Grado GS1000 purchase - recommendations please
May 20, 2014 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Midge

New Head-Fier
Yesterday I won an auction on eBay.co.uk for what was listed as Grado GS1000i.  I paid promptly and I'm waiting for some response or notification of postage from the seller.

However, after very carefully looking at the sellers photos, it now seems that the photos show the GS1000 model, not the newer i version.  I paid £335, which seems a reasonable (UK) price for used GS1000i, but I am now concerned that I will almost certainly be receiving the older GS1000 model.  The seller is in Bulgaria.

I've emailed the seller but no response yet.  I spoke to eBay about the contradictory listing and although I am covered, it seems nothing can be done until I receive the headphones.  Then I can complain if they are NOT the GS1000i.

I have used Grado SR125 for 15 years and been very happy with them but they are now a bit faulty, so I wanted to upgrade.  I like the Grado sound.  I know they're a bit short on bass.

If I receive GS1000 what do you recommend I should do?  Return them and hold out for the i?  Or is the price I paid reasonable (in the UK) for the GS1000?  Basically, I should have the option to audition and keep the GS1000 for £335 or return them, get a refund and wait for the i version.

I have read another (old) thread here, which suggested that the i version was much better.

Thanks in advance.

May 21, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 40
I'm guessing there are no responses because it's a stupid and/or verbose question?!

I think I've now established that the GS1000i actually have GS1000 written on the headphones; the i is missing.  Perhaps someone could just confirm that fact for me please?

If that's true, how is it possible to distinguish the two models?

May 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 40
Probably the easiest way to determine exactly what model it is, is firstly to WAIT for it to arrive.
Then take off the earpads and have a look at the serial number, then write down the serial number.
Then write a polite email to Grado (who usually reply very quickly) asking if they can tell you when it was made and if it is a GS1000 or GS1000i.

They SHOULD be able to tell you.

Then if they reply that it is a GS1000 and not a GS1000i, send a message to the guy who sold it to you that you want a £50 refund or you'll bring the thunder. 
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 40
Thank you, GREQ.  Noted.

I admit, I am struggling with the WAIT!  But much relieved to discover that there is a good reason for the eBay photo not showing the "i".

May 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 40
  Yesterday I won an auction on eBay.co.uk for what was listed as Grado GS1000i.  I paid promptly and I'm waiting for some response or notification of postage from the seller.

However, after very carefully looking at the sellers photos, it now seems that the photos show the GS1000 model, not the newer i version.  I paid £335, which seems a reasonable (UK) price for used GS1000i, but I am now concerned that I will almost certainly be receiving the older GS1000 model.  The seller is in Bulgaria.

I've emailed the seller but no response yet.  I spoke to eBay about the contradictory listing and although I am covered, it seems nothing can be done until I receive the headphones.  Then I can complain if they are NOT the GS1000i.

I have used Grado SR125 for 15 years and been very happy with them but they are now a bit faulty, so I wanted to upgrade.  I like the Grado sound.  I know they're a bit short on bass.

If I receive GS1000 what do you recommend I should do?  Return them and hold out for the i?  Or is the price I paid reasonable (in the UK) for the GS1000?  Basically, I should have the option to audition and keep the GS1000 for £335 or return them, get a refund and wait for the i version.

I have read another (old) thread here, which suggested that the i version was much better.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm .... I hate to say it, but this sounds quite similar to when I 'bought' a Grado RS1i a couple of years ago. The seller was in Sofia, Bulgaria and had a very low (but 100%) feedback score.

The item was never shipped and the seller ignored my attempts to conact him.   I raised a complaint and eventually got a full refund, but it took a couple of months.

Since then, I've seen the same RS1i listed a few times - different sellers, but always in Sofia and with a feedback score of about 10.  I've also seen a GS1000i listed a couple of times, with the same kind of seller.

Do you have a link to the original listing?

May 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 40
Glug!  Yes, this was one of my concerns.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-Statement-GS1000I-Headphones-/151305802852?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=%252BkyZmLxk3K6nb%252Fr0%252B3L7uSqM6IU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I guess I now have to just wait....

May 21, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 40
  Glug!  Yes, this was one of my concerns.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grado-Statement-GS1000I-Headphones-/151305802852?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=%252BkyZmLxk3K6nb%252Fr0%252B3L7uSqM6IU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I guess I now have to just wait....

