Grado HP1000s...
Jul 6, 2002 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Flumpus

Needs more Soylent Greento become Omega Man
Hey guys, just wanted to post... I haven't posted in a long time, mainly 'cause I had nothing headphone related to talk about. Ever since I sold my Melos I've been living off my mint tin cmoy and etys for portable, and speakers for home. But I went to the Headroom show, and it really made me want to build a good headphone system again, something other than etys. So I had my heart set on something like a Sugden and HD600s w/ Equinox cables, since those seemed to fix some of the problems I had with the HD600s, and I liked 'em a little better than the Clous and Cardas cables. I was going to buy the headphones first, probably later this summer, when I saw some HP2s, in good condition, pop up on ebay. I went for it... I didn't know what to expect, but hoped they would take the place of the HD600s in my new system. After waiting a while for the check to clear and for them to ship, I got them on Wednesday. I opened the package up, and they're beautiful! Heavy, well built, and actually very comfortable. Its like the headband is pre-bent... Which is good because its much stronger than the newer Grado headbands, and doesn't feel like you could easily bend it. So I slipped 'em on, put on a cd, and sat back to listen...

This is by no means a review for several reasons. One, I've probably only had 10-15 hours with them in the past couple days, and two, I'm listenin' on a Panasonic CT780 and mint tin cmoy (ugh). First thing I noticed is the cmoy can't handle these headphones. These are not your normal Grados... There's some distortion in places that's not there with my more powerful (but much worse sounding) headphone jack in my integrated amp. They did sound awfully good with a fresh, brand new battery, so maybe its power related, who knows. As far as sound goes, these are out there, completely different than current day Grados, and completely different than HD600s... I've been searching for a full sized Ety ER4S, and from first listen, these may just be it. In fact, these do things in the midrange the Etys couldn't touch. I'm not really going to say anymore, other than I'm very excited about hearin' these with a decent amp and source.

So the first piece in my new headphone system puzzle is in place, and I think I made the right choice. I'll of course keep the Etys and most likely the AKG K340s, 'cause I need a portable 'phone and the 340s are just cool. But when I wanna sit down and listen in my room, serious listening like with my speakers, I'll most certainly be pulling these out to use with who knows what source and probably a Sugden, but you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably post some updates as I listen to these on different equipment, so stay tuned... Its good to have something to post about again
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 19
Congratulations on the HP-2s, Flumpus. I also haven't been posting much either (end of school stuff, motorcycle maintenance, preparing the house for painting, etc.), but I think I'm ready to pick up the pace a bit.
I just received a META42 from JMT, and to my ears, the HP-1 and the META42 are an excellent combination. The META42 is definitely able to provide the power these things need. I always liked the CHA47 with the HP1s.......but the META42 is a significant improvement in all areas. The bass is fuller and better defined, the midrange is incredibly transparent, and the highs are smooth and extended. There is more "oomph" to this amp than with the CHA47. I haven't A/B'd the META42 with the Sugden yet, but I have a feeling it will more than hold it's own, especially when the cost differential is factored in. I'll be posting more of my impressions with different headphones in the amps forum, after I've had more time with this thing. Enjoy your new toy........you've got a great piece of headphone history there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 19
I agree with joelongwood that the META and the HP-1s have great synergy. I also found that when I listen to the HP-1s through my Max, I have to set the gain switch to "medium" rather than "low."

Jul 6, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
C'mon over and try it with my Ear 4 and Ear+. They were designed for use with lower impedance headphones.

Nick
If you get to hear 'em before I do, be sure to post your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 19
The HP-1 requires more gain that any of my other headphones (but I don't have any AKG's
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Once you feed them, they have a neutrality that is unmatched by any other headphone I've heard (The R10 is more transparent, IMO, but NOT as neutral, if that makes any sense). You've got a great headphone. Congrats!

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 19
I write to you because in this time, after the Sugden Headmaster arrived at my door, I just thought to my old Grado HP-1 (I haven’t now) and I said: This is the perfect amp for that Grado (not so good for the newest RS-1). I suggest to you to buy the Sugden with closed eyes!!!!! I post my rew about the Sugden (with the R-10) on the HeadFi.

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 19
I may just have to take you up on that offer Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

And Nik, good to hear about the Sugden, its definitely what I've been eyeing... I think I'll wait to hear Kelly's, and speakin' of that, when you gettin' yours Kelly?

Jul 6, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
I may just have to take you up on that offer Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

And Nik, good to hear about the Sugden, its definitely what I've been eyeing... I think I'll wait to hear Kelly's, and speakin' of that, when you gettin' yours Kelly?

Flump
The word is that the Canadian distributor received them yesterday or today and will be drop shipping to me. Depending on how long they take to get the actual shipments out, I should have it in about a week I imagine. I realize this is no one's fault, but it's very frustrating to have actually paid for something and not receive it for two months (they got a money order too).

Jul 6, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 19
The Grado HP1000 is my favorite headphone. There is just nothing else like it. Match it with a good amp and be amazed.

I think I'm going to have to order one of those new Sugden Headmaster amps. I was told they are expecting an order of 4 and 3 are sold already. I will probably have to jump on that last one.

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 19
The ZOTL does a great job with the HP-1000, even after I've mucked it up trying to get it to sound good with those silly Japanese cans I've got
wink.gif

An amp that surprised me with the HP-1000, but shouldn't have, is the Grado HPA-1. This amp is actually pretty awful with most of my other headphones, but comes together with the HP-1. Fantastic detail and delicacy, but the perspective is rather distant...a balcony seat rather then up by the stage. The RA-1 has a brighter and clearer sound, but it also has a high frequency grain where the HPA-1 is smooth all the way up. Tough to hear, and only shows up in repeated A/B, which I did a lot of trying to decide which of those two amps was going to get the bulk of the playing time with the HP-1.

Jul 7, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 19
Tried HPA-1/2, RA-1, Melos and DCT-1 with the HP-1000.
I rate them in the folowing order.
If ten would be the best possible amp that I have heard.
DCT-1 10
Melos 8.5
HPA-1/2 6
RA-1 5

The RA-1 and HPA-1 are etremely close, but I found the HPA-1 smoother and less compressed.
Unfortunately for grado amps, they just lack dynamics, bass, a sense of air when comapred to Melos and DCT-1.

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #14 of 19
I drug my HP-1's to the Headroom stop in Minneapolis and got to spend much quality time with my cans and current and out-of-production amps (unfortunately no Melos or Cary though).

I agree with KR..., the Max is amazing with these phones.

The wooden Grado amp seemed to be sucking wind when trying to push the HP-1's (and everything else!).

I was pleasently surprised by the MG Head OTL.

I was unpleasently surprised with the Holmes & Powell.

The Corda sounded only so-so.

None of the portable amps there (up to the Cosmic, which is the only one I didn't try, CONSARNIT!) had enough beans to push the HP-1's.

My own amp, which I love so much I haven't built a new one to replace it in 4+ months of listening, couldn't match the swing that the Max had.

Guess what I'm doing this week!

ok,
erix

Jul 10, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 19
is it bad form to ask what one could expect to pay for these legendary cans?
do I need to sell my truck?
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back