Grado GS-1000 appreciation thread
Feb 29, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #16 of 17
Great post by the OP, and great responses, even by those not inclined toward these cans' sound.

I agree that the treble can be shrill, the bass overpowering -- not only initially, but upon extended listening.

To a point.

And then, these phones seem to mellow, and then the clarity is welcomed, the warm oomph appreciated. And the midrange speaks of --- wisdom? It's delivered judiciously, and so gorgeously, unanxious and sure of itself. Yes, you may feel a few more rows back than with other cans, but the flavor is undiluted, the detail unobtrusively copious.

So far as audiophile gear is concerned, well, le'me tell you. I listen to my GS-1000s through 256kbps tracks on a humble 5G iPod with an '07 HeadRoom Micro Amp (the crossfeed of which is essential to me, being as I'm mostly deaf in one ear and the crossfeed manages to almost completely melt away this auditory handicap). NOT audiophile gear in most listeners' book, but when completed by these cans, I'm in absolute heaven.

If you've got an Amercian grand to splurge on only one audio component, I recommend these Grados. You can always build around them.

Later.

In the meantime, you'll be too busy re-listening to your entire music collection.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 17
Grado is worse than Apple. My first experience with it was with the SR80, which I bought on the buzz of the SR60s (and thought, for $26 extra, I'd take the next step up). I was blown away by the sound - and I'm someone who has returned almost as many headphones as I've ever purchased (including cans from Bose and Shure) - and usually within 24 hours of my purchase.

I get paid once a month, forcing me to slap down my hard-earned cash with care. And yet, one month after purchasing the SR80s, I bought a pair of SR325i's - because I just had to see how far this Grado experience could go.

Two months after that, I purchased my RS1's. That was a month ago and now, after negotiations with the wife, I've just ordered the GS1000s. She doesn't understand why I'd pay $1,000 for a pair of headphones but she hopes this will settle me down. Short of going after limited-edition cans, from the old days at Grado, I've got nowhere to go.

I just know this. Open, resonant-resistant, full-bodied sound is addictive. Part of the negotiations with the wife was a commitment to only spend $50/month on music. After I started hearing these Grado details (the music behind the music), I found it irresistible to go through as much music as possible - to finally hear those details that had been there all along.

I'm a Grado junkie. Pray they don't design another headphone. My house doesn't need a second mortgage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back