Well, the location / feedback score fits with my experience, but the images of the item are different from the last time I saw a listing that looked like it was the same scam.

The scammers might have stared using different images whenever they re-list the items, of course ...

With a bit of luck it might be genuine, though, so very sorry if it turns out I've caused you undue worry! 

May 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 40
Oh damn... I think it's a GS1000. 
frown.gif

This is PURELY A GUESS based on looking at the gimble rods, which appear to be square rods, instead of the more modern circle rods.

Can anyone else confirm this? or were perhaps some early GS1000i's made with square rods?

*edit*
But on second thoughts.... if it does have square rods, that means it's a fairly old one.... might actually be worth it after all! 
redface.gif

May 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 40
I should also say that if it turns out to be a scam then (assuming you paid by PayPal) you will almost certainly get a full refund.

When it happened to me, eBay contacted the seller for proof of shipping / delivery and when they didn't hear back they found in my favour.

May 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #10 of 40
Thank you both very much.  I think it's pretty safe to now assume that it's a scam.  I believe in coincidences, but.....

Any yes, I paid by PayPal.  So I'll probably see my money back in 2 months time.

Sorry, I don't understand GREQ's comment about them being worth it if they are old.  Could you explain to me please?

May 21, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 40
The seller NEEDS to respond in a reasonable amount of time with the shipping/tracking number information.  Give them 48 hours from time of auction close.  Thats more than enough... for at least SOME SORT of response.

Contact the seller politely and let them know of they do not respond in 48 hours you will open an Ebay case for the item.  Harsh as it sounds, Epay is a haven for this kind of scam, and its why I have not used it in close to a decade for higher $$ items.  Some sellers are just flat out lazy and need a kick in the pants before they do anything.

But do not let it sit idle, take action now to keep the ball rolling.  The clock is ticking on you, so to speek.  Theres only a limited time frame within which you can file a claim and recover your $$.

At this point it looks like the seller received funds and is refusing to ship item.  Which is a perfectly legit claim to file on your part.

If you remain on it, you should be able to get your $$ back much much sooner than 2 months.

I was a victim of a Chinese coin scam on epay, acted promptly and got my $$ refunded in about 3 weeks from auction end.

Good Luck!!

May 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 40
  Thank you both very much.  I think it's pretty safe to now assume that it's a scam.  I believe in coincidences, but.....

Any yes, I paid by PayPal.  So I'll probably see my money back in 2 months time.

Sorry, I don't understand GREQ's comment about them being worth it if they are old.  Could you explain to me please?

Its no secret that John makes running design changes to all the Grado models.  There are many who prefer the older models over the newer iterations.  I think this is what he was getting at.

May 21, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 40

Its no secret that John makes running design changes to all the Grado models.  There are many who prefer the older models over the newer iterations.  I think this is what he was getting at.

Exactly.
Every now and the, the older versions seem to demand more coin than their younger brethren.

But with paypal/ebay you should be fine, scam or no scam. Don't lose sleep over this! 

May 22, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 40
Thank you very much for your good advice.  And yes, I now understand the comment about the older models possibly carrying more value to some people.  Makes sense.

Well, for those of you who might be interested, the seller has finally (surprisingly) responded with the following shipping/tracking information:

20 May 2014 16:09:00БЪЛГАРИЯСОФИЯ 80Пратката e получена  
20 May 2014 20:27:00БЪЛГАРИЯСОФИЯПратката е в добро състояние  
22 May 2014 00:32:30BULGARIASOFIA LC/AOReceive item at office of exchange (Otb) Получаване на Изх.пратка в Межд.разменна станция (В 09)  

I guess that just proves that something is being posted within Bulgaria!

The seller also stated that the sale item is the GS1000i model, not the GS1000.  Yeah, right.

Personally, I still believe it's all a scam.  Maybe that's just my cynicism.  I'm naturally an optimist, but in this case although I'm not panicking about it, I am resigned to the likelihood that I will not be getting a pair of GS1000is in the near future!

All I can do now is wait to see if I receive something in the next week and if so, what it might be.

I will keep this thread updated.  Many thanks again to GREQ, sinnottj and kramer5150.

May 22, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 40
I'm glad you heard back from the seller, maybe it *is* a genuine sale after all ...

I agree that the headphones pictured in the listing are the older GS1000 though. Still a decent price if the condition is s described (assuming this is not a scam, of course!)

Please do keep this thread updated, I'm interested to see how it plays out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back