Grado GS1000 vs AKG 701 vs SEnn HD650 HELP!!
Sep 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 23
There is also Piotr's comparison of Heed CanAmp with my obsoleted construction so I could say I'm aiming at matching equipment at a bit higher overall quality level. I find the GS1000 better than the K701 and the CanAmp not good enough to rate recordings. See the Heed CanAmp modification thread here.
wink.gif
I'd alter the schematic a bit as well. The Heed adds some artificial echo due to long global feedback loop which is obviously audible on GS1000 and, of course, annoying. Their handband might be modelled to any clamping force and shape just using hands. Try doing this with the AKG's or Sennheiser's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is also Piotr's comparison of Heed CanAmp with my obsoleted construction so I could say I'm aiming at matching equipment at a bit higher overall quality level. I find the GS1000 better than the K701 and the CanAmp not good enough to rate recordings. See the Heed CanAmp modification thread here.
wink.gif
I'd alter the schematic a bit as well. The Heed adds some artificial echo due to long global feedback loop which is obviously audible on GS1000 and, of course, annoying.

Well, CanAmp is good enough for me to be delighted with the beauty of music that I like. I'm pretty sure that there are better amplifiers and headphones, but for me and for that price level - this combination "just works"
k701smile.gif

And there are no problems with rating good and poor recordings - the difference between e.g. 4AD's "Eye of the hunter" by Brendan Perry and e.g. "Flying. One hour of space rock" by UFO (Repertoire Records) is obvious. The latter is a fantastic album, but recording quality is very low and is absolutely audible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their handband might be modelled to any clamping force and shape just using hands. Try doing this with the AKG's or Sennheiser's.
smily_headphones1.gif

No need to try, my AKG fits just fine. And wouldn't like to break Grados
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would pick up a used RS1 for <500 instead of a GS1000, and spend the rest on amp.

Based on the earlier comment about mids and highs, I agree 100%.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on the earlier comment about mids and highs, I agree 100%.

Actually if I were you I would pick up used RS1 as well as a used Marantz SA8001 SACD player. You could probably get both combined for around $900 to $1000. The Marantz has a headphone out with a surprisingly decent amp built in the player. Then I would save up to invest in a stand alone amp down the road.

BTW, if you could get lucky enough to get your hands on a used Grado HF2 (only produced 500) I would jump on it. I prefer them over the RS1 and the GS-1000. Awesome rock headphone that are a little smoother than the RS1 (not quite as bright on the top end) with better bass extension. You can probably pick one up for around $550 to $600 (they have already appreciated up from the original cost of $430 earlier in the year). You should also be able to get your money out of them and then some if you are not happy with them based on the appreciation to date.

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to try, my AKG fits just fine. And wouldn't like to break Grados
tongue.gif

You'd break the Senn's or AKG's headband much sooner. The Grado's one you could even make flat. I guess they are produced that way and bent later.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 23
Thanks guys but I ended up getting SR125i's and they sound amazing!!! Need to save up for RS1 now and get a Creek OBH-11. SWEEEEET

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lokimonoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys but I ended up getting SR125i's and they sound amazing!!! Need to save up for RS1 now and get a Creek OBH-11. SWEEEEET

Congratulations on your purchase lokimonoxide.

"If you have a limited budget Grado SR60 is one option to consider.
If you have saved budget Grado SR225 is one way to think.
If you are already rich Grado RS1 is at stake maybe."

Be a simple headfier. Be a Grado lover.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your purchase lokimonoxide.

"If you have a limited budget Grado SR60 is one option to consider.
If you have saved budget Grado SR225 is one way to think.
If you are already rich Grado RS1 is at stake maybe."

Be a simple headfier. Be a Grado lover.

The RS1s are the best cans for rock...period. The GS1000s do not sound like Grado's to me. They are very nice for quite listening to jazz...but rock is LOUD and in your face and nothing beats the RS1s.

I've tried the GS1000s on a few really good amps and it really journey's too far from that classic Grado sound.

Majkel swears by the GS1000s. Not me...if you're looking at spending $999US for rock cans, then get the Denon D7000s...they are much better than the GS1000s.

Funny, as I'm typing this, I'm listening to my RS1s with Rob Zombie...I'm taking a break from my new beyer T1s (I thought after 1 straight week of listening to only them, I'd give something else a try) and the RS1s are just great!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back