Grado modders go Magnum
Aug 29, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,816 of 4,994
Hello, nobody have convert the magnum driver in a Gs1000 clone?...

The bass are deeper, more defined treble and sound, have one of the greatest scenes I've ever enjoy.
You only need a heavy wood cup and jumbo pads, you can get this from China, then costs around 20€.
Them need open four holes in the drivers like in the original Gs1000, order to obtain the sound.

Greetings from Chiclana´s summer.
Francisco Cabillas.

Where can one find bowl pads for $20, net address?

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,817 of 4,994
Quote:
might i suggest limba, sir?

Already got some mahogany that i've been wanting to use for the better part of 5 years.  Maybe if i ever make another i'll look into more exotic wood.

Quote:
Great! How about showing us some pics of your build as you go.

Of course!

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,818 of 4,994
Quote:

Already got some mahogany that i've been wanting to use for the better part of 5 years.  Maybe if i ever make another i'll look into more exotic wood.

Of course!

limba isn't -exotic- 

it's actually cheap as all get out.

Grado uses mahogany, but what they don't tell you is it's a special brooklyn mahogany that isn't really mahogany, it's much softer, like limba.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,820 of 4,994
Any recommendations for a good cable? The original one, on mine Grado SR 325is, is quite heavy, but it's sad that it's doing its job nicely. I wonder will an investment in a new cable (hopefully not more than 100$) make any difference in sound quality. Found something on headphone lounge, have anyone tried them yet? Anyway, any opinion is welcome! 

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,821 of 4,994
Quote:
Any recommendations for a good cable? The original one, on mine Grado SR 325is, is quite heavy, but it's sad that it's doing its job nicely. I wonder will an investment in a new cable (hopefully not more than 100$) make any difference in sound quality. Found something on headphone lounge, have anyone tried them yet? Anyway, any opinion is welcome! 

I have 2 cables from Headphone lounge (for both my IEMs and Magnums) as well as a full Magnum Build. The cables from them are of very high quality and craftsmanship and are very reasonably priced. Even for a skeptic like me who can't tell the difference between a Fiio E17 and a Nuforce HDP, the second I plugged in the new cables for my TF10's, the sound sounded MUCH cleaner. I am not overexaggerating, that's what it sounded like to my ears and this is without burn in. As I am listening to them more and more, I can literally hear the sound smoothing out and becoming even cleaner and more refined. Can't go wrong with Headphone Lounge, great bunch of guys that are there to help you and genuinely care.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,822 of 4,994
Quote:

IMO the main reason to change the newer garden hose cord is for comfort i.e. weight or length. You can change the sound signature with cables, but not necesarrily improve it. It's the same cable in Grado's best headphones so they think it's right for the job. 
The aftermarket cables from headphone lounge (I have Grados cabled by Chris) are very good and allow you to get a lighter cable in the length you desire. For under $100 I don't think you should expect any noticeable "improvement" to the SQ, but others may have a different opinion.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,823 of 4,994

Cables made no difference to me. It was grado 8 conductor vs braided silver core.

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,826 of 4,994
Quote:
I guess you can use any wood they make acoustic instruments out of. I imagine some varieties are easier work with than others.

you can use any wood period.. Just don't expect it all to sound the same, or even remotely close.

Quote:

You won't hear a difference as far as the cable goes, unless something is wrong with the new cable. 

Headphone lounge is well respected around here.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #1,827 of 4,994
Quote:

limba isn't -exotic- 

it's actually cheap as all get out.

Grado uses mahogany, but what they don't tell you is it's a special brooklyn mahogany that isn't really mahogany, it's much softer, like limba.

It's worth mentioning that there is a variety of mahogany species. The two most common being African and Honduran (sometimes referred to as South American).

The difference between the two is staggering. They are similar, much like vanilla ice cream and vanilla frozen yogurt. They are easily mistaken for each other, but when you really get down to it the differences are huge.

Honduran mahogany is considered to be a better tonewood than African. It is also much lighter and softer. Honduran's end grain is more uniform in color as compared to the sides when finished. It also is much more subtle. African, when finished certain ways, has a tendency to show an almost chintzy amount of chatoyance (think tiger eye gemstones, almost holographic). So if you have found that Grado's mahogany is lighter than the mahogany you are used to, it could be that you are comparing African to Honduran.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,828 of 4,994
Quote:

It's worth mentioning that there is a variety of mahogany species. The two most common being African and Honduran (sometimes referred to as South American).

The difference between the two is staggering. They are similar, much like vanilla ice cream and vanilla frozen yogurt. They are easily mistaken for each other, but when you really get down to it the differences are huge.

Honduran mahogany is considered to be a better tonewood than African. It is also much lighter and softer. Honduran's end grain is more uniform in color as compared to the sides when finished. It also is much more subtle. African, when finished certain ways, has a tendency to show an almost chintzy amount of chatoyance (think tiger eye gemstones, almost holographic). So if you have found that Grado's mahogany is lighter than the mahogany you are used to, it could be that you are comparing African to Honduran.

Nope, they seriously have their very own brooklyn mahogany. 

I don't even think it's actually mahogany. I don't even know, all I know is that it is different. 

identifying_wood.jpg

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,829 of 4,994
Quote:

Hi Dennnic, welcome to Head-fi, sorry for your wallet.

These threads might be of interest to you too and perhaps more suited for your question:

Post your Grado mods

The Official Grado 325i Owners Club

p.s. Are you Northern European by any chance?

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,830 of 4,994
I am building a Magnum v4 right now, and is struggling to find aluminum cups.  I am not willing buy a 325is just as a cups donor.  Does anyone know where I can get these cups for a reasonable price?  If I can get a reasonable price, I might even upgrade my SR80 into aluminum cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back