Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Sep 7, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #286 of 597
Question: Do you guys put dampening material in your wood cups? If so, why? Isn't the point of using wood cups for the resonances?

I usually use dynamat in all my builds / mods of Grado headphones. I use the dynamat to add mass to the cups which I feel tightens up the bass and gives the illusion of going lower. I think the shape and internal volume of the cup has more of an impact on the sound than the "resonance" of the wood cups if using dynamat. I do have one pair of cups that don't have dynamat but since its a GS style cup I liked the sound better without dynamat with the Nhoord Red V2 driver.
Does it not reduce some unwanted reflection of sound as well?

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #287 of 597
It might not help with unwanted reflections unless you take of the metal backing. Also can use it on the back of drivers which have no damping material but I think sorbothane works better for this, just don't cover up vent holes on the magnet housing.

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #288 of 597
Just finished building 2 headphones over the weekend, one with the Symphones Magnum V7 drivers and the other with Nhoord red drivers. A very simple affair, easily the most time consuming portion is the braiding of the cable.

I bought the headphones frames from Taobao and it comes fully assembled. The wood are South Africa Ebony and Rosewood. Each frame is about $100 shipped to Singapore, and come with 2 different set of pads, 3M grills and pads which I didn't use.

The cups are screwed together, with SMC connectors, so it's a simple matter to unscrew the cups, attached the drivers to the cup lids with double-sided mounting tapes (because the drivers are slightly smaller than the lids), solder the connecting wires to the drivers and screw back the lid. At this point, your headphone portion is basically done.

Here they are with the balanced cables attached. I used silver plated wires terminated in 4 pole XLR plugs.

Nice builds! One question though, what cable are you using to connect your drivers to the smc sockets?

Sep 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #289 of 597
Nice builds! One question though, what cable are you using to connect your drivers to the smc sockets?
SPC cable... @DavidA soldered it to the female SMC jacks for me. I added the black heat shrink.
IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_20170704_152926.jpg

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #291 of 597
I've got wood!

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

This pair of striped rosewood? cups turned up today with a metal band and tan leather headband (included in price) from Rholupat :)
Can't hardly wait for my other goodies from around the globe to get here so I can start the build!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #293 of 597
@capnjack, are you sure those are rosewood? they look more like Angsana / Philippine mahogany which I like better BTW.
I was dubious myself of the colour, but happy enough! Got a great deal as they threw in metal band and a tan leather headband too for $65+ shipping:wink:

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #294 of 597
I was dubious myself of the colour, but happy enough! Got a great deal as they threw in metal band and a tan leather headband too for $65+ shipping:wink:
Damn that's a great deal :ksc75smile:
my plate pressed the moue key by accident, wanted to ask if you also got the new rod blocks from Rholuplat?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #295 of 597
Damn that's a great deal :ksc75smile:
my plate pressed the moue key by accident, wanted to ask if you also got the new rod blocks from Rholuplat?
No, I was gonna use the ones from my 60's, but I bought a Sony 7506 headband on Ali-x instead.

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #296 of 597
Got fed up with waiting for deliveries, so I threw my 60s into these! They'll tide me over until Nhoords and cable turn up :wink:

IMG_0448.JPG

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #297 of 597
Finding this combo simply holographic today, call it what you will - new build pride...... But wow, when you've got wood, it certainly makes the Grados sing. Can't wait to get my Nhoords and re-cable. :)

IMG_0449.JPG

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #299 of 597
Venus Audio cable arrived and now soldered in. Still waiting for Reds, Sony headband and a pair of Rholupat's Satin Rosewood cups.

What pads are you guys leaning towards at the moment?

Just got a pair of generic L & G cush, but find that the G's need a bit more volume than the L's.
Still get goose-bumps listening to 'Stairway to Heaven' with both though!

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #300 of 597
What pads are you guys leaning towards at the moment?

Just got a pair of generic L & G cush, but find that the G's need a bit more volume than the L's.
My Nhoord Red v2 build is 2.5 months old now and am enjoying them immensely.

Regarding ear pads I am now leaning towards the Grado L-Cush over the Generic G-Cush but not by much... my order of preference for both sound and comfort is as follows:

Grado L-Cush
Generic G-Cush
Grado G-Cush
Generic L-Cush

Users who are viewing this thread

Back