Grado Mod (Need help from HD580 owners)
Aug 10, 2004 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to “mod” the headband of my SR60s by installing some sort of cushion in order to make them more comfy. I was looking at the Sennheiser site for the 414 pads when I came across the replacement headband cushion for the HD580s. Is anybody out there familiar with both the SR60s and the HD580s that can tell me if the Senn cushion will work with the Grados? How is this cushion installed on the 580s…is it glued to the headband or does it fit in some sort of groove or channel on the headband?

For my little project to work I need to find a cushion designed to be glued to its headband. It also needs to be a shorter and less wide than the Grado headband.

Any ideas?

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 23
Taken from Headwize, written by Tim D:

Padding the Grado Headband (MS-1)

Method (Tim D): The paper thin vinyl of the Grado headband comes off as "cheap" to me. You have two big earcups connected by paperthin vinyl and metal wiring - looks weird.
I glued the rubber cushion from the headband of my Sennheiser HD490 to the underside of the vinyl strip of the Grado headband. It makes the headband look much beefier and fits better. The black coloring of the rubber headband is PERFECT and matches perfectly with the black coloring of the Grado. Plus, it makes the Grados seem light as a feather on top of your head. The HD490 headband and cushion can be ordered as a replacement part for $8.60 from Sennheiser USA.

This mod may or may not be reversible depending on the way you "glue" the cushion to the band. I used a thin layer of acrylic caulking. When the caulking cures, it becomes clear, barely noticable unless under really close inspection. The cushion is bonded well to the bottom of the vinyl. I never tried undoing this modification myself, but I should be able to pull off the cushion and caulking on the vinyl should the need arise. The caulking is very sticky, but it doesn't make a HARD bond, so pulling off the caulking should be easy.

I thought about using the entire Sennheiser headband, but decided not to, although it is also very easy to do. However I couldn't think of a way of removing the vinyl headband that wouldn't be "permanent" and didn't want to fiddle with the metal attaching to the plastic pieces. Also I am not brave enough to fiddle around with cords and wiring. Besides, the rubber headband pad of the HD490 fits very well right under the existing vinyl. Someone who never saw a Grado before would not think I modded my phones.

http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=grado_prj.htm

This information may be of some use to you.

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 23
Thanks.

This will work…but I think that it will be plan B. The HD580 pads look more comfy, and I prefer the feel of cloth to rubber.

Aug 10, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 23
Bump...

Sep 17, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 23
Just came across this thread. I did order the HD580 headband padding about 2 weeks ago (along with the 414 pads), got them today and attached them to my SR80. It fits the headband quite well. The headphones with padding and the Senn pads are super comfy. I havent looked into the mirror yet with them on, so I dont know if it looks silly. But the headphone on its own looks pretty natural with the 580 headband padding. The yellow Senn pads are a different story...
Size wise the 580 padding adds about an inch and it just fits my head perfectly with the headphones fully extended. And I have a pretty big head. So most people should be fine.
I have not worn them a lot yet, but from the first impression, I would recommend this modification. Very comfy.
If somebody is interested, I can post a picture.

Sep 23, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Please, I'd love to see pics of any headband mods. I got my MS-1s yesterday, and the only problem really is that they sit a bit too low. I guess I have a small head. A little padding under the headband would make them more comfortable and raise them up a bit.

Thanks.

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 23
I just read that grado mod page on headwize, i like that trick to pop the wrinkles out of the diaphram. I got some old junker headphones and took them apart and found the diaphram was all messed up and hand wrinkles all over it. This tip poped em all out. Cool idea

Oct 6, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 23
Sorry for the long delay, but now I finally got around to take some pictures and to post them. The dimensions of the HD580 headband padding fit the Grado headband very nice and they are oh so comfy. For now I just attached them with double sided tape, which works ok but is not the perfect solution.
The ear pads are Senn 414 pads dyed black (vwap style).

sr80.jpg

headband.jpg

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by guppi
Just came across this thread. I did order the HD580 headband padding about 2 weeks ago (along with the 414 pads), got them today and attached them to my SR80. It fits the headband quite well...

Hey...thanks for the info...and the pics. Nice work. Instead of the double sided tape you might want to try some Velcro.

I hope they have the HD580 padding in stock. I recently ordered velour pads for my HD25s and they told me it was going to take about 2 weeks for them to get them in stock.

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun
Hey...thanks for the info...and the pics. Nice work. Instead of the double sided tape you might want try some Velcro.

I hope they have the HD580 padding in stock. I recently ordered velour pads for my HD25s and they told me it was going to take about 2 weeks for them to get them in stock.

They do. I just ordered one today. About $10 with shipping. Velcro is a great idea.

Oct 6, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 23
Hmm, Velcro you say... Wouldnt that add some extra thickness? That could be a problem for me. The problem with the double sided tape solution is that the headband is slightly convex while the base of the padding is a bit too stiff (/ the tape glue to weak) to adapt to that. Not a big problem at all, but there is a small gap on the sides between headband and padding and some hairs tend to get in there and stick to the tape.

Oct 6, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 23
.....NEAT! Ordering headband pads right now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by guppi
Sorry for the long delay, but now I finally got around to take some pictures and to post them. The dimensions of the HD580 headband padding fit the Grado headband very nice and they are oh so comfy. For now I just attached them with double sided tape, which works ok but is not the perfect solution.
The ear pads are Senn 414 pads dyed black (vwap style).

sr80.jpg

headband.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back