Grado GS1000--first impressions not so good
Sep 5, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #106 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned both a stock and BD pair myself.
biggrin.gif

Hey, is there a big difference? I always wonder if I'm just blowing my money when I automatically recable without listening to the stock.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #107 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, is there a big difference? I always wonder if I'm just blowing my money when I automatically recable without listening to the stock.

The GS's sound is highly reliant on upstream components. If they are inline and bearing compatibility to all elements, then yes, you should hear a considerable difference. Whether the difference you likey is another story. There are threads too, discussing the merits and differences for the BD VS stock cabling..as pertaining the GS

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #108 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder how much the cable comes into play - that is, if what is breaking/burning in is more so the cable and less the headphone. i wonder if someone has every compared a brand new 600/650 to a burned in one but with both a well used cable. i would be interested in that comparison.

Drew at Moon Audio is a great guy to discuss this topic with, he is quite familiar with the build quality and specs of the stock Grado Labs cable, and may be able to shed additional light to any inquiries you have, I suppose.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #109 of 156
Quote:

As long as you believe there is a difference it's an upgrade.
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #110 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think that statement proves to me we all have differant tastes and ears.

Frank

It sure does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by the bass is "everything but good"? This is just saying that you don't like it. It would be more informative if you gave a reason. I'm sure it might have too much bass for some people, but matters of taste aside, in terms of definition, power and speed, the bass is excellent all-round. In fact it's one of the best things about them.

What I mean is that it runs over everything else. There is power but it's slow and bloated to my taste. I'm not sure is there too much bass or is the midrange just very recessed on GS1000. Anyway the sound is everything but balanced. Bass tightness and speed isn't a strong area for HD650 but I think that it easily outperforms GS1000 there.

So yes... it means that I don't like it. My opinion is still just as right as yours. You find the bass fast and excellent and I don't. There's no absolute truth in these things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely had sources problem. The RS1 is well known for high frequency and even harsh upper midrange. I had to roll tubes on the MAD EAR+ to tame the harshness and sibilance.

For your enjoyment, try some tube amps and keep it on rolling.
evil_smiley.gif
... and add vinyl to the source
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sources I've used with GS1000: Storm Digital D02, Wadia 8XX CDP (can't remember the exact model). Both of those sources are known as full and warm sounding sources. Definitely everything but harsh or fatiguing sounding sources. Amp with Wadia was custom built Singlepower Supra with Mullard tubes.

Well I guess those sources are just too crappy for GS1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Loving the GS-1000 is an acquired taste, you have to listen to them for a long time to really understand them. I only listened to them for 20 mins and it wasn't enough, loved them better than the RS-1, so much airrrrrrrrrrr pumping through my ears !!

A week didn't do it for me. Not even close.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #111 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sources I've used with GS1000: Storm Digital D02, Wadia 8XX CDP (can't remember the exact model). Both of those sources are known as full and warm sounding sources. Definitely everything but harsh or fatiguing sounding sources. Amp with Wadia was custom built Singlepower Supra with Mullard tubes.

Well I guess those sources are just too crappy for GS1000.

A week didn't do it for me. Not even close.

I don't doubt the validity of your observations. Under some conditions, the GSK can sound crappy. But under others, they're fantastic. In a word, they're finicky. Find the sweet spot, and you're in a heaven like no other. From my experience, component pricetags aren't always the best indicators for GSK synergy. They sound great with my HRD. They also sound terrific straight out of my $50 MuVo V100. Go figure.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #112 of 156
Quote:

I don't doubt the validity of your observations. Under some conditions, the GSK can sound crappy. But under others, they're fantastic. In a word, they're finicky. Find the sweet spot, and you're in a heaven like no other. From my experience, component pricetags aren't always the best indicators for GSK synergy. They sound great with my HRD. They also sound terrific straight out of my $50 MuVo V100. Go figure.

x2.

GS1000 sounds better out of my Tomahawk than with my MAD EAR+, a $300 vs $600, respectively. Expensive gears are only good if they can provide the desired end results.
wink.gif

Personally, I won't pay for an Orpheus system, because I'll fall asleep listening to it, and at the same time having a large hole on my wallet.
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #113 of 156
I'm not the only one who thinks that price doesn't make all the difference? Nice to hear that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard GS1000 with so many different combos that I seriously doubt that it will ever sound good to my ears. Just one of those few headphones I can't stand.

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #114 of 156
Quote:

I'm not the only one who thinks that price doesn't make all the difference? Nice to hear that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard GS1000 with so many different combos that I seriously doubt that it will ever sound good to my ears. Just one of those few headphones I can't stand.

I think we've all agreed that GS1000 sound signature is not for everyone. However, you comments have made many of us confused. For example, you stated that the GS1000 is bright, but you hear the RS1 just right. To me, that's a major contradiction, and it made me think if you had really compared these two at all.

