Grado HP-1000 Fit Issue
Oct 2, 2002 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kerelybonto

doo-di-doo-di-dum doo-di-dum doo-di-doo-di-dum
I knew the Joseph Grado Signature Series headphones were shaped differently than the newer Grados before I bought my pair. And I didn't think it would be a big deal. ...

I was wrong. My HP-2 arrived today and they're too loose to seriously listen to. The headphones just balance from the handband on the top of my head. If I tilt my head too far forward or back, they will fall off. No headbanging allowed here. Apparently I can't correct this -- I have the drivers adjusted all the way to the top of the stops and the headband is made of a very springy metal that doesn't seem like it will bend. And I haven't cut my hair in about eight months ... these things would probably float right off my head if I had short hair.

Obviously I have a small head. I wear a hat size seven. Do any of you other Joe Grado owners have this problem -- and, more importantly, what have you done about it?

kerelybonto

Oct 2, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 16
This probably explains why I don't have the comfort issues many of you experience with the new Grado lineup. Damn, I didn't think my head was that small.

My HP-2 came with some perfect condition flat pads -- the cans fit slightly better with bowl pads, but only to a very small extent. Not enough to help at all.

Right now I'm wearing them with their flat pads and a Royals hat. This helped immensely -- it probably increased the size of my head to that of a normal person's. The headphones aren't tight enough to do any serious jammin', but at least they'll stay on even if I move around a bit.

This really is an elegant solution. Not only do I get to support my favorite (albeit pathetic) sports team, I even get to listen to some good tunes. Hell, I can wear these things to the stadium next summer, tune into the broadcast, kick back, munch some nachos, and watch Raul bomb on somebody. (Unfortunately, this is the same Royals hat I frequently wear rowing around on the Potomac, so it isn't exactly clean.)

So if I post in the tweaks forum looking for the optimal listening hat, you think anyone could help me?

kerelybonto

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't know about the hat tweak....you could give it a shot, I guess.
wink.gif

But the headband DOES bend. I bent mine slightly to get a better fit. It takes a good amount of pressure....grasp the headband with both hands toward the center of the band and bend slightly. You should be able to sense the bend taking place.....do it slightly. Try them on. Continue in this manner until you achieve the perfect fit.......without a hat. Just don't get a haircut, or you'll have to repeat the process. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Hmm, okay, thanks, Joe. But I'm worried that if I bend them it will bring the drivers even lower -- right now I have them all the way to the top of the stops. It wouldn't be good to have them fit my head but have the drivers aligned with my jaw. ...

Actually the hat thing's working out pretty well. I've had them on this way for the past few hours now, getting through some Satriani, Sublime, and Zeppelin. I can't wear a hat with my V6 or SR-80 or it screws up the fit -- interesting that it helps so much with the HP-1000.

By the way, I'm running these things straight out of my CT570 at the moment, and I can already hear that they're smoother in the mids and treble than my other cans. The vocals sound more integrated into the music, and the screaming guitars lost their harshness. The bass is less immediate than my SR-80, about on par with my V6 -- I expect this to improve when I pair them with a good amp and source. They're also more revealing -- I can hear the limitations of my PCDP clearly, and my Zeppelin discs (old recordings, even though they're remastered) sound a bit grainer.

kerelybonto

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 16
Yeah they will bend, so the tightness issue is easily resolved. As far as driver placement goes, hmmm... if your noggin doesnt allow optimum location then I'm guessing the hat idea is about all you can do. I have a special Grado-approved audiophile cap that I'd be happy to sell you. The cap is emblazoned with the slogan 'I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy' but dont let that fool you. This is a real deal, audiophile grade, professional piece of headgear.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Hmm, sounds like a promising solution, MRael. If nothing else, I'd look hardcore. Oh wait -- I already do.

Maybe I can rig up one of those bottle-holding caps and sit there sizzipping on some Heinies with my music. Or maybe get one of those African dictator hats -- they have a unique shape that might do interesting things to the sound. Plus leopard skin is just hot.

Or maybe just buy a Head-Fi hat. I'll email Grado and see if they have any suggestions.

kerelybonto

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 16
I have a flat hat that I can sell you for a bit more. The flat hat improves the bass response and is actually quite rare.

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Oh really? Is it one of those discontinued ones that usually you can only find all dry-rotted?

I emailed Grado for their suggestion on the hat issue. This really is a very serious issue, but I think they'll probably suggest a Mets hat or something.

kerleybonto

Oct 3, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 16
Try inhaling through your ears.

Alternatively, give up, sell them to me.

Oct 3, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 16
The ear inhalation method doesn't work too well since they're vented. Maybe if I were having this problem with my V6. ...

I got a response back from Grado. Apparently they don't have any special hats for me. They also can't send me another headband, they said. Strangely they did say they could sell me flat pads, but I attribute that to ignorance. I'll follow up to be sure.

I tried bending the headband a bit, and as I feared it's lowering the drivers too much. I'll stick with my Royals hat for now. Maybe if I let my hair grow for another year I won't need it any more.

kerely

Oct 4, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 16
This is kinda tacky and I'm not sure I'd try it especially with HPs, but how about some removable foam lining under the headband?
You could even try some kind of cloth or that stuff they use to wrap golf club grips with?
Then again you could just take two bowl pads and use plastic ties to secure them to the headband.
md

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 16
kerelybonto,

What about trying the addition of the Sennheiser head pad suggested by TimD in the Collected Grado Mods page on Headwize (http://headwize.powerpill.org/projec...=grado_prj.htm). The solution is similar to what millerdog is suggesting just a little more refined and at $8.60 probably worth checking into. IMO the mod is pretty sweet looking and I would have tried it with my 325's, but I have the opposite problem that you do (I'm almost at the very top end of adjustment when I have my cans on).

Namastay,
Cheeba-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Uhm, for my grados, i've made a piece of cloth around the headband. I did this because i use hairwax, and i don't want to ruin the nice leathered headband. And surprisingly this helped for the fit as well. (I suspect the previous owner of bending the headband a LOT)

You should check it out, it worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back