Grado HP series
Mar 12, 2006 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sango

100+ Head-Fier
I'm confused here, i mean.. HP-1 HP-2 HP-3 and HP1000 but What? which is the one with the nice polarity switches? And whats the difference between HP-1 and HP-1000??
confused.gif

//sango

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 14
and the HP-3 is the same as the HP-2 only it's drivers aren't as closely matched.

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 14
the series is refered to as the 'HP-1000 series'

Top of the line was the HP-1 with polarity switches.
Next step down was the HP-2, with the same drivers sans polarity switches.
Bottom can was teh HP-3, same as the HP-2, but the drivers were not always as closely matched.

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
the series is refered to as the 'HP-1000 series'

Top of the line was the HP-1 with polarity switches.
Next step down was the HP-2, with the same drivers sans polarity switches.
Bottom can was teh HP-3, same as the HP-2, but the drivers were not always as closely matched.

Of those... correct me if I'm wrong... the HP-2 is the most common. Very few of the HP-3 were made, and the HP-1 less were made because of the complexity of the Polarity Switch construction... right?

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m
Just curious, why would one want to have polarity switches?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just know very little of the HP series as well.

The headphones weren't made for audiophiles, they were made for serious recording studios. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong again) that if something on the recording is "out of phase" reversing the polarity can fix it, to listen effectively.

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 14
I would recommend reading the "Interview with John Grado" thread. He talks about the HP-1000's and their nomenclature and what not.

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 14
Funnily enough I was talking to immtbiker about the hp-1k series. We both agreed it's "better" to have the hp-2's. Why?

Because with the hp-1's we don;t know which way is the correct way to listen and that if given this option then it detracts from getting doen to the music.

Personally I can't tell which is the "better" way to listen to the hp-1's if it's + or -

Maybe immtbiker has better ears than me but I couldn't tell.

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Funnily enough I was talking to immtbiker about the hp-1k series. We both agreed it's "better" to have the hp-2's. Why?

Because with the hp-1's we don;t know which way is the correct way to listen and that if given this option then it detracts from getting doen to the music.

Personally I can't tell which is the "better" way to listen to the hp-1's if it's + or -

I agree with that! My eastsound also has the polarity switch, that makes 4 permuations. Does that mean I have to listen to a CD 4 times before deciding which one is the right polarity? And not all CD have the same polarity. how confusing
mad.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 14
ok, correct me if i'm lost, the HP-1 HP-2 and HP-3 is marked on the headphone cup as HP-1000. You only know if it's the HP-1 if it has the polarity switches and if it doesn't it's a HP-2, but what if it's a HP-3? How does it look?
//sango

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

As long as you don't listen with one + and the other -
rs1smile.gif

I can't tell the difference either.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sango
ok, correct me if i'm lost, the HP-1 HP-2 and HP-3 is marked on the headphone cup as HP-1000. You only know if it's the HP-1 if it has the polarity switches and if it doesn't it's a HP-2, but what if it's a HP-3? How does it look?
//sango

The HP3 has an 'HP3' sticker on the box and also,I believe,it's marked under the ear pads on the metal with 'HP3'

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 14
the polarity shouldent make a difference as long as they are both the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back