grado help please
Aug 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cambam

New Head-Fier
hi i have a bit of a dilema 
i have bought a pair of new 325is form ebay and also a used set of rs2 (no i)
my friend will take the pair i don't want but i need help deciding.
as the 325 won't be burnt in they will sound a bit naff so comparing when they arrive isn't really fair.

so it comes down to is the improvements in the "is" enough to take them past the older rs2???

thanks in advance

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 11
Although Grado "signatures" are similar, each model is also different.  Although I can't comment directly on either the RS2 or the 325i I have owned both the MS2 and an older RS1.  For me the RS1 one were a "better" headphone, much lighter, less sibilance and from memory it had more bass impact.  Having said that, I go back to the fact that they were different, so better comes down to preference as opposed to technically superior, as it so often does.  Forget the "burn in," listen to them both and keep the one YOU prefer.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
hi i have a bit of a dilema 
i have bought a pair of new 325is form ebay and also a used set of rs2 (no i)
my friend will take the pair i don't want but i need help deciding.
as the 325 won't be burnt in they will sound a bit naff so comparing when they arrive isn't really fair.

so it comes down to is the improvements in the "is" enough to take them past the older rs2???

thanks in advance

I originally wanted the RS2i but got tired of waiting for the lengthy delivery times to Australia through the official distributor.

Opted for the heavy, metallic 325i's and I've been very happy so far for rock, metal and jazz genres. The lighter build and
mellow sound of the RS series would make them more suitable for lengthy listening sessions compared to the 325i.

Aug 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 11
If you haven't already done so I would suggest you search the forums here for past threads that compare the two. I have read many threads here and if my memory serves me I think the older RS2 will be more refined sounding, but not have as much bass impact as the 325i while having more behaved highs.

The whole burn-in thing debate rages on so I can only add an opinion on the subject and that is you shouldn't be very concerned about it. Just listen to the two models with as much diversity of music as you normally play. Try not to think that the sound from the 325 is going to change, in reality there is not a person on the planet that can say with any certainty whether or not burn-in is a fact. It is also every bit as plausable that burn-in can be explained by people getting used to a new sound signature and then being able to stop focusing on analyzing the gear and rather enjoying the music. I do not pretend to know which possible explanation is correct, or if the two theories are mutually exclusive or not, all I am saying is that if you think something is there then you have a very good chance of experiencing what you expect.

I say just listen to the music, try and really relax and just groove to your tunes at first. After say a week of listening to both you will likely start to have a bend toward one model over the other, but likely not across all genres of music. I am myself going through this dilema with my HF2 and DT880. In the end you will give-up something in the model you part with, you just have to decide what aspects of their sound signatures provides you with the most joy for the largest diversity of styles. In my case I am starting to lean toward my 880, but in doing so I know that I am giving up some really nice mid range response that the HF2s have which when I listen to jazz and more ambient music is great. However, I do still like a great deal of rock music and I find that the 880s make poor rock recordings more listenable (and so many rock recordings are poor). There will always be a trade-off with any such decision. However, both of those cans are going to provide you with really nice sound so there are worse choices one could face in life! Enjoy.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 11
I've recently had the opportunity to A-B my 325is's against my friend's RS-2's for the past couple weeks and prefer the 325is's for most music. My preference tends toward the 325's with the tape mod, then the RS-2's with either unmodified bowls or the TTJV Flats. The RS2 (non-i) is definitely more mellow, fewer hi-mids but less detailed overall. Also, the 325is's have a more articulated bass sound, now I don't know how people became convinced that good bass has to be felt rather than heard ,however, if you want what is actually being played, I'd take either Grado. I've read elsewhere on this forum that the RS2's put you in the front row while the 325's put you on the stage, and I have to agree. Being a musician, I tend to prefer the 325's.

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Just listen to both and see which you like at the time. If the 325i's do get better after burn in, it won't matter to you anyway because you no longer own the headphones. If the 325's get worse after burn in, then well you can't go back to the rs2's since they're gone as well. Ooor flip a coin pick one pair and give your friend the other pair without listening to them. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
However, I do still like a great deal of rock music and I find that the 880s make poor rock recordings more listenable (and so many rock recordings are poor). There will always be a trade-off with any such decision. However, both of those cans are going to provide you with really nice sound so there are worse choices one could face in life! Enjoy.

So true, the 325i is my most ruthless, unforgiving can by far. If the recording stinks then it is just an absolute chore.
It's revelatory in a way even if it is somewhat deflating to find out that few if any Chuck Berry and Little Richard recordings
are actually any good
triportsad.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 11
What a shame that so much music is recorded poorly! Such rock albums made me move from my 225i to the HF2 to tame the sizzle which it did, but for me now the DT880 is doing one better by taking some edge away from overblown mids that are also quite difficult to take. **** the man or woman who invented brick wall limiting. Gwarmi, what do you think of the M50? My brother has the M30 and is seriously considering the M50. Thanks.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 11
I agree that the 325 is VERY unforgiving. I almost can't listen to some poorly recorded flac albums I have now because it just sounds so 'dead' compared to a well produced album. But boy, when an album is done well, the 325s really sing :) 

I think you'll enjoy the 325 if you like really fast paced, aggressive, and energetic music. I know I love mine for those purposes.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
what do you think of the M50? My brother has the M30 and is seriously considering the M50. Thanks.

Having not heard the M30 myself, it is difficult to ascertain what the leap will be up to the M50. I've mentioned this
in other threads, these cans do no wrong and yet when asked what they do well, I find myself struggling to find the words.
They have a very neutral signature with a small bass hump down low. They serve two purposes on my end. They brave the
elements fairly well when on the go in public and they can tell you straight away if something like the 325i is simply not
liking a particular recording.

I have trouble recommending due to a personal preference for bright, forward sounding cans. Detail resolution and
sound-stage is well down from my SR80i for example.

Someone preferring their very laid back presentation would probably be better off with something like the
Sennheiser HD 650 if they want something that will take it up another notch. If your bro' is strictly portable without an
amplifier then that would be a problem with the HD 650.

I will say this though - they are my only can that come close to doing justice to my electronic collection of material

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 11
@LepakVT

I love mine but I doubt that I would ever recommend them as a sole can for anyone unless that person just loved a
 specific genre *only* like rock, jazz or metal even then as you say they beat you up after 60-70mins of listening.
 What they do well though is almost peerless. The thought of something better makes my mind boggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back