Grado GR8 or 3.Ai Heirs?
Dec 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Inquis

New Head-Fier
My parents bought me Sony XBA-3s for $280 which is a total rip off at that price .....

They've agreed to return and get more bang for buck lolz

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-GR8-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B002QL3CX8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.heiraudio.com/article_177.html

Thinking about these 2 headphones. Can someone help me pick the overall best of the two? 
I like bass, with good mids and highs. I listen to rap, hip-hop, rock, and some classical. Basically a rounded headphone is what I'm looking for 
Warmth is always good
Design, don't really care about

Budget is $260-$300ish

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Depends where they got them, and where you live what the price would generally be. Sounds like a very high price. I have seen them for less than half that at times.

But up to you, if you forget about the cost, do you like them in general?  And what source are you using.  Best to check in at one of the XBA3 threads and let them know all that stuff see what they say.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 12
I got them off of amazon, I want $270-$300 quality bang for buck, not one dollar spent unwisely. They're okay, I saw people buying them for $150 which kinda makes me mad that I paid so much, which is why I want to return and get new headphones for twice the value/quality

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 12
i got the XBA3s on sale for $100 so im keeping them. technically they are very competent but sonically, i prefer the Sony MH1C i picked up for $20 or so. so IMO tryout the Sonys for very little cash (relatively) & if u deal with the more finicky fit & thick (though durable) cable, i think u will be happy. 

& if u can pickup some TDK MT300s for <$5, u mite even be happier 
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 12
lols i hear u bud & i cant argue (& only envy) with a man who has money to burn. that said, theres the proverbial "dont knock it til u try it". before u go gungho on spending the most money u can, there are some amazing bargains out there for (relatively) next to nothing - "bargains" in this context does NOT mean lousy SQ.

indeed im sitting here typing this reply listening to the $5 TDK MT300s direct of my NOTE II. with some slight eq adjustment (i use poweramp which has a ton of eq flexibility), i cannot honestly say these are much worse than the XBA3s. 

nor bad for some throwaways iems 
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
GR8 are the most even overall but have the least sparkle on top. Sony is bassy and very low impedance so only a few DAPs would get the most from them. 3ai is more V shaped in response and easiest to drive. GR8 will be the most comfy and Sony the least.

This is from memory, but I found the XBA-4iP to be more V-shaped than the 3.Ai.  The XBA wasn't your typical V-shape as it leaned much more towards the sub-bass and didn't have a huge body (like the 3.Ai or PFE232), but did seem to have a deeper valley than the 3.Ai.  I'm not sure if the memory is fogged at this point :p  

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 12
So I suppose the question is Grado Vs Heir

GR8 is more even overall, but heir is better to drive amirite?

Are they about the same quality, just different to different tastes?

What kind of taste is the GR8 vs the 3.Ai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back