Grado-like IEM around $200?
Nov 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
does something like this actually exist? I love the grado sound but need something isolating and portable. IEMs would be the best for me because it would be something I could easily pakc up and take with me when I leave - I do a lot of LANning for various games, and unfortunately some people who go to these types of things are not the most honest of people.

I was looking at the E.D.G.E Acoustics GX400, which are made by Etymotic and look like they are little more than ER4p with a mic on the cord. This would be ideal, but I could buy the mic separately if I had to. Does this sound like it would be a good fit for what I am looking for? Or is there another set of IEM at that price point that I might want to look into?

Sources would be:

home: Zero DAC -> Darkvoice 336i

LAN: Auzentech X-fi Prelude

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 15
You should seriously look at the Head-Direct RE0 (zero). its fairly new, but I just got a chance to hear it at a meet this past weekend. I have the RE2's. and the RE0 does everything they can do, but better. I find the RE2s very grado like. the high end sparkles like you wouldnt believe. the bass is a bit light, but its that way on grados as well. the RE0 will go for about $200 bills. but I would email them for an actual price. the RE2 is about $100 bills. I'll be selling mine to fund the RE0 within the week. if your interested, keep an eye out for my post. I'm only selling them on Head-fi.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 15
There's no way the REs or Etys are Grado-like, if anything they are K701-like, analytical, flat and completely anti-Grado. There's more to the Grados than being bright, I sure will not want to listen to rock on the REs or Etys. The only IEM that I would consider Grado-like is the triplefi 10.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 15
I have RE-2s and Grados, the SR-80 and RS-1.

The RE-2s obviously don't have the level of resolution that the Grados do, but they are certainly not "anti-grados" in my opinion at least.

With the right tips, the RE-2s are quite "involving" and are quite fun, especially for the price. I don't find them analytical in the slightest (actually, I'd say they were somewhat veiled but in a musical way). I listen to rock, primarily, and say they do pretty well especially with less than perfect sources like MP3s, where their lack of detail doesn't get in the way.

Soundstage-- not so hot. Bass-- fair but not overpowering. I never really thought of either the RE-2s or Grados as particularly bright, just "lively" I suppose.

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 15
A $200 Grado-like IEM sounds like something I'd want, too. As I read the first post, I was listening to my Etymotic ER4P listening to Nickelback. The Etymotics lack the low end punch that Grados can give, but otherwise aren't too far off. To my ears, the Triple.Fi 10 are even farther from Grados than Etymotics due to their recessed midrange. This causes the vocals and instruments to sound a bit congested and off in the distance, which is the opposite of what the Grado midrange sounds like (my Grado references are the SR-325 and Alessandro MS-1).

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 15
RE1 with my mp3 sound is boring lacks energy, dynamic, bass, highs slightly analitical and portable ampfilier dont help much, probably bad synergy of my mp3 player. Becose RE1 with a decent DAC out of my iBasso = sound is amazingly great but different from Grado.

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 15
Etymotic ER4P is my suggestion, and not just because I have a new one for sale in the forum either, but by the OP's requirement. They are amazing for the price,isolation, and resolution they provide.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 15
Any new opinion guys?
I'm in a similar situation and it will be really helpful to have some more "up to date" recommendations!

--

To give you more context I'm currently using...
@HOME+WORK  FLAC > Macbook Pro/Air > Grado 225i (since 2012).
@OUT  MP3 > iPod Classic 6G > Sennheiser CX300 (since 2008).

I'm thinking about upgrading both setup with the following:
@HOME+WORK  ​
FLAC > Macbook Pro > ​
iBasso DX50 as a USB DAC ​
(temporary situation as I plan to invest in a desktop setup in the next few months) ​
>​
 Grado 225i.​
@OUT  FLAC > iBasso DX50 > New IEM (not decided yet).

