Grado modders go Magnum
Nov 9, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #196 of 4,982

stratocaster

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Posts
506
Likes
110
Quote:
Grev said:


Regarding the wood housing, where can I find a place/person that makes them?  Also would it be completely woodified or would it still contain some plastic?

 
     Quote:
Google Martin Custom Audio
 

 
+1.
Personally, I would go for a non slip-on woodie. Then you could just buy Magnum drivers, which come without any housing, and install them.
If you decided to buy Rhydon's alu air chambers together with the drivers, you would have to tell Marty that you'd need slip-on woodies to accommodate Magnum air chambers.

 
 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #199 of 4,982

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Posts
5,222
Likes
363
Location
Northern VA


Quote:
It is quite astounding to me that Rhydon considered the V3.5's sibilant. I noticed no sibilance, absolutley NONE AT ALL. That is one of the aspects I like so much about them, they are quite airy, detailed, fast and there is no sibilance. But, that might very well be the efffect the wood shells have on them.


I am 100% in agreement with your statement.  I've experienced NO sibilence at all with my drivers in wooden cups.  My headphones are dreamy. 
tongue.gif

 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #200 of 4,982

stratocaster

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Posts
506
Likes
110


Quote:
Actually, you have to take a small strip of electrical tape and wrap it around the diameter of the Magnum driver 1.5 times.  Then, the driver will comfortably fit into one of the cups from Cabillas.

 
 


If that is so, the diameter of the V4's should be just a tiny bit smaller than the Grado drivers', which fit rather tightly
 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #201 of 4,982

Twinster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Posts
2,054
Likes
74
How do you find the bass on the V4 Wayne? can you share some quick notes on v3.5 vs 4.0?
 
Quote:
I am 100% in agreement with your statement.  I've experienced NO sibilence at all with my drivers in wooden cups.  My headphones are dreamy. 
tongue.gif

 



 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #202 of 4,982

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Posts
5,222
Likes
363
Location
Northern VA


Quote:
If that is so, the diameter of the V4's should be just a tiny bit smaller than the Grado drivers', which fit rather tightly
 


 
No.  Actually, I think the Magnum drivers are the same diameter of the Grado drivers.  However, the key being, that the Grado driver gets liberated from the plastic chamber.  The driver is glued ito the plastic chamber, so you have a small extra thickness of adhesive on the Grado driver - which adds to the diameter of the base driver itself.  If the adhesive were taken down to the driver housing level, one could hold a Magnum driver over a Grado driver and they'd be the same diameter.
 
 
Quote:
How do you find the bass on the V4 Wayne? can you share some quick notes on v3.5 vs 4.0?


 
I really can't decipher between the v3.5 and the v4.0 when it comes to bass differences.  I just hear a lovely sound - with great instrument separation, great vocals, and a sound that does not fatigue my ears in any way.  I realize that some of my very positive comments might come across as if I'm getting some sort of payment from Rhydon.  However, I must admit I'm not.  When I see, hear or feel a GREAT product, I like to let the others in this hobby know about it.  Meanwhile, if something is just "luke warm" to me, you'll see my writings on it to be just "so-so."

 
 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #203 of 4,982

Twinster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Posts
2,054
Likes
74
Here's another fact I like to share with all of you from Rhydon. 
 
 "The drivers are impedance, resonance frequency and spectrum matched to 0.01db same as the Full Magnum."
 
I too find that the instrument separation and imaging is just extremely good on them.
 
I just bought some used G-Cush (Salad Bowl) to try with them and the MS-Pro. I have been curious to try them for a while and the price was very good so we'll see (Hear)
 
 
Quote:
 
No.  Actually, I think the Magnum drivers are the same diameter of the Grado drivers.  However, the key being, that the Grado driver gets liberated from the plastic chamber.  The driver is glued ito the plastic chamber, so you have a small extra thickness of adhesive on the Grado driver - which adds to the diameter of the base driver itself.  If the adhesive were taken down to the driver housing level, one could hold a Magnum driver over a Grado driver and they'd be the same diameter.
 