Personally, it took me 5 different amps and about more or less 100 combination of tube set to find a sweet spot for GS1000. If you listen to GS1000 for a few hours and you declare that it's not for you, then I'm sorry that it's your loss.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #115 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely had sources problem. The RS1 is well known for high frequency and even harsh upper midrange. I had to roll tubes on the MAD EAR+ to tame the harshness and sibilance.

For your enjoyment, try some tube amps and keep it on rolling.
evil_smiley.gif
... and add vinyl to the source
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've always found the RS-1 harshness to be more about their upfront presentation then it is about sibilance/piercing treble. The GS-1000 definitely have loads of sibilance and terribly piercing treble. Their recessed midrange is annoying as well. I'm glad I don't own either of them anymore
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #116 of 156
Quote:

Bass tightness and speed isn't a strong area for HD650 but I think that it easily outperforms GS1000 there.

Wow. Just...wow.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #117 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always found the RS-1 harshness to be more about their upfront presentation then it is about sibilance/piercing treble.

yes. this is dead on. i actually think the RS1s are quite warm sounding headphones, not bright at all in the manner of the DT880s, but the very forward presentation makes them irritating after a while. i can only wear them for an hour or two before i need a change. having said that though, they are still one of my favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-1000 definitely have loads of sibilance and terribly piercing treble. Their recessed midrange is annoying as well. I'm glad I don't own either of them anymore
biggrin.gif

i'm becoming less interested in the GS1000 the more i read this thread.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #118 of 156
Something's very strange about the various perceptions of the GS-1000's. It seems very odd that so many would have totally different opinions about the highs on the GS-1000's - some thinking they're strident / harsh... and... some thinking not.

Regardless of the frequency curves... I tried them for a few days... and... didn't find them strident / harsh at all - nowhere near as bright as the RS-1's, or certainly the SR325i's. While some of this disparity can be due to the relative degree of burn-in of the various phones... it still seems that the opinions are far more disparte than for almost any other set of phones.

I'm wondering... if it could be that Grado changed the drivers in the GS-1000's in mid-production (and didn't announce it to avoid the obvious complaints) - and that could be the reason for the disparate opinions???

Some just may be a lot "brighter" than others - for that reason.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #119 of 156
There are differences between drivers, but not to the degree that would explain what we're seeing here.

I've noticed that those that find the GS harsh are those that tend to favour the HD650 type sound, which are known for blooming only at high volumes. The opposite is true for the GS - it blooms at low volumes and is not tuned for high volume playback, which is probably what the HD650 users are used to.

I find the GS to have fairly neutral treble, but prominent upper-mids and prominent bass, but it's only harsh at high volumes. They are tuned for low volume playback and are simply sublime at that task, so perhaps people should consider their intended usage.

That being said, there are some puzzling comparisons being made, and I think the best explanation for those is simple - bias.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #120 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes. this is dead on. i actually think the RS1s are quite warm sounding headphones, not bright at all in the manner of the DT880s, but the very forward presentation makes them irritating after a while. i can only wear them for an hour or two before i need a change. having said that though, they are still one of my favorites.

i'm becoming less interested in the GS1000 the more i read this thread.

Yeah, they suck... you don't want them... put your wallet away
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something's very strange about the various perceptions of the GS-1000's. It seems very odd that so many would have totally different opinions about the highs on the GS-1000's - some thinking they're strident / harsh... and... some thinking not.

Regardless of the frequency curves... I tried them for a few days... and... didn't find them strident / harsh at all - nowhere near as bright as the RS-1's, or certainly the SR325i's. While some of this disparity can be due to the relative degree of burn-in of the various phones... it still seems that the opinions are far more disparte than for almost any other set of phones.

I'm wondering... if it could be that Grado changed the drivers in the GS-1000's in mid-production (and didn't announce it to avoid the obvious complaints) - and that could be the reason for the disparate opinions???

Some just may be a lot "brighter" than others - for that reason.

I doubt the drivers have changed. They have a treble spike which is noticeable on some systems and less noticeable or completely tamed on others. Just like the RS-1 sounding harsh with some amps and less peaky with other amps (specifically tubes).

I've owned the RS-1 for about 5 years and the GS-1000s since they came out. I spent about a year going back and forth and the RS-1 was clearly brighter with bowls. Not so with flats of course (highs are almost non-existent).

I think some people are more sensitive to highs and may not have heard them with the right amp, didn't break them in, or listen to badly recorded music and are used to the highs being tamed like the HD650 does with roll off.

The HE-90s have similar highs to the GS which need taming and can sound sibilent, but people that get HE-90s don't plug them into an ipod or an "expensive" source that doesn't match them if you KWIM, so that's why you don't hear about them being bright or sibilant as much.

Other headphones like the Qualia, K701, etc. have had extreme differences in opinion as well. They are bright to some, others say there is no brightness most likely for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back