Grado GS1000 - what amp?
Sep 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

MilesMan

New Head-Fier
I am the proud owner of Grado GS1000 headphones.

Currently my sound comes from a Creek Destiny CD player and a Rega headphone amp.

When buying the headphones, the dealer suggested that it would be worth me upgrading to an EarMax Silver Edition headphone amp.

My pennies have now been saved (my wife's permission granted) and I am now in a position to purchase.

Is this a wise buy? I have my doubts after reading Stereomojo's review of the Grado GS1000/Earmax Anniversary matching (don't like the idea of base that is a "bit boomy").

Would I be better of with a Lehmann Black Cube - or should I just keep the Rega and invest in some Sennheiser HD800s.

All advise welcomed.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 28
GS1000 + Earmax Pro is an excellent idea. not sure whether the anniv or silver version have improvement on that aspect.

But HD800 is an even better idea
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilesMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am the proud owner of Grado GS1000 headphones.

Currently my sound comes from a Creek Destiny CD player and a Rega headphone amp.

When buying the headphones, the dealer suggested that it would be worth me upgrading to an EarMax Silver Edition headphone amp.

My pennies have now been saved (my wife's permission granted) and I am now in a position to purchase.

Is this a wise buy? I have my doubts after reading Stereomojo's review of the Grado GS1000/Earmax Anniversary matching (don't like the idea of base that is a "bit boomy").

Would I be better of with a Lehmann Black Cube - or should I just keep the Rega and invest in some Sennheiser HD800s.

All advise welcomed.

I would go for the Mapletree Ear+HD amp. It is just awesome with my Grado RS1s. I thought it would be impossible to find an amp that was better than my Grado RA1 amp, but this thing is a head above!

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 28
Thanks - all very helpful so far.

A couple of quick thoughts

- the EAR HP4 would, I expect, be nice, but its out of my price range.

- I quite like the idea of the Musical Fidelity - knowing next to nothing about the technical side, it looks as though it may be more compatable than the EarMax (in terms of ability to drive - something about ohms) - but harder to change worn out valves.

- I was quite serious about the Sennheiser option (if the Rega is 90% there in terms of an amp, I might get more by just adding to the type of headphones I have available).

- I can't track it down but I did see the EarMax silver as a "amp to avoid" with the Grado GS1000s - this worries me.

- no one has said anything about the Cube.

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 28
dont get the earmax to power gs1000's. i have the earmax pro which sounds nice with my rs1's but not all that with my gs1000's. it just dosnt have enough juice to power them.

im still waiting to get a decent amp for gs1000's. the mapletree would be a good choice.

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 28
Thanks Harj,

The man in the shop agrees with you but assures me the Earmax Silver has more juice and will therefore work well with the Grados. I am inclined to be cautious though and avoid the Earmax.

Not heard of the Mapletree - is it sub £1k?

David

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeycam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1 and GS1000 are totally different things...

When I swap the bagels from the 1000's with the bowls from the RS1's and vice versa, I can hardly tell the difference between the two. This causes me to believe that the drivers in the two headphones are not that different.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 28
were you based milesman? i knew a guy from a different forum who complained the lack of power earmax silver gave out when used the gs1000's. singlepower amps are also meant to be good.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never tried myself, but here we go http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/tra...ad-one-381405/

Quote:

GS1000?
At first it was not the best combination, but in the end they matched wonderfully. The forwardness of this amp is perfect for the midrange of the GS1000. Bass is full but controlled. Highs are clear and detailed, but never harsh.

That's what happens when you amp the GS-1000s right. All the impressions about it sounding thin, bright, recessed mids are usually what happens when you plug them into and amp that doesn't match or feeding them with a lousy front end.

The Woo6 was the best I've heard it sound or possibly the Singlepower. But this amp looks very nice. I'm afraid to know what it costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back