Grado GS-1000 Awesome but what nextt!!!!?????
Mar 3, 2008 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm loving my new Grado GS-1000 headphones but which direction do I go from here in terms of Grados? I'm sure there must be Grado's of the same quality but with different sound signatures but what might you reccomend??
Thanks,
Mitch

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 19
I have not heard the Grado GS1K, but I have heard some of the others.

From what I've read, the GS1K sound totally different from the typical Grado "house sound".

That said, judging by the Grado's I've heard, I'm wanting to guess/say it's more of an exaggerated statement. Between my SR80's and RS2's, the differences are more subtle than this forum leads on. Worth the difference in cash? Aesthetically maybe, but the resolve and detail, although the RS2's are undoubtedly superior, I don't feel the difference in price is warrant-able. Now, if I did have the extra cash, I sure as heck WOULD buy RS2's....but going from a better buy standpoint....no way....IMO atleast.

Go with SR80's or 225's which are easily 90% of an RS1 or RS2. Atleast their price points are where it won't be TOO HORRIBLE to your wallet as it would be to buy something like an RS1 or RS2...

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 19
Re-mortgage your home and go for the PS1.

I THINK there are 250 out there..
wink.gif

NK

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, judging by the Grado's I've heard, I'm wanting to guess/say it's more of an exaggerated statement. Between my SR80's and RS2's, the differences are more subtle than this forum leads on. Worth the difference in cash? Aesthetically maybe, but the resolve and detail, although the RS2's are undoubtedly superior, I don't feel the difference in price is warrant-able. Now, if I did have the extra cash, I sure as heck WOULD buy RS2's....but going from a better buy standpoint....no way....IMO atleast.

Go with SR80's or 225's which are easily 90% of an RS1 or RS2. Atleast their price points are where it won't be TOO HORRIBLE to your wallet as it would be to buy something like an RS1 or RS2...

Have you actually owned the RS1 or RS2? I only ask because I've found that headphones like the Grados really can't shine in a meet the way they do when you get used to them. I've owned the SR-80, RS-2, HP-2, and MS Pro and the differences are there. The other thing to point out is that, at least in my opinion, the jump from RS-2 to MS Pro or HP-2 (I never owned the RS-1) is a big one, almost like the jump from SR-80 to RS-2. The SR-80 is a good headphone for sure, and whether it's "90% of an RS1 or RS2" is definitely for the individual to decide. But if Mitch has the money to spend on headphones like the GS-1000, I wouldn't suggest "settling" for an SR-80 or such if he's looking for something top-of-the-line.

Personally, I preferred the MS Pro to the HP-1000 HP2 that I had. I've only heard the RS-1 at meets and at someone else's house, so I can't really speak to that. I also haven't heard the GS-1000. But I think the MS Pro is a headphone worth checking out for sure. Though when I bought mine it was around $400 (used) whereas now they seem to go for much more.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 19
I've spent considerable time with them after my 1st meet up with some RS2's, and while I do agree the RS2 is better than the SR80, I don't think the jump is that big. Well, atleast as big as this forum leads on. There are nuances that make the RS2 better, but the 4x price difference is nowhere near worth it IMO unless you're wanting aesthetics. I know we shouldn't be looking at it being "4x better", but one would seem to expect a larger difference upon initial hearing than I did. Sure, I've grown to appreciate the differences with extended listening, but who WOULDN'T grow accustomed to the differences with extended time to ANY headphone?

I wasn't implying "settling" rather, giving the Grado house sound a try because like said, I haven't heard the GS1K, but it doesn't offer the same sound and it wouldn't be as detrimental to your wallet according to most on here. Then again, it could just be fanboyism...who knows. Nobody really know what their preferences are till they hear it for themselves, which is why I say, the SR80 is a good choice cause it doesn't hurt as much when purchasing...

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm loving my new Grado GS-1000 headphones but which direction do I go from here in terms of Grados? I'm sure there must be Grado's of the same quality but with different sound signatures but what might you reccomend??
Thanks,
Mitch

I also has the GS 1000 and predator, I love that combination a lot. However, since this is a ttvj forum, I like to know if anyone tried the Millet hybride with the GS 1000? I've heard the GS1000 works well with tube.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 19
GS1000 just needs a very very powerful power with lots of currents through it to make it shine,

you would detect that its signature stays,

1. recessed mids are developed, and you get lots more details,

2. it's not a dark, smooth phone like senns, expects lots of separation, layers, details... as they say the devil is in the details,

3. it has a deep bass which is controlled only when you use a good amp

4. a very good 3d sound signature again only with a good amp and its soundstage is hall-like, needless of a good amp.

over all, it's good at low volume

if u blast your headphones, this phone is not for you,

it's really meant to be enjoyed with all the subtle-ly-ties in the passages of your music,

it picks up all details (ok, not all, as compared to b&w nautilus) but it's by far the can i choose over anything else,

ultrasone ed9, would come close had it been an open can.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent considerable time with them after my 1st meet up with some RS2's, and while I do agree the RS2 is better than the SR80, I don't think the jump is that big. Well, atleast as big as this forum leads on. There are nuances that make the RS2 better, but the 4x price difference is nowhere near worth it IMO unless you're wanting aesthetics. I know we shouldn't be looking at it being "4x better", but one would seem to expect a larger difference upon initial hearing than I did. Sure, I've grown to appreciate the differences with extended listening, but who WOULDN'T grow accustomed to the differences with extended time to ANY headphone?