 

 
I really can't decipher between the v3.5 and the v4.0 when it comes to bass differences.  I just hear a lovely sound - with great instrument separation, great vocals, and a sound that does not fatigue my ears in any way.  I realize that some of my very positive comments might come across as if I'm getting some sort of payment from Rhydon.  However, I must admit I'm not.  When I see, hear or feel a GREAT product, I like to let the others in this hobby know about it.  Meanwhile, if something is just "luke warm" to me, you'll see my writings on it to be just "so-so."

 
 



 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #204 of 4,982

sluker

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Posts
963
Likes
39
X3 On the V3.5 being perfect and not sibilant at all. I have the full mod with the 325 cups and I think they are perfect. I cant imagine how the v4 could have improved the highs, but I am curious to find out because i have a pair of drivers coming.
 
I am also planning to mod one of the pairs with either the cabila cups or the Jaben cups (on their way). I also bought a spare chamber so that if all fails I can get another set of 325 cups and have a light mod set.
 
It would be a crime to poke holes in these drivers. Send them to me and I will trade you a pair of 125i drivers and you can poke to your hearts delight.
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #205 of 4,982

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Posts
5,222
Likes
363
Location
Northern VA


Quote:
 
It would be a crime to poke holes in these drivers. Send them to me and I will trade you a pair of 125i drivers and you can poke to your hearts delight.


Oh, I fully agree.  If anyone were to consider poking holes in the Magnum drivers, it should qualify as instant admission into an insane asylum. 
eek.gif

 
 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #206 of 4,982

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Posts
687
Likes
40
I really can't decipher between the v3.5 and the v4.0 when it comes to bass differences.  I just hear a lovely sound - with great instrument separation, great vocals, and a sound that does not fatigue my ears in any way.  I realize that some of my very positive comments might come across as if I'm getting some sort of payment from Rhydon.  However, I must admit I'm not.  When I see, hear or feel a GREAT product, I like to let the others in this hobby know about it.  Meanwhile, if something is just "luke warm" to me, you'll see my writings on it to be just "so-so."

 
 
[/quote]

wje, can you comment the differences in Treble? Any other changes with 4.0 update?


 
Nov 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #207 of 4,982

Twinster

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Posts
2,054
Likes
74

Or for your second pair of magnum with the chamber you can ask Martin to create some nice wood slip-on fro them. They should be a bit lighter and look very nice. He's got an amazing selection of precious wood flavor listed on his site.
Quote:
X3 On the V3.5 being perfect and not sibilant at all. I have the full mod with the 325 cups and I think they are perfect. I cant imagine how the v4 could have improved the highs, but I am curious to find out because i have a pair of drivers coming.
 
I am also planning to mod one of the pairs with either the cabila cups or the Jaben cups (on their way). I also bought a spare chamber so that if all fails I can get another set of 325 cups and have a light mod set.
 
It would be a crime to poke holes in these drivers. Send them to me and I will trade you a pair of 125i drivers and you can poke to your hearts delight.



 
 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #209 of 4,982

meltdown100

Member of the Trade: Ohrenholz
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Posts
122
Likes
14
This sure doesn't seem like the same group of guys who just a few months back who were cheering each other on while cutting out the plastic in front of the driver cages on $100-200+ Grados and risking destroying their drivers (which many did) just for that extra little bit of perceived clarity.  Now you get gasps of disbelief and outrage for daring to even ask if anybody has taken the felt off the back of a $120 set of drivers.
 
 
Nov 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #210 of 4,982

sluker

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Posts
963
Likes
39

WOW!
The guy is an artist.
I assume if I want to use my own headband (Jmoney v1), Rhydon's air chambers, and my own gimbals, rods and blocks, all I need are the cups right? Would the cups then be press fit or glued onto the air chambers?  
I will need to think this through but it's definitely an option, and worthy of these drivers.
 
On another note.
I bought some cheapo pads (1.99) at my local electronics store. They needed to be stretched but  fit really snug. The front is thick (1/8) so I did the quarter mod to them. So far so good, as expected the soundstage shrinks (compared to bowls) while bass and treble come forward.
Listening to Unearther CD-2/ Johny Cash. It feels like he is in the room with me, when I close my eyes I can smell that old man smell. 
 

Quote:
Or for your second pair of magnum with the chamber you can ask Martin to create some nice wood slip-on fro them. They should be a bit lighter and look very nice. He's got an amazing selection of precious wood flavor listed on his site.


 
 


 
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top