Grado GS1000--first impressions not so good
Sep 1, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #76 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so are they bright or not
confused.gif

i guess i just need to buy them and find out for myself.

In the context of the GS1000, to my ears, they are bright compare to other nice cans, but not bright as the SR or RS series. If you have MS2i or RS325i, you hear it a bit brighter than the GS1000. Again, to my ears, the GS1000 is rather resolving, and it does well at all frequency range.

If you think the GS1000 is bright, then Grado cans are not for you. There's nothing wrong with you or the phones.
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #77 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one is right or wrong. We're all created differently. Thanks to mom & dad
tongue.gif
and whoever created them.

I wish that I know exactly how you hear and/or what your hear.

It's great that you enjoy a particular pair of cans, and I feel sorry for your wallet if you don't find them fit your taste.
wink.gif

exactly my point.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #78 of 156
Quote:

confused.gif

I guess it depends on who you ask. Sounds like a plan
icon10.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #79 of 156
Quote:

confused.gif

Honestly, I can't say they are bright. For me they are just right.

Again, I have the Black Dragon so I don't know what the stock cans are like, but it seems like us with the Black Dragon have been far more satisfied and less likely to complain about any brightness. I'm not really a cable believer but it might really do a big difference in this case.

System matching may be crucial for these headphones, but I find it unlikely since I was able to get such a well-matched system eventhough I didn't have the phones in hand when I bought the amplifier and CD player.

You should give them a shot. Great headphones, it's a shame they've gotten so many negative reviews here. Someone really should start a loaners program to enlighten people.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #81 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"No one is right or wrong" True words.

I'm amazed at how many people spend so much money on gear when they haven't had a hearing test in ages. I mean a really good test that shows your response curve. I consider myself a really good listener- able to discern the slightest things. That's true for the most part, but what came as a surprise on my last check-up was a bit of scar tissue in my left ear. I assume this manifested after a verly slight rupture 2 yrs ago during an illness. You'd think that would make my hearing less responsive in a particular frequency, but the adverse is true- I have a sensitivity @ about the 7Khz range. My hearing spikes at that point and drops like a stone after about 14Khz. All of this is in the left ear, of course. The right ear is pretty much normal.

What does this mean? I implemented a dreaded EQ in my main rig to drop the 7-10Khz range a bit and suddenly things sound linear and balanced. What I once considered a bit of glare coming from a pair of Raven R1's was actually my fault all along.

It is with this bit of knowledge I find the reports of harsh HF in a given pair of headphones a bit amusing- or any arguement over who is right and/or potentially wrong with a judgement of any kind regarding the "absolute" fidelity of ANY product. We are indeed all unique and so is our hearing. We also have many unique audio "goals".

Man! You are so right in the main point you convey here! I so totally agree with you and thanks for presenting it in a way that most folks will understand!
You just sparked an idea that I was thinkng of with your comments in mind.

It should become a requirement or standard practice for anyone who reviews audio equipment to get their own hearing tested and post their resultant ear's frequency response graph/chart up with the review. That way all others can see just how good or bad that reviewers hearing is when they describe the sound of a piece of equipment such as speakers or headphones.

Get what I mean? So if we are all going to do reviews amateur or pro, we should go get a hearing test graph plotted of our own hearing and include it with our signatures or somewhere in our review comments.

All the professional magazines should do this immediately to add more accuracy and believabilty to their reviews.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #82 of 156
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #83 of 156
I'm at the point where I do love the sound of my GS-1000's (had 'em almost a month, don't have a clue how many hours I've put on them). But it took some time for me to determine if I thought they were $600 US better than my 325i's.

For one thing, I was initially put off by the amount of bass these things can pump. But either they, my ears, or both have settled, and now the bass is just right. The bass signature is still remarkably different from the Prestige series. The SR's bass is more of a support player than a co-star with the mids and highs, more of a rumble than a punch. The GS1k's bass is a definite punch, a definite co-star. I can't honestly say I don't miss more of the rumble, but the 1k's bass is visceral enough to more than compensate for this.