I wasn't implying "settling" rather, giving the Grado house sound a try because like said, I haven't heard the GS1K, but it doesn't offer the same sound and it wouldn't be as detrimental to your wallet according to most on here. Then again, it could just be fanboyism...who knows. Nobody really know what their preferences are till they hear it for themselves, which is why I say, the SR80 is a good choice cause it doesn't hurt as much when purchasing...

he asks where to go from GS1000, you tell him SR80s?

that's like someone asking where to go from SR80s, and being suggested iBuds, because the sound difference between that and a decent mid range can isn't "all that much" as it still plays the same song. :p hahaha

i would say try the RS1s though, i spent ages deciding between them and the GS1000, an ended up with the RS1s. it has a more forward midrange, and is probably more realistic/ raw with life recordings.

that said though, i prefered the GS1k for its awesome soundstage and wider percieved freq response, and my main reasons for picking the RS1s were cost and portability

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he asks where to go from GS1000, you tell him SR80s?

that's like someone asking where to go from SR80s, and being suggested iBuds, because the sound difference between that and a decent mid range can isn't "all that much" as it still plays the same song. :p hahaha

i would say try the RS1s though, i spent ages deciding between them and the GS1000, an ended up with the RS1s. it has a more forward midrange, and is probably more realistic/ raw with life recordings.

that said though, i prefered the GS1k for its awesome soundstage and wider percieved freq response, and my main reasons for picking the RS1s were cost and portability

No, it's not. The G1000 strays from the Grado house sound..

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 19
The two I would recommend would be the PS-1 as recommended above, and the HP-1000. The PS-1 is a bass-shattering John Grado beast that will definitely give you a different signature than the GS1000, but still in the same "Family."

The HP-1000 is a Grado, but will really sound like a different signature altogether - the "Joe Grado" sound. It's more neutral, almost to a fault. But it's not "cold" like a Sony, it's still warm, but not through any kind of midrange hump - it's humpless. It's almost like the perfect monitoring can, except that its open nature really doesn't make it practical for that. Really great detail and sense of space and placement and so on...It's my main can (although mine have some Darth mods to extend the freq a bit and make it circumaural and boost the bass a tad - hey, i'm listening as a consumer not a professional).

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 19
RS1, PS-1, HP-1000

I never tried any of these... but from what I read in every thread about them here, I think I would prefer the GS-1000 anyway.

IMO the GS-1000 still has the Grado "House Sound" built into it's heart - the speakers themselves. They just have more bass than the lower end Grados inside their sound signature. The slightly recessed mids (compared to the more forward Grados) and the larger soundstage are because of their pads. If you press the cups down on your head you can clearly hear the mids getting more forward and soundstage narrowing down.

HF-1 with with GS-1000 pads sound a lot like the GS-1000 themselves just with a bit less weight to the bass.

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 19
I've noticed that the GS1000 and RS1's sound similar to one another when you swap the stock bowls from each headphone. I prefer the sound of the GS1000 over the RS1 with the RS1 bowls and the stock 1000 bowls. Instead of keeping the RS1's, I just coughed up $15 for the bowls and hung onto the 1000's. I feel like I have 2 sets of headphones (my wallot does to). I just throw on the smaller bowls when I want the RS1 sound, primarily when listening to rock.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 19
PS1, HP1000 (HP1 or HP2), or a vintage RS1 (with wooden box) I assume...

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #15 of 19
Its been a while since I posted this thread but since then I've had the pleasure to try the current line up of Grados. The RS-1's are the best sounding over the others. I prefer the RS-1's over the MSPros which don't have enough edge to them. Thje SR325i's are nice but I prefer the MS2's and one of my favorite headphones are a pair of SR225's which I sinply put on wooden cups on the headphones. the sound is nicer than my woodied SR325's although I can hear the charms of the 325's esopecially woodied. The 225's woodied never cease to amaze me. My GS-1000 hve been out for repair but they should return anyday. ther grados are nice but I'm liking my new pair of 701's and in the burn in phase at 100 to 150 hourds I find they don't lack bass at all. there is a mid frequency which can be shy compared to 600/650 but properly amped the 701's are awesome/. I like the 580/600/650 all the same but I think I'm favoring the 650's but I am amazed at how nice the 580's sound. Especially with nice cable. the D50000 are my favorite phones but sometimes after enjoying the d5000 I get the urge to listen to the HD600's for their sound. They all do good things. I'm getting a pair of D7000 and have no idea what to expect. Any experience to give me an idea? I read somewhere they don't nmmaintain the same sound signatuire of the D2000/d5000. What's the d70000's like?? My headphones hD25's are growing roots in my scalp.I love these the most I think. I love my HD25's and that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back