Grado GS1000--first impressions not so good
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #47 of 156
The only thing I find rediculous about long burn time with the GS1000's are people not actually owning them and or not giving them the time the they need to settle down, commenting that it doesn't happen.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #48 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, they just sound hollow and overly bright. The bass seems ok, but it is overpowered by the treble. I do kind of like the effect it has on some stringed instruments (you can hear the bowing much better), but on others it sounds fairly weak.

That's the inherent sound of the GS-1000 and it does not go away. I had my pair for some time and put hundreds of hours on it, it improves somewhat over time but it's not anywhere close to a night & day difference. If, for instance, a person finds them just a bit bright, then break-in has a fair chance of alleviating that problem. However, in your case it sounds like there's a large gap between where the headphone is and where you want it to be, and in such a case, hoping & waiting for break-in to "fix" the sound is almost certainly futile.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #49 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the inherent sound of the GS-1000 and it does not go away. I had my pair for some time and put hundreds of hours on it, it improves somewhat over time but it's not anywhere close to a night & day difference. If, for instance, a person finds them just a bit bright, then break-in has a fair chance of alleviating that problem. However, in your case it sounds like there's a large gap between where the headphone is and where you want it to be, and in such a case, hoping & waiting for break-in to "fix" the sound is almost certainly futile.

Not what I found at all. But that's just me.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #50 of 156
What a difference a day makes!!! They sound 10 times better today than yesterday. This leaves no doubt in my mind that burn-in works. WOOHOO!

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #51 of 156
Quote:

What a difference a day makes!!! They sound 10 times better today than yesterday. This leaves no doubt in my mind that burn-in works. WOOHOO!

An over night sesation, that's a new one. But if you say so. Did you have playing over night ? Mine happened the same way, but this was after two + weeks of heavy playing, the harsness on the highs just went awy.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #52 of 156
Quote:

Glad to hear they are getting better.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #53 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An over night sesation, that's a new one. But if you say so. Did you have playing over night ? Mine happened the same way, but this was after two + weeks of heavy playing, the harsness on the highs just went awy.

No, not overnight. I'm talking about Wednesday night to Friday morning. So technically, about 36 hours.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #54 of 156
Quote:

No, not overnight. I'm talking about Wednesday night to Friday morning. So technically, about 36 hours.

well that's great, glad your happy. It's always nice when you spend a good sum of money and in the end your happy you did. Good luck with them, I'm sure you will like them even more as time goes on.

Give us an update in another week or so on how they sound.

Frank

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #55 of 156
Glad you like them better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #56 of 156
Just got a virtually new pair of GS1000's.

These are absolutely beautiful - they've got a very interesting, clear, light and dark grain pattern that's beautiful.

And they sound great out of my XCAN v3, or DV 332 from my Monarchy M24 DAC, or Cal Audio Alpha DAC.

Big soundstage, great / deep bass, and crystal clear highs - which are not even close to being siblant. Mids are good too, but a bit lower in the mix... unless I press on the ear pieces, which improves the sound 100% - moving the drivers closer to my ears. Much louder, more mids in the balance - very much like my RS-1's, but with a bigger soundstage.

The sound seems to be steadily improving as I listen - becoming clearer and more solid.

Are there any earphone cushion mods... that will help maintain the drivers closer to my ears, or are there alternative cushions available????

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #57 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any earphone cushion mods... that will help maintain the drivers closer to my ears, or are there alternative cushions available????

Any Grado pads will work.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #58 of 156
Quote:

Just got a virtually new pair of GS1000's.

These are absolutely beautiful - they've got a very interesting, clear, light and dark grain pattern that's beautiful.

And they sound great out of my XCAN v3, or DV 332 from my Monarchy M24 DAC, or Cal Audio Alpha DAC.

Big soundstage, great / deep bass, and crystal clear highs - which are not even close to being siblant. Mids are good too, but a bit lower in the mix... unless I press on the ear pieces, which improves the sound 100% - moving the drivers closer to my ears. Much louder, more mids in the balance - very much like my RS-1's, but with a bigger soundstage.

The sound seems to be steadily improving as I listen - becoming clearer and more solid.

Check out some of my post's on what your asking. Clamp pressure, driver placement and distance form ear make a big differance in SQ when they where new. As they settled in it has much less of an affect now. Dont ask me why, but that's what I found. It seems that having the driver's on a skque, (not having drivers parallel with side of your head, but having them parallel to the surface of your outter ear) made them sound much better. I hope I explained it ok, I'm not the best at putting my thoughts into words. sorry
biggrin.gif

I also tried other pads with them and they just don't cut it.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #59 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out some of my post's on what your asking. Clamp pressure, driver placement and distance form ear make a big differance in SQ when they where new. As they settled in it has much less affect now. Dont ask me why, but that's what I found. It seems that having the driver's on a skque, (not having drivers parallel with side of your head, but having them parallel to the surface of your outter ear) made them sound much better. I hope I explained it ok, I'm not the best at putting my thoughts into words. sorry
biggrin.gif

I also tried other pads with them and they just don't cut it.

I agree... pressing the front edge closer to your ear, so that the fronts are closer - makes a big improvement... at least "when they're still green." Much more substantial, weighty, clear sound.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #60 of 156
Quote:

I agree... pressing the front edge closer to your ear, so that the fronts are closer - makes a big improvement... at least "when they're still green." Much more substantial, weighty, clear sound.

Yes really cleared things up, and cured some of the harshness on some of the high's. The good news is I don't have to play with them anymore, I just stick them on my haead and listen.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back