Grado in NYC?
Apr 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Solan

500+ Head-Fier
Where may a tourist to New York try out pairs of Grado RS-1 and GS-1000 to compare against one another? And jus in case there are several of them: What do these cans costs there?

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're here, anywhere in Princeton NJ ? I'll be over in June for a conference.

Sure, take the dinky to the commuter rail, the commuter rail to Penn Station, ACE to West 4th, then stroll over to the Stereo Exchange. Don't forget to pop up to West 8th near Cooper for the Audiocubes shop too.

Really, the town of princeton is like one of those rich suburbs where halfway through the movie it turns out everyone is either an alien or a robot. Not the best place for audio gear. There is one decent record store.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 19
Sound by Singer had both for demo when I was there a year ago. Heard both good and bad about them but at least they treated me nice
smily_headphones1.gif
I had some QC issues with the pair of RS1 I bought from them after demoing and when I got back to the store they gave me a new one without any hassle.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're here, anywhere in Princeton NJ ? I'll be over in June for a conference.

Audionexus is a grado dealer in downtown Summit NJ. I've demoed a vintage RS-1 there. It's probably about 45 min or an hour away by car. There's a train station too, but I'm not sure if on the same line as the one in Princeton.

Apr 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by raelamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stereo Exchange on Broadway between Bleeker and W.3rd St.

Don't assume they will have them. I went in the the other day asking to hear RS-1s and they said that they generally do not have them out on the floor and were currently out of stock. The sales associate did say that they do occasionally do stock them, but aren't for audition unless you are very serious about a purchase and perhaps have previously set something up. He said they do not stock the GS1000 (he had not even heard of them).

Sorry I have no good news for you guys, I'd love to be able to heard these 2 headphones myself!

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 19
Does J&R's street store have them?

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #9 of 19
I don't know if this can help you, but when my girlfriend visited LA, I emailed gradolabs and asked about their authorized dealers in LA. Got a list, and called the stores on the list. A long list actually. Eventually got a hold on a pair of SR-325i that I was looking for.

On the other hand, there must be someone at this forum able to give you a straight answer.

Good luck!

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 19
If you can't find what you are looking for, try this address: 4614 Seventh Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11220 or call 718-435-5340. The place is called 'Grado Laboratories'.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by torjeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, there must be someone at this forum able to give you a straight answer.

Guess I'll have to repeat myself. Sound by Singer had them both for demo when I was there. They're on 18 East 16th St, about 50 yds west of Union Square. Although the listening station was setup in a hallway with people walking by it was fairly low-noise environment at the time. If I remember correctly you had to ask them to bring the top-grados (RS1,RS2 and GS1000).

Edit: And no, I don't think J&R have them for demo.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't find what you are looking for, try this address: 4614 Seventh Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11220 or call 718-435-5340. The place is called 'Grado Laboratories'.

They accept walk-ins? Well, anyway, I decided to follow the excellent advice above and write to Grado and ask them directly. Maybe I'll get an invite.
icon_smile_cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess I'll have to repeat myself. Sound by Singer had them both for demo when I was there. They're on 18 East 16th St, about 50 yds west of Union Square. Although the listening station was setup in a hallway with people walking by it was fairly low-noise environment at the time. If I remember correctly you had to ask them to bring the top-grados (RS1,RS2 and GS1000).

These guys? Sound by Singer High End Audio | High End Video (awful web page, but their store is probably better; the web page dosn't feature headphones!)

Quote:

Edit: And no, I don't think J&R have them for demo.

Ah ... that saves me the trip to J&R. A friend of mine offered to be a pro NY guide, and said J&R was rather out of the way. Nothing interesting to see nearby.

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'll get an invite.
icon_smile_cool.gif

Won't that be nice?
cool.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

These guys? Sound by Singer High End Audio | High End Video (awful web page, but their store is probably better; the web page dosn't feature headphones!)

That's the place yes. Phones is not their prime focus I guess but they had all (don't know if they had all of the 60-325 though, but they had many of them) of them for demo when I walked in.

Quote:

Ah ... that saves me the trip to J&R. A friend of mine offered to be a pro NY guide, and said J&R was rather out of the way. Nothing interesting to see nearby.

I think it's possible that J&R have the phones in store, just not for demo. J&R is not very far from the WTC site (not that exciting to look at but anyway....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back