Grado Mod (Need help from HD580 owners)
Oct 6, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 23
Guppi, what did you use to dye your Senn ear pads? Regular Rit fabric dye, or something more exotic? I'm sure there's a 25 page thread about this somewhere, but I'm way too lazy to search for it
600smile.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by guppi
Hmm, Velcro you say... Wouldnt that add some extra thickness? That could be a problem for me. The problem with the double sided tape solution is that the headband is slightly convex while the base of the padding is a bit too stiff (/ the tape glue to weak) to adapt to that. Not a big problem at all, but there is a small gap on the sides between headband and padding and some hairs tend to get in there and stick to the tape.

Hmmm, see thickness is what I'm after. Even at their smallest settings, these phones sink too low for me. I don't need a pad for comfort, just as basically a shim.

Oct 6, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Guppi, what did you use to dye your Senn ear pads? Regular Rit fabric dye, or something more exotic? I'm sure there's a 25 page thread about this somewhere, but I'm way too lazy to search for it
600smile.gif

I just used regular black fabric dye for a buck or so from the drugstore. Worked very well.
Not sure what the brand of the dye was, but I doubt it would matter too much.

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #19 of 23
THX, I'll pick some up and give it a try.

Oct 7, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by guppi
Hmm, Velcro you say... Wouldnt that add some extra thickness? That could be a problem for me. The problem with the double sided tape solution is that the headband is slightly convex while the base of the padding is a bit too stiff (/ the tape glue to weak) to adapt to that. Not a big problem at all, but there is a small gap on the sides between headband and padding and some hairs tend to get in there and stick to the tape.

Nah dude...there is little thickness added. I modded my Grados with a strip of pipe insulation attached to the headband with two square velcro strips I bought in Home Depot. They stay attached very nicely and they can be removed without leaving sticky residue on the band.

I don’t want to superglue the padding to the band (making the mod permanent), so the velcro method might do the job…

Try it…if you don’t like how the velcro looks you can always take it off and try some other method of attachment.
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 23
Oh yes. You bet. They are super comfortable. Turning the ear pads upside down makes things even more comfy, but changes the sound. Both ways sound good, but I havent really decided yet which way I prefer. So I keep switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back