Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 23, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #76 of 722
If you can, try them in a cup that has a press-fit for them...no foam or rubber between them and the cup (this is hard to get sometimes, and I use thin strips of electrical tape if I have a hair's breadth to fill). 

From memory (my first V6 build was a pair of press-fit cups) this should make them more neutral. Not as neutral and transparent as the Ypsilon (again, from memory, could be wrong, and as always, YMMV), but more than the foam/rubber mount.

Sorry for all these questions but how are they with Flats?

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #77 of 722

If you can, try them in a cup that has a press-fit for them...no foam or rubber between them and the cup (this is hard to get sometimes, and I use thin strips of electrical tape if I have a hair's breadth to fill). 

From memory (my first V6 build was a pair of press-fit cups) this should make them more neutral. Not as neutral and transparent as the Ypsilon (again, from memory, could be wrong, and as always, YMMV), but more than the foam/rubber mount.

Are they (V6 and Ypsiolon) the same diameter. I'm thinking about switching the drivers?

They are indeed.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
...the Ypsilon...

How are mids? I'm anticipating the mids on Ypsilon to be littler thinner sounding and V6 mids fuller and warmer?

The mids mids on both are full and warm. On the Ypsilon though, they are not as "front and center" as with the V6. They are less emphasized in relation to the highs and lows.

Sorry for all these questions but how are they with Flats?

LOL. No worries :)

I tried mine with a pair of TTVJ flats. They sound almost like a pair of V6. They get that bass boost. At first I liked it, then I realized I had lost what made them special in the first place. The bass was no longer as honest as it had been before.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #78 of 722

They are indeed.

The mids mids on both are full and warm. On the Ypsilon though, they are not as "front and center" as with the V6. They are less emphasized in relation to the highs and lows.

LOL. No worries :)

I tried mine with a pair of TTVJ flats. They sound almost like a pair of V6. They get that bass boost. At first I liked it, then I realized I had lost what made them special in the first place. The bass was no longer as honest as it had been before.

Great to hear. Thanks.

Jan 23, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #79 of 722
nice review fleas.....If they want to move some of these units a link to their site would help, as a google 'Elleven Acoustica Ypsilon' didn't bring anything up for me? ......hey sling how's it going!? Sounds like we got a new driver to play with! .....time to get busy fine tuning this beast eh, see if we can rival joe's best efforts? pressfit/foam....heavy cup/light cup......pad tweaks etc...... I would suggest they get passed on to the central scrutinizer tyll for a diagnostic. To get some objective comparison to our other magnum and grado builds. He ususally gets them in and out in a week's time...

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #80 of 722
nice review fleas.....If they want to move some of these units a link to their site would help, as a google 'Elleven Acoustica Ypsilon' didn't bring anything up for me? ......hey sling how's it going!? Sounds like we got a new driver to play with! .....time to get busy fine tuning this beast eh, see if we can rival joe's best efforts? pressfit/foam....heavy cup/light cup......pad tweaks etc...... I would suggest they get passed on to the central scrutinizer tyll for a diagnostic. To get some objective comparison to our other magnum and grado builds. He ususally gets them in and out in a week's time...

I'm not a diy guy so we will see.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #81 of 722

Have a look here:

http://www.ellevenacoustica.com/products

I agree...some measurements might be a good idea...

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #83 of 722
  Just ordered mine :). How long did you wait for a shipment?

Trying to remember. Something like a week, maybe a few days more. I am based in the US, in Southern California. They ship from Greece. Wait was standard for stuff coming from outside the US.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #84 of 722
After waiting for 3 hours on Saturday morning at the Johannesburg International postal hub, I finally got my Ypsilon drivers. It took about 8 days to get here. I'm hopefully getting the cups cut this week so that I can build them next weekend. Also got a pair of V6's, looking forward to hear them both.

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #85 of 722
After waiting for 3 hours on Saturday morning at the Johannesburg International postal hub, I finally got my Ypsilon drivers. It took about 8 days to get here. I'm hopefully getting the cups cut this week so that I can build them next weekend. Also got a pair of V6's, looking forward to hear them both.

Joburg? I'm sorry...(I grew up near Durban :))

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #87 of 722

The one! I'm not originally from Joburg though, grew up in George but moved here because of work.

...man...that's rough. George and Knysna are like paradise on earth. I should talk though. I grew up in Eshowe and Underberg areas. Now I live in the suburban wilds of So-Cal...

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #90 of 722
  @fleas,Thanks for the link, I wonder why the google search didn't turn up a link to their page....

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Ypsilon+Elleven+Acoustica

Yeah, I noticed they had no ranking with Google either...odd. Give it time I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back