Grado modders go Magnum
Sep 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #2,881 of 4,994
  Nice...kinda got a golden hue.

Are you going to do a review on the different drivers?

Yes.  Most certainly.  I'm getting acclimated with the RS1i and PS-500 at this time and noting some of the differences already.  While the sound is "up there" I can see how the variances between the two headphones are different.

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2,882 of 4,994
Special news announcement ...

My Magnum X drivers arrived from Singapore this morning.  Exactly 13 days after placing the order.  It was a good thing I was home as they are shipped via registered mail and this is a package that does need the signature of the receiver.

I had a chance to get the drivers out of the envelope and the protective plastic, but that was about it.  I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and had been involved in a fair bit of volunteer work though the day.  I'm excited to get rolling as all the pieces are ready.  But, I don't want to solder when I'm a bit drowsy.

Maybe later this evening.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,883 of 4,994
Lucky man!! Mine now say dispatched, hopefully I have them in two weeks!

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #2,884 of 4,994
Lucky man!! Mine now say dispatched, hopefully I have them in two weeks!

I think you'll be in good shape.  When you go to the DHL International site with the number provided by Turbulent Labs, look a bit lower on the screen and you'll see a number/letter combination next to the "Tracking Number" label.  Using that number, you can track your package on the USPS Web site.  The DHL site with the initial number utilized really won't change once your shipment gets moving.   Mine spent a few days in Germany, then made it to the U.S., along with a few days in New York as it went through customs.  Then, the drivers departed from Flushing, NY and arrived within 3 days.

Best of luck!

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2,885 of 4,994
I think you'll be in good shape.  When you go to the DHL International site with the number provided by Turbulent Labs, look a bit lower on the screen and you'll see a number/letter combination next to the "Tracking Number" label.  Using that number, you can track your package on the USPS Web site.  The DHL site with the initial number utilized really won't change once your shipment gets moving.   Mine spent a few days in Germany, then made it to the U.S., along with a few days in New York as it went through customs.  Then, the drivers departed from Flushing, NY and arrived within 3 days.

Best of luck!
Thank you sir for that information, I would have gone nuts if I saw dispatched with no update for a week solid.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #2,886 of 4,994
I ordered mine on the 15th and it's at "ordered and dispatched" on DHL. No info still on Canada Post. Not too worried though I'm sure it'll go on a boat/plane at one point in time...

Meanwhile we'll have to live vicariously through Wayne's build :wink:

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #2,887 of 4,994
Meanwhile we'll have to live vicariously through Wayne's build :wink:

After an earlier nap, I got to work as I previously had the cups finished and the cable built.  I've had them on my ears for about 4 hours now.  So far, so good.  I don't want to hurt the anticipation of anyone, but I will say that they sound better than the SR-325 as I recall.  They are up there.  I've been going back and forth with my RS1i, too.  I haven't tried the PS-500s against them, though.

I had read some earlier comments on how some people felt that the Turbulent Labs Magnum X drivers were noted to have less bass than the previous version.  I only saw this comment one time, but not mentioned really after that.  The balance on the Magnum X is nice and smooth. Unless you're the most serious of bass heads, then the bass will certainly suffice.  To get any more bass out of these, I have a feeling that the bass would be way too muddy.  A balanced sound is what I certainly always try to achieve.  The bass on the Magnum X is right up there with what my RS1i is capable of.  Granted, I'm not ready to indicate that it's able to out-do the RS1i as more testing is needed.  In my case, I'm feeling that the RS1i might have the edge and that being through some slightly better refinement.  Again, though, it's too early to tell.  The drivers are just getting rolling so it will take more testing.

I think it might be a bit hard to read too far into my comments to glean where I'm going with this.  I'm tired again, and probably should stop typing before I start talking in circles.  Time for sleep.  
basshead.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,888 of 4,994
Don't worry about me being AWOL and not providing updates.  Been a bit busy with outside things that have been distracting me from getting the Magnum finished up.  While I'm enjoying it greatly, I'm also trying to find an area where I'll use it.  I went ahead with the plans for this build before I came across a great offering for a pair of PS-500 Grados.  With the Magnum drivers on their way and no way to hold the process, I pushed ahead with the build.  Having 3 pair of pretty darn good headphones might be a bit too much if I don't have time to use them ... and a DAC issue causing me to be on a search at the moment.

Edit: Here's a better picture that depicts the final finish a bit better than the previous shots, which were hampered by the light a bit.  In this shot, you can see the finished cable, too.   It is an 8' Mogami Gold Neglex cable with nylon paracord sheathing on the complete cable, along with Techflex / Pet below the yoke or "Y" connector.  To minimize microphonics, I only applied the Techflex in the indicated area, and didn't run it all the way up to the cups.  

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,891 of 4,994
Hi All...am double posting, but after dropping this in the Grado Modders thread I realized I was in the wrong place...

Can anyone share the diameter and height of the magnum X drivers? Want to get a good, close fit on some cups I am having made. They will be aluminium, so not much room for correction after they have been done :D and I am still waiting for my pair of drivers to arrive.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2,893 of 4,994
LOL...well, hopefully they work out...the guy said to give him a week to get one pair done. If these are awful, I might get a pair of outer cups done and start hunting for wood sleeves. Couldn't pass up a chance to possibly make a PS1 clone.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #2,894 of 4,994
Hi All...am double posting, but after dropping this in the Grado Modders thread I realized I was in the wrong place...

Can anyone share the diameter and height of the magnum X drivers? Want to get a good, close fit on some cups I am having made. They will be aluminium, so not much room for correction after they have been done
biggrin.gif
and I am still waiting for my pair of drivers to arrive.

I had a pair of v. 3.5 drivers, but the dimensions should be the same.  They are as follows:

* Diameter: 1 13/16"

* Depth: 5/32"

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #2,895 of 4,994
I was able to get the brown pebble grain headband sewn this evening.  I basically made a new, padded cover for the Sony headband that I had purchased for this project.  I should be able to get the assembly done this coming Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back