Grado GS-1000 and RA-1, good match?
Aug 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 29
I saw a recc. for the Kimber Heroes for use with the RA-1. Anyone else have good experiences with certain interconnects (used with the RA-1)? Like I said previously, Im using a Consonance Cyber 20 and I was AMAZED at the difference the IC's made. Ultimately, I settled on MIT Terminator 2's (which is what I also have my stereo/speaker setup wired with) to wire the Cyber 20 up with. Ive tried a lot of IC's and for the price, I havent found much that could match up.

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #17 of 29
Yes - RA-1 (w/ batteries) have a dead quiet background. I bought a recharger and 2 sets of rechargeable batteries, so one pair could charge while listening. I've used them for 2+ years without having to replace them, and they sound no different (to me) than Duracells (single use).

Aug 11, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
I saw a recc. for the Kimber Heroes for use with the RA-1. Anyone else have good experiences with certain interconnects (used with the RA-1)? Like I said previously, Im using a Consonance Cyber 20 and I was AMAZED at the difference the IC's made. Ultimately, I settled on MIT Terminator 2's (which is what I also have my stereo/speaker setup wired with) to wire the Cyber 20 up with. Ive tried a lot of IC's and for the price, I havent found much that could match up.

I use Analysis Plus Crystal Oval. They sound great, but they sound great on everything, so... seriously. They aren't cheap, but come up used on Audiogon.

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #19 of 29
I really like the RA1 with the GS1000. I think it works even better than with the RS1's which I am using at this moment.

As for RA-1/b vs. ac...well, at +75 more..you can pick up a pair of rechargeables and a charger for like $30 and it would take a LOT of recharges to get anywhere near 45 bucks worth of hydroelectricity. So unless one is using alkalines, the battery version will be cheaper, it also makes it mildly more portable.

Oh..and from what I have experienced...a simple circuit is a cleaner more musical circuit, hence perhaps why SET's are doing so well these days...keep it simple stupid...or something like that
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #20 of 29
The problem with the RA-1 is its weight or lack there of. If you are using anything other than very light cable, it will flip up in the front.

How do you deal with this?

Jay

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
I use Analysis Plus Crystal Oval. They sound great, but they sound great on everything, so... seriously. They aren't cheap, but come up used on Audiogon.

Hmm... that intrigues me. I thought about trying some higher level MIT's and didn't really consider going with Analysis Plus. My speaker setup is wired with Oval 9 speaker cables and they are fantastic for the price.
Also, Zanth, you seem to have a lot of experience with the GS-1000's, let's say you had $500 to amp them, what would you pick? What about $1000? Im just trying to get an idea if I should pick up an RA-1 if I can get a decent price just to play around with. I really did love all that mahogany sitting next to each other when I had my RA-1 with my RS-1's
gs1000.gif

I guess my bottom line is... is there anything around $250-300 that would be a better match for the GS-1000's than the RS-1?

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
The problem with the RA-1 is its weight or lack there of. If you are using anything other than very light cable, it will flip up in the front.

Jay

I guess I use light cables? But even if I do not, my RA=1 would sit directly beside my cd player so there would be no flipping. And lately...it has been the ipod I have used it with...so the ipod sits on top of it.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
Hmm... that intrigues me. I thought about trying some higher level MIT's and didn't really consider going with Analysis Plus. My speaker setup is wired with Oval 9 speaker cables and they are fantastic for the price.
Also, Zanth, you seem to have a lot of experience with the GS-1000's, let's say you had $500 to amp them, what would you pick? What about $1000? Im just trying to get an idea if I should pick up an RA-1 if I can get a decent price just to play around with. I really did love all that mahogany sitting next to each other when I had my RA-1 with my RS-1's
gs1000.gif

I guess my bottom line is... is there anything around $250-300 that would be a better match for the GS-1000's than the RS-1?

My top choices would be:

cost no object: Ear HP4 (tubes)
1500-2500: Maestrobated Melos (hybrid)
750-1000: Gilmore GS-1 (ss), Melos Reference (hybrid)
500-750: Maple Tree Audio Ear Purist HD (tube), Talisman Audio 35HP (ss)
300-500: Grado RA-1

In terms of my favourites of the above, I sometimes think that GS-1k does better without all tubes, so the Melos has been doing very well, as has the RA-1. I could swap in a harder tube in the HP4, but I'm not interested in that, as I have it voiced perfectly for my RS-1's. That said, my Melos had its tubes purposely chosen for the PS-1 or HP-1, so I had to swap in some softer tubes for the GS-1k, this seems to be doing the trick. However, each and every time I try the RA-1, it is just no fuss no muss. It really is a great combo with the GS-1k's.

Unless you really want to spend extra, I would go with the RA-1 first out, it sells quickly on the used market. If you want to fuss with tubes, get the MAD Ear+ Purist HD no question.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth

Unless you really want to spend extra, I would go with the RA-1 first out, it sells quickly on the used market. If you want to fuss with tubes, get the MAD Ear+ Purist HD no question.

Thanks for all of the suggestions Zanth, I actually am powering the GS1k's now with an Opera Consonance Cyber 20, so Ive already stepped into the tube world. I'm VERY pleased with it's sound with the GS1k's thus far and Im not looking to replace it, just a change of pace and I think that the RA-1 could be a welcomed change. I should have been a bit more clear on that.

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
My top choices would be:

cost no object: Ear HP4 (tubes)
1500-2500: Maestrobated Melos (hybrid)
750-1000: Gilmore GS-1 (ss), Melos Reference (hybrid)
500-750: Maple Tree Audio Ear Purist HD (tube), Talisman Audio 35HP (ss)
300-500: Grado RA-1

If this is true, then the cost is very important. Is there any amp costs a lot more than RA1 for RS1/GS1k, but sounds worse or similar? I think so. But no one would say that. Cost is just so respectful.

Aug 13, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
If this is true, then the cost is very important. Is there any amp costs a lot more than RA1 for RS1/GS1k, but sounds worse or similar? I think so. But no one would say that. Cost is just so respectful.

I think you misinterpretted my post. I simply listed my favourite amps in a certain price range. I didn't list them in order of preference.

Aug 13, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #28 of 29
Zanth really did exactly what I was asking for, which was recommending amps at certain price points, I didnt really make the stipulation is 'x' which costs $200 better than 'y' which is $2000, but... that does lead my to a new and slightly different question. Since John calibrates the GS-1000 using the RA-1 (among others), the synergy is there, or at least many believe it to be there. With that said, can the RA-1 hang with the big boys? Im sure the RA-1 cannot be as good as some of the Melos' or EAR's, but so far in my headphone journey Ive found Grados to posess some sort of 'magic' that I can't explain and maybe that is present between the RA-1 and the GS1k and this curiosity is why I am so ready to buy an RA-1 again even though my wallet is completely empty and itll probably require selling off body parts
gs1000.gif

On a side note, Id be more than willing to say that something I paid WAY more for sounds worse than something I paid a small amount for. Im currently using interconnects on my headamp that cost about $75, while my IC's that were $250 that I planned on using are sitting in a box.

Aug 13, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar

Jay

Vibrapods?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back