Grado HF-1 VS. SR325i
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

incognitoedleon

500+ Head-Fier
Yeah, I know, we had similar threads before. However, I think some of the early ones might have been influenced by new toy giddiness. Apparently there's a few more HF-1's that's going to be available on Monday and I want to know if it's worth selling my SR325i's to get them. I love the speed, detail and highs (yes I like the ultra bright highs) of the SR325i. What are the main differences between the two and is going to the HF-1's even actually an upgrade or just a side-grade? Thanks.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 20
I listened to two woodied HF-1s and then promptly bought the 325i instead...

The HF-1 is a little smoother sounding but I prefer the punch of the SR. The 325i also has more extension in the highs & lows as well as more impact. For the $200 price I'd certainly consider the HF-1s if I was buying a new set of cans, now that I have the 325i my only interest is from a collector's standpoint as I do think the SR325i is the superior can.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 20
Don't sell you 325i just yet.There is only 20 being sold Monday and it is a sure thing they will be gone in a blink.

But if you do decide to sell then drop me a PM
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 20
eh ,
think of it
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp
I purchased the Grado RS-1 from another head-fier here recently:

I found that I like to synergy of the PPX3 SLAM and the 325i better, so I'm looking to trade/sell it. I'm looking for the K701, W5000, W1000. I would sale it for $525 paypal and shipping in the US is included. PM me with offers.

there's even people who like more 325i to rs-series .

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 20
The 325i is a very special Grado can! It has a very high level of detail, and sounds its best with a good tube amp. When driven properly, the highs are like nothing of the kind, and you will appreciate why this Grado is a step up from the rest, and to some degree, even the RS-1!

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 20
This could be posted elsewhere, but here this convenient thread is.

When we speak of the rock that an HF-1 (or other Grado) is generally good for, of which rock do we speak? Classic 70s & heavy rock or the broader genre (for instance, including bands like Radiohead and Zwan)?

Mar 20, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 20
Holy moley, I didn't know they were that well regarded! I'm a very proud owner of a pair and out of my measly rig they sound extremely good. Once I get into university, I'm going to go tube amp hunting. I wouldn't call my Hornet warm at all, but when combined with the RnB Diamond Reference, the SR325i does yield a slightly mellower sound. I always thought that the HF-1 were better?! Wood chambered vs metal chambered, what's the verdict?

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 20
A search will reveal my lengthy posts on this subject, but here's a brief summary:
  1. The 325i is a great pair of headphones... Detailed and fast with impact. I never had any issues with the highs, and this is coming from someone whose reference cans are Sennheiser HD650 + Zu. I did find the weight associated with the metal cups to make them a little uncomfortable after an hour or so.
  2. The HF-1 is a great pair of headphones... Not quite as detailed, not quite as fast, but with more impact, and a smoothness not usually associated with Grados. There's a warmth to them I haven't heard in other Grados, and also what has been described by many as a "fun factor." They're just a great pair of cans to listen to, and while you may find fault with any one aspect of their performance, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
  3. Either headphone can sound great when paired with the right equipment. I'm a big proponent of synergy, and finding the right match is key, especially with Grados, IMO.
  4. As always, try to listen to both and trust your own ears!

I had the 325i for 6 months, lived w/ both it and the HF-1 for about 2 weeks, and decided I didn't need both. The HF-1 was a better fit with my system for my ears. And since, they have scaled well, having received a DIY woody mod (see sig) that has made me like them even more.

My $0.02. HTH.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 20
That is a pretty good comparison IMO - I went for the more agressive can (325i). I also felt the 325i had more impact.

The 325i IS a step up, it uses better drivers - the HF-1 uses SR225 drivers. While the HF-1 uses a wood mounting cup the rest is plastic, the 325i uses metal for the housing. For price: performance I think they both are a great value and the HF-1 does add exclusivity, if you care about that kind of thing. Not like there are a ton of Grados out there anyways!
biggrin.gif

I really wish I could have heard an RS series to see what I thought but so far I definitely prefer the sound of metal Grados (except the HP).

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
The 325i IS a step up, it uses better drivers - the HF-1 uses SR225 drivers. While the HF-1 uses a wood mounting cup the rest is plastic, the 325i uses metal for the housing.

Well, that's not entirely true...

The HF-1 has unique drivers... see Zanth's interview with John Grado. The HF-1 driver housing is wood with a plastic outer cup. That plastic cup and the headband are the parts shared with the 225.
As for the 325i, the actual driver housing is plastic with a metal outer cup. You can see this if you remove the pads. I don't know if I'd say the drivers are better than the HF-1, but they definitely are different.

That said, it all comes down to personal preference and how well it interacts with your rig.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 20
My bad, I thought in that long intereview it was 225 drivers. Yep, plastic driver mounting on the 325i.

Definitely preference, at the meet where I heard the two wood HF-1s I think I was the only one to prefer the 325is of those that did some A/Bing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back