Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 3, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #4,336 of 4,994

Konstantin69- Very interesting and informative response. Would a small anechoic chamber be necessary for this? Sounds like you have this pretty well thought out, have you actually done it before? I had a feeling someone was going to point out that a condenser would be better for this. Very good point about loading, didn't take that into consideration.

A small anechoic chamber doesn't hurt but not necessary if you're in a quite environment, I actually use an old closet lined internally with some leftover acoustic foam from the studio.
I've done something similar ages ago but for measuring the FR impact of different earpads.
Your idea about measuring the impact on the overall FR that different shapes and dimensions in Grado's acoustics chambers is brilliant and something that crossed my mind a few times.
I got wood cups from different vendors, some I like more than others, BUT my favorite cups do not "mate" well with all drivers and some drivers "mate" better with "lesser" quality cups, it's a "mix-and-match" situation for best results, maybe it's time to investigate further, when time permits.

@thelostMIDrange You are not alone...

You got the wrong "message", when used as @ecdarby proposed, i.e. using one driver as the source and the other as the mic in order to null out their FR for taking measurements they must be absolutely identical, when used as headphones attached to each ear I don't sweat much about it.
What makes you think that both your ears hears the same? In some frequencies the difference can be as much as 7-10db, especially if you're over 25-30years.
Let alone the fact that your right ear hears differently than your left.
http://www.hear-it.org/Your-ears-differ-

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #4,337 of 4,994
A small anechoic chamber doesn't hurt but not necessary if you're in a quite environment, I actually use an old closet lined internally with some leftover acoustic foam from the studio.
I've done something similar ages ago but for measuring the FR impact of different earpads.
Your idea about measuring the impact on the overall FR that different shapes and dimensions in Grado's acoustics chambers is brilliant and something that crossed my mind a few times.
I got wood cups from different vendors, some I like more than others, BUT my favorite cups do not "mate" well with all drivers and some drivers "mate" better with "lesser" quality cups, it's a "mix-and-match" situation for best results, maybe it's time to investigate further, when time permits.

You got the wrong "message", when used as @ecdarby
 proposed, i.e. using one driver as the source and the other as the mic in order to null out their FR for taking measurements they must be absolutely identical, when used as headphones attached to each ear I don't sweat much about it.
What makes you think that both your ears hears the same? In some frequencies the difference can be as much as 7-10db, especially if you're over 25-30years.
Let alone the fact that your right ear hears differently than your left.
http://www.hear-it.org/Your-ears-differ-

My bad.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #4,340 of 4,994
New headband and y splitter are here, went a different direction with the cable as well... Still waiting for the V7 drivers though
frown.gif

nice headband, i have one almost just like it  

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4,342 of 4,994

Yeah I am really happy with it... picked it along  with my cable jack and Y splitter from PlusSound Audio

i got my headband from plussound as well, that would explain the similarity 

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #4,343 of 4,994
i shared this on the Grado Fan Club thread but wanted to share it here as well since this is a thread specifically about modding.I was seeking out some modding options yesterday evening when i stumbled across this sellers page. i'm especially a fan of the circular aluminum rodblock design and full round gimbals
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mwcamp77/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #4,344 of 4,994
  i shared this on the Grado Fan Club thread but wanted to share it here as well since this is a thread specifically about modding.I was seeking out some modding options yesterday evening when i stumbled across this sellers page. i'm especially a fan of the circular aluminum rodblock design and full round gimbals
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mwcamp77/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I went with the Gimbals at first which I really liked... I ended up ordering the Rod Blocks this week as well. Should be here Friday. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #4,345 of 4,994
I bought the gimbals--the round and the cut ones. Left and right don't quite match.

The rounded rodblocks and wire are really nice, though. If I could do it again, I'll get gimbals from rholupat and stick to these rodblocks from mwcamp77.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #4,346 of 4,994
I bought the gimbals--the round and the cut ones. Left and right don't quite match.

The rounded rodblocks and wire are really nice, though. If I could do it again, I'll get gimbals from rholupat and stick to these rodblocks from mwcamp77.

Does the round headband work with any Grado Headband?

That round wire is comfortable?

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #4,348 of 4,994
Gotta get a headband pad for it. I bought the one from mwcamp77, and that is pretty much leather with no padding. My Turbulent Labs pad arrives soon--it'll probably be the best.

Right, so I could use the Grado Leather Headband or a Jmoney?

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,350 of 4,994
Just got the rod blocks in... really look nice TBH was worried about the comfort of the steal round headband with my non-padded leather headband.. seems that concern was is maybe a non-issue as the comfort seems fine.. Will know more after the drivers show though.. USPS is showing a monday delivery atm... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back