Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by fleasbaby, Aug 12, 2016.
First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30
Next

Last
  1. capnjack
    R.i.p my left Nhoord red driver just died on the ‘operating table’ during surgery!
    Sadly whilst de-soldering/changing my ‘too stiff’ spc cable, I lost focus and managed to remove the board from the driver instead of the cable :frowning2: :frowning2:
    Lesson learned :frowning2:
    New pair ordered, audio bliss about a week away :wink:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    WoodyLuvr likes this.
  2. DavidA
    Maybe a good reason to make removable cables?

capnjack likes this.
  3. capnjack
    That’s what I was replacing the ‘too stiff’ spc cable with.
    Those smc plugs are a bugger to solder, but after a couple I got the knack! :)

4. DavidA
    I'm old so I need a magnifier to work on the SMC jacks, LOL. Do you have a good source for the female SMC jacks that are reasonably priced? I've found the ones from Vetco to be great in quality but also the most pricy: https://vetco.net/products/smc-female-chassis-mount-connector These are the best for TH-XXX mods but the thread area is a bit short for some of the wood cups so I've been using some from Ebay but I have to cut of part of the jack since the opening is too small to anything larger than 28AWG wire.

WoodyLuvr likes this.
  5. capnjack
    I know what you mean about the eye sight thing! lol I got my SMC’s from Ali-ex, but I can’t find them on there now :frowning2: oh, and they take 24awg wire too!

6. WoodyLuvr
    You should have seen the royal mess :face_palm: I made of my smc connectors... they were entirely covered in solder... one giant connector so I finally had to have @DavidA send me a pair already soldered up to SPC cables!:man_dancing:

DavidA and capnjack like this.
  7. capnjack
    That was nice of him ! They really are a pain to do until you get the hang of it :wink:

DavidA likes this.
  8. capnjack
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    WoodyLuvr likes this.
  9. WoodyLuvr
    Sunglasses prepared and ready for the first pic!

capnjack likes this.
  10. DavidA
    I've got pink, yellow and lime green cables, LOL
    Cables-4.jpg

Cables-2.jpg

capnjack and WoodyLuvr like this.
  11. capnjack
    Well, it’s my first cable! A bit rough around the edges admittedly, the hole for the plug is a bit small for the outer layer on the cable, but I can enlarge it next time. Now all I need are some smc plugs to finish it off!

82D30B8C-E021-4B4B-88A4-C180FFC39966.jpeg

DavidA likes this.
  12. Oscar-HiFi
    You can get the minature starquad from Van Damme, it has the same inner strands but a lighter jacket. It's what I use :D

_DSC0011_DxO.jpg

capnjack likes this.
  13. DavidA
    @capnjack, you might want to try other 3.5mm jacks that have a larger opening so you don't have to use heat shrink to scale it down. The 3.5mm jack from Double-Helix is not bad and most Eidolic jacks offer a slightly larger cable opening as well. You might also want to use heat shrink on the runs from the splitter but try to find heat shrink tubing that is either thinner or when using a heat gun to stretch it a little so the covering is slightly thinner. To make the process of stretching the heat shrink I use some hot glue to keep the tubing from sliding when I heat it and try to do it a small section at a time so I can keep the over all thickness constant.

WoodyLuvr and capnjack like this.
  14. capnjack
    Thanks, I’ll give it a look and see what I can find

15. capnjack
    Those v8s look absolutely stunning!
    Oh, I just ordered some of the mini starquad too. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Oscar-HiFi likes this.
First

Back
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
25 26 27 28 29 30