--

The question I'm not able to solve by myself is "which IEM should I buy?"...!
I'm in the same budget, ideally under $130 but I would be able to do a small stretch if it really worth it (after all it's an investment). Most of the time I'm listening to Post-Metal, Hardcore, Punk and Indie (let's say Rock and Metal to sum up) but I'm also a big Miles Davis fan. A low-impedance headphone (<32ohm) would be great as I don't plan to carry a portable amp with the DX50. Finally I would say that my Grado 225i totally meets my expectations and I would like to find an IEM that would be in the same vein...

I made some research and my hypothetic top 3 would be:
Etymotic HF5​
- HiFiMan RE-400​
- VSonic VC1000​

I also considered these IEM first:
- Shure E215
- RHA 
MA750​
- VSonic GR07 Classic​

Any advices are welcome!
Thanks,

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 15
  Any new opinion guys?
I'm in a similar situation and it will be really helpful to have some more "up to date" recommendations!

--

To give you more context I'm currently using...
@HOME+WORK  FLAC > Macbook Pro/Air > Grado 225i (since 2012).
@OUT  MP3 > iPod Classic 6G > Sennheiser CX300 (since 2008).

I'm thinking about upgrading both setup with the following:
@HOME+WORK  ​
FLAC > Macbook Pro > ​
iBasso DX50 as a USB DAC ​
(temporary situation as I plan to invest in a desktop setup in the next few months) ​
>​
 Grado 225i.​
@OUT  FLAC > iBasso DX50 > New IEM (not decided yet).

--

The question I'm not able to solve by myself is "which IEM should I buy?"...!
I'm in the same budget, ideally under $130 but I would be able to do a small stretch if it really worth it (after all it's an investment). Most of the time I'm listening to Post-Metal, Hardcore, Punk and Indie (let's say Rock and Metal to sum up) but I'm also a big Miles Davis fan. A low-impedance headphone (<32ohm) would be great as I don't plan to carry a portable amp with the DX50. Finally I would say that my Grado 225i totally meets my expectations and I would like to find an IEM that would be in the same vein...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693970/comparing-amp-interconnect-silver-upgrades-silver-gold-basic-by-onest11
- VSonic GR07 Classic​

Any advices are welcome!
Thanks,

IEM that sounds like Grado signature.

Etymotic HF5 (no)​
- HiFiMan RE-400 (sort of)​
- VSonic VC1000 (not really)​

I also considered these IEM first: (none of these)
- Shure E215
- RHA 
MA750​
- VSonic GR07 Classic

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Altone200 hybrid (for about $145) in my opinion its the closest I've heard to a Grado that excells in SQ.

Slightly bright / thin / transparent (but with more bass due to the dynamic driver)

I will hand you Brooko's review: ​
http://www.head-fi.org/products/t-peos-altone200/reviews/11304

Or possibly, Brainwavs B2 also known as DBA- 02 or Rockits R-50.​

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Dunu DN-1000?

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #15 of 15
For what it's worth, I like my RE-400 more than my Grado HF-2. But then, I became disillusioned with the Grado sound a few years ago.

What you'll get:
  1. A balanced, neutral sound without being analytical
  2. Deep detailed and fast bass, not as powerful as a full-sized headphone or an IEM with emphasized bass, but there's a good rumble when called for
  3. Peak at 2 kHz, similar to most Grado models, which is partly what gives vocals and some guitar a forward sound. Lots of IEMs have this, I've noticed
  4. Detailed treble that's well balanced, very present but not bright or piercing
  5. Small, intimate soundstage much like Grados

What you won't get:
  1. A midbass hump at 100 Hz and rolled off sub-bass which is what gives Grado bass its "slam" and illusion of speed
  2. 2 kHz peak extended through 5 kHz which gives electric guitar on Grados the aggressive, crunchy sound they have
  3. Emphasized treble, especially a big 10 kHz peak, which throws treble sparkles in your face

Overall, while it shares some Grado elements like a forward midrange, it is not a Grado. The sound won't be as aggressive, but it won't be as fatiguing either. The RE-400 is a fairly uncolored headphone that's still a lot of fun.

Measurements here. Compare to the SR225i with bowl pads. Feel free to look around for other IEMs in the measurements section! Sorry I can't recommend any alternatives, I haven't had a reason to keep up on the IEM craze since I got mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back