So far as brightness, the 325i's do sound brighter to me, but the 1k's deliver a more true-sounding (to my ears) treble in a somewhat lower dosage. In some instances, cymbals sound so realistic to me I can almost taste the metal.

The 1k's mids are a tad recessed compared to the 325i's. Big part of that is the salad bowls. The experience vs. the 325i's is, to me, that with the 325i's, you feel like you're in the middle of it all, down on the street; with the 1k's, it's more like being somewhat above it all, resulting in more sweeping view via the increased soundstage. Big music, such as orchestral recordings, sounds that much bigger, and panning effects come across as less extreme. One can get that "down on the street" feeling with the 1k's by switching to the smaller bowls, but for me, that makes the bass a total monster (which I know many here would consider an absolute plus
icon10.gif
).

One review of the 1k's I saw mentioned that some time ago Grado tried trotting out the salad bowls at some meet or somesuch in conjuction with the Prestige and Signature lines, but this was met with little enthusiasm. So I do wonder if the 1k's were possibly designed to sound good with the oversized pads. I actually like the oversized pads on the 325i's for some music (again, that kind needing a larger soundstage). One does lose bass response, but if you like orchestral work (where bass is usually best underplayed than overplayed) and own the 325i's, I recommend the $45 investment in the salad bowls.

So far as a sexiness factor, no way can the woodies, to my mind, out sexy the aluminum cans. Yes, the woodies do smell good, and they are light, but that gleeming, bullet-proof-looking metal -- va-va-voom!
tongue.gif

Anyway, after some three weeks of hemming and hawing, I've decided the 1k's are worth the extra investment. But if you have a taste for the Grado sound, no way can you go wrong with either.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #84 of 156
I loved the GS1000's when I first put them on!

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #88 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the GS1K was the most amazing smelling can I've ever smelled. Am I crazy here? I mean they smelled lovely. Somebody back me up?
tongue.gif

Definately. My HD600 smelled a bit like mint when I first got them but the GS1000 were just something else. I actually took them off my head at times to smell them. How perverted is that?
eek.gif

I agree with what Torula Yeast said above in his mini-review. Quite a spot-on description of what they are like.

I think I'm going to try put a review together myself. Would probably take a couple of days to finish though.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #89 of 156
I agree with bOdhi, Redo, Bluetick, Mortalcoil, and mbd2884 re burn-in. It's probably more a case of your ears adjusting rather than the HPs changing after many hours of burn-in. Like Bootleg, I liked the GSK right out of the box. But like Mindless, I've only heard them with BDs so I, too, can't speak for the GSK with stock cable.

For me, the test for the GSK is in the bass. If it sounds punchy, tight, and deep, then everything else works. If the bass is flabby, the whole is crap. Thus, the amp is critical. It doesn't need a whole lot of juice, but it needs the right kind in the right places. In this way, the GSK is touchy. I don't recall who said it in this thread, but the point was that there's a sweet spot (and the reference is to synergy, I think) in a GSK setup. He said that when you hit it, you'll know it, and I'll add that, at that point, you'll never entertain thoughts of giving them up.

Still, there are times when I can't seem to find that sweet spot even when the lineup of equipment hasn't changed, and at these times I suspect the fault is with me, not the GSK. I sense that my ability to appreciate SQ isn't constant. It fluctuates, and at a low period, the best cans can sound like crap.

The GSK gives the best SQ I've ever heard. Period.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #90 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the GS-1000 for a long time at a hifi dealer using really nice equipment and I couldn't get over the sibilance or brightness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the GS1000 was about the same. I tried to make it work and it wasn't for me.

Same here. No matter what equipment used, the sibilant highs were pure pain for my ears. Bass performance was also everything but good. There was plenty of it but... that's it. Nice for some electronic music though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To this point, I can't say... I've noticed any harshness in their highs at all. Nothing at all like that of the RS-1's, or other Grados.

I've never had problems with RS-1 highs but plenty of problems with GS1000. Well I greatly prefer RS-1 over GS1000 anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back