Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 13, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #4,366 of 4,994
I've had my pair of V7s in old Symphones aluminium sleeves running in a for a few hours now. The aluminium tends to make them a bit brighter than wood, so the result is somewhat v-shaped in sound. I'm not sure if the bass will drop down any more as it has with previous versions of the drivers, but I'm good with it either way. 

Where I really like them is out of the Chord Mojo. They don't scale up to the level of detail of my main system, but they are so pleasant to listen with that I don't care.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,367 of 4,994
Hi there,

Stock MS2 owner here, noob to modding(!). 

Would I be able to order the V7 drivers, remove and de-solder stock MS2 drivers and insert the V7's directly to the existing cable?

Cheers!

Mightygrey

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #4,368 of 4,994
Hi there,

Stock MS2 owner here, noob to modding(!). 

Would I be able to order the V7 drivers, remove and de-solder stock MS2 drivers and insert the V7's directly to the existing cable?

Cheers!

Mightygrey
yes, you can de-solder the existing drivers and re-solder the v7 in their place. The tricky part is liberating the Ms2 drivers from the plastic sleeves while keeping them intact. Are you planning on using the same plastic sleeves or will you be using something else to mount the v7 drivers to?

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #4,369 of 4,994
yes, you can de-solder the existing drivers and re-solder the v7 in their place. The tricky part is liberating the Ms2 drivers from the plastic sleeves while keeping them intact. Are you planning on using the same plastic sleeves or will you be using something else to mount the v7 drivers to?

Does anybody offer any options to replace the plastic sleeve if one screws up?

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #4,370 of 4,994

Does anybody offer any options to replace the plastic sleeve if one screws up?
There is a fool proof way to do it around here somewhere that lets you save the plastic sleeves. I'll look around.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #4,371 of 4,994
There is a fool proof way to do it around here somewhere that lets you save the plastic sleeves. I'll look around.

Fool Proof...

You do realize Fools are extremely clever and that it is practically impossible to defeat their efforts?

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4,372 of 4,994

Fool Proof...

You do realize Fools are extremely clever and that it is practically impossible to defeat their efforts?

When I say fool proof I mean my brother tried it and it worked for him.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #4,373 of 4,994
When I say fool proof I mean my brother tried it and it worked for him.

Heh, yeah I don't know your brother, but...

But when I say foolproof, I am referring to the guy who looks back at me in the mirror every morning, and that fool is clever, able to defeat most foolproof measures...

I would present into evidence my SR225 cups your honor...

Yes, I am referring to those globs of plastic that no longer look like headphone cups!

biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #4,376 of 4,994
Ideally I'd like to use the existing infrastructure! Will dig around to see if anyone has a way to liberate them, otherwise I may try poking through the mesh at a few different points to push them out. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #4,377 of 4,994
For fun I went head and ordered three extra sets of pads for my Symphone V7's.. Should have access to official L-CUSH and flat pads from Grado.. Then the EarZonk G-CUSH and leatherette... lastly I will also be getting and testing with the Sen 414 pads...  Will post my observations if anyone is interested. 

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,379 of 4,994
Well the pads came in today and 

1. The leatherette sound like crap, don't wast your time or money 

I can tell you this though.. At first blush, I very much prefer the sound and comfort of the EarZonk G-CUSH with the Symphone V7's... More testing needed before I can really stand behind that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back