Grado HP1000 MOD
May 8, 2004 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
I've recently had some relatives come stay with me from the East. They own various metal factories there and machine car parts. Anyway my cousin stumbled across my Grado collection and got a suprise when I told him how expensive those things were. I allowed him to listen to the RS1s (for a few supervised minutes only mind), he didnt seem to understand what all the fuss was about. Anyway he remarked that the shoddy plastic on my SR-225s could be further improved by machined Aluminium bits. And that he could change the headband to a nice chushy soft leather. Well I fired up the PC and showed him a few pics of the HP1k...etc and he says he could make an identical metal left and right bit with a headband encapsuled in fine leather. Well that got me thinking, how many other people would be intrested in this upgrade if he manages to pull it off?

Withought a doubt the HP1Ks look better than todays SR range. Plus the comfort of fine leather would be a welcome addition as Grados can get really uncomfortable. Also anyone know of any HP1k close ups I can study for this?

May 8, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Would that effect the sound of the headphones?..

well as the drivers (and the surrounding plastic) remain untouched i dont think it would affect the sound at all. This would purely be an aesthetic and comfort change.

May 8, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Would it be the exact same alloy of metal also?

well there are a plethora of metal alloys. I have so much to work with. Obviously i'd have to look at their properties before I decide upon one. But yeah, I could use the exact same alloy as the HP1ks.

May 8, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fickle-Friend
well as the drivers (and the surrounding plastic) remain untouched i dont think it would affect the sound at all. This would purely be an aesthetic and comfort change.

It is possible that it would change it slightly though, as metal definately resonates differently. Look at the SR325.

May 8, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
It is possible that it would change it slightly though, as metal definately resonates differently. Look at the SR325.

That was on my mind too.

May 8, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I wouldn't mind trying the upgrade on my backup MS1s to see if it helps
smily_headphones1.gif
(before wasting money on killing a more expensive grado)

May 8, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse

I'm postulating changing only the head band and the plastic left and right bits. Though maybe resonance could still have an effect.

May 8, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 10
hehe, this is just like when people wanted to make some PS-1 clones.
tongue.gif

if you want some close up of the HP-2... I have two of them right here and wouldn't mind doing a few shots of them. don't know about opening the enclosures though, but the external ones wouldn't be a problem.

there are closeups of the cans all over the place, but if you need something specific I can get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back