Grado or Not???
Oct 7, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mikeruss

New Head-Fier
Hi all

Newbeeee question coming up.

Based on reviews only I am thinking about Grado 80's and perhaps pushing upto 125's, but I am totally new to the headphone game., so any other advice would be great.

FYI my full size set up is: Roksan Kandy MkIII amp and Dynaudio 52's which I love, lots of power and upfront. My music taste is most easily said as anything apart from rock and classical. So, Jazz, Dance, Folky vocal stuff like KT Tunstall Beth Orton etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 18
Generally the Grado's are recommended as a top choice for people who listen to rock... I love my SR225's, and wouldn't steer you away from Grado's. However, I wonder considering your home system and music you listen to if people would find another can, perhaps the Sennheiser HD580 to better suit your needs. Used pairs go for about $125 here, and new ones are available for 169 from an authorized Sennheiser dealer on ebay.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 18
It's all just opinions, of course, and everyone has one, but about eight years ago when I got my first phones, someone suggested SR80s to me, and I have never regretted it. When I got my Ed9s, I thought, maybe I could let go of them, but I didn't--I got the 325s instead, thinking I'd just pump up the Grado end of things. Then I thought I'd let someone else have the 80s, but no, I guess I can't let go of them, because in some ways I like them the best, in spite of their lowly status and cost. So I say: go for it.

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeruss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all
FYI my full size set up is: Roksan Kandy MkIII amp and Dynaudio 52's which I love, lots of power and upfront. My music taste is most easily said as anything apart from rock and classical. So, Jazz, Dance, Folky vocal stuff like KT Tunstall Beth Orton etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Two sets of phones come to mind when talking about all kinds of music other than rock and classical: The MS-1 and the HD580/600.

When you mention up-front sounds, then the MS-1 is a good choice as they put the listener right in the middle of the action. The HD580/600 puts you a couple rows back.

The MS-1 is usually considered a bit better for actual rock; it's more neutral, not as exciting as traditional Grados, and the HD580/600 is excellent for actual classical. But both MS-1 and HD580/600 play all the stuff between rock and classical quite well.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 18
If it's at all possible for you, try and audition the Grado's for at least an hour straight before you buy them. I find them incredibly uncomfortable, even with the flat pads. However, your experience might be different, but you don't want to be dropping dough just to find out you can't really wear them for more than 30 minutes.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's at all possible for you, try and audition the Grado's for at least an hour straight before you buy them. I find them incredibly uncomfortable, even with the flat pads. However, yoru experience might be different, but you don't want to be dropping dough just to find out you can't really wear them for more than 30 minutes.

Yes, the Grado's are somewhat uncomfortable...if you position them just right they are fine...but they tend to slip and find a way to annoy you again.

I like my SR125's...they're just alright, though. Probably worth the money, all in all. Certainly not a great deal or anything, though.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 18
I have a pair of MS1s, and I ask myself if I like them or not after a couple of months ownership.

As stock, they were too sibilent (? - the highs seemed strong, but little bass). Put the yellow SENN 414 pads on, which helped a bit. A tape material wrap helped a bit to increase the low end, too.

But why am I modding them to get a sound I like?

If you have the money to experiment, I'd suggest going for it, as Grado 'phones seem to hold their value reasonably well and you can sell them reasonably easy.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 18
Grados are not uncomfortable if you set them up correctly, you just gotta bend the headband out until the drivers are not clamping on your ears. I can wear my SR225s for hours on end now without any ill effects, especially since they let my ears breath so well. I love these headphones.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 18
Grados aren't for everyone. Some find them too brash, and between their comfort and mom'n'pop build quality, they can be quirky. But those who love their sound can become quite enthusiastic (one of my nicknames for my wife is "Grado widow"
icon10.gif
). I'd say you'd be doing yourself a favor to see if they're for you, as they're quite easy to unload if things don't work out. Oh, and go for the 125's; why risk loving the 80's but wondering what you're missing out on in the 125's?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #11 of 18
Ok this is odd, I wore my Grado's for 6 hours yesterday and around hour 3 they started to really press on the top of my ears and caused extreme discomfort. Today, I put them on again after not doing anything and they feel perfectly comfortable.

Maybe I killed the nerves in my ears?

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok this is odd, I wore my Grado's for 6 hours yesterday and around hour 3 they started to really press on the top of my ears and caused extreme discomfort. Today, I put them on again after not doing anything and they feel perfectly comfortable.

Maybe I killed the nerves in my ears?

The concept behind the Grado pads is that they will tend to conform to the listeners ears by controlled break-down of the pad material due to contact with the oils in the skin. It takes some persistence, but they can become quite comfortable over time. I can now wear my heavier MS2i almost as long as I'd like, any time that I like with no problem at all.

There is hope!

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 18
Yeah, I've heard they get more comfortable over time, but I didn't exactly want to wait through the 2-3 months of pain just to get to that point.

Well, I guess it's too late to cancel my K701 order anyhow. I'll do some comparisons when they arrive.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 18
my first grado - was sr-325i, i started looking at the sr60 - which people have a lot of love for, then i looked at the 80, 125, 225. and decided on the 325i
smily_headphones1.gif

go as high up the range as you 'can'!!

edit: welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 18
Just my 2c

GS1000 or AKG K340 fully modded. Both are great phones with everything you need for your music preferences, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeruss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all

Newbeeee question coming up.

Based on reviews only I am thinking about Grado 80's and perhaps pushing upto 125's, but I am totally new to the headphone game., so any other advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back