlite

100+ Head-Fier
so i was listening to pink noise on me Grados when i noticed how much of a difference in SQ the way the bowls sit on the ear make. it's pretty drastic, to the point where they sound completely different.
i'm making this point bacause there are TONS of people who can't stand the 'shrillness' and lack of bass of most lower-end Grados, and I have a feeling it may be due to this little phenomenon.
if you have small outer-ears, where the bowls become circum-aural, it's probably worse, since that is my case. what i did though, was position the bowls so the inner edge is sitting ON the earlobe and top part of the pinnae, and the edge of me ear is in line with the edge of the bowl.
now, what do you know! the pink noise is more balanced, not grating and in-your-face. and there's bass.
i did extensive testing with sine waves, pink noise, & Telarc recordings, and concluded it's reasonably flatter. there's also more soundstage, more 'air' around the instruments, and separation.

so you people try this before you go around dissing Grado!

Sep 8, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 9
You may be unto something here. My pinnae are large enough for me to completely surround my ears with the bowls on my SR325is. I've since tried what you're saying. I've fit them so that they're a bit more forward placed. The posterior border of the bowls are now resting on my pinna. There is indeed a difference in sound. However, there's a new dimension in comfort... again, I'd need to break my ears in.
frown.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys can read about this on the Meier Website under headphone tricks:
Meier-Audio

That's interesting, because I naturally adjust my MS1s to where the music sounds loudest. When I threw them forward a centimeter or so, the volume drops a bit, but the treble that's been annoying me toned down a little, it feels more comfortable, and nothing sounds muffled.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 9
I was reading a magazine article about the HD-800 and how the angled drivers made the most natural-sounding soundstage the author has heard on headphones. he proceeded to experiment with his hd-650, making the drivers 25-degree angled, and concluded that it also was an improvement.

i noticed placing the Grado bowls in the manner described in me first post also angles the drivers a bit...so that's probably why the soundstage is nicer.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 9
i tried this after reading on the meier audio website, i found it alot more comfortable because i wear glasses and the bowls pinch on the end on my frames -.-'.
trying to find the position on my comfs, i think its harder, comfs definately dont sound as good as bowls IMHO

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 9
The good thing about it is that as you use this new positioning more often, it'll become your new comfort zone with the Grado fit. The old positioning begins to feel odd.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiohlite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading a magazine article about the HD-800 and how the angled drivers made the most natural-sounding soundstage the author has heard on headphones. he proceeded to experiment with his hd-650, making the drivers 25-degree angled, and concluded that it also was an improvement.

i noticed placing the Grado bowls in the manner described in me first post also angles the drivers a bit...so that's probably why the soundstage is nicer.

I didn't notice much of a difference by changing the angle of my headphones. In my case, I think it was that I had quarter modded my MS1s. So when I moved the driver forward a centimeter, the center of the quarter mod was a closer to the front of my ear. I think it still lets through the non-muddy treble, but it has to bounce around in my outer ear a bit before I hear it. That's what I think is happening, at any rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back