Grado HP-1000's. Great, but not with my amp.
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

davstev

New Head-Fier
It's been awhile since my last post but I know that this is the place to ask...

I have a very nice pair of Grado HP-1000 drivers in custom black walnut cups. I'm using an Accuphase C200 preamp to amplify them. Both of these pieces are excellent, but I wonder how well mated they are. I have to turn the volume up to the 1 o'clock position just to get it to a normal volume. When I want to crank it, it's in the 3 or 4 o'clock position. In other words, there's just not a lot of power, not enough power, coming from the preamp, toward these rather inefficient headphones. However, I can't complain about the sonics, they are lovely. It just bothers me to have to crank it so much just to get a normal volume. There's not much headroom.

I've read from a reliable source that for my Accuphase pre, the voltage supply to the headphone amp is only about 4.5V. I also know that HP-1000's are rated at about 40 ohms.

If I wanted to purchase a new pair of phones that would mate well with this low-output preamp, what ohm value would be ideal? What other specifications matter here? Any recommendations for headphones that would mate well?

Thanks !

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 2
I have to turn the volume up to the 1 o'clock position just to get it to a normal volume. When I want to crank it, it's in the 3 or 4 o'clock position.
Just to be clear, the volume knob goes to 12 o'clock and turns clockwise right? I'm not sure how you got the impression that if it's at 4 o'clock and is loud enough that there isn't enough power.

I've read from a reliable source that for my Accuphase pre, the voltage supply to the headphone amp is only about 4.5V. I also know that HP-1000's are rated at about 40 ohms.

If I wanted to purchase a new pair of phones that would mate well with this low-output preamp, what ohm value would be ideal? What other specifications matter here? Any recommendations for headphones that would mate well?

The impedance of a headphone does not directly correlate to the "drive-ability" of the headphone. The impedance of a headphone is basically just the resistance of the circuit, but since the analog signal for audio is AC, it's impedance.
A lower ohm rating, in general means higher current draw. A higher ohms rating means higher voltage draw. What's more important is that you find out the sensitivity of the headphone along with the impedance to find the total power draw/voltage draw, at a specific frequency, to reach a certain dB SPL and compare that to how much the amplifier maximum output is to see whether the amp can run it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back