GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,111 of 1,160
I see what you mean. Did you listen with the gr10 or gr10e? Which do you prefer for this genre? My money is on gr10e since the extra bass would add some nice weight for the chuggy parts.

Mar 30, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #1,113 of 1,160
I got the gr10 v1 (dull silver with no hole) for a while then replaced by v2 (silver with hole). The v2 sounded pretty much like the e (I borrowed one for over a week) which I suspect is the same as the v2 but with different color.

I haven't tried the Tenore.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #1,115 of 1,160
If you guys have a chance to pair the GR10 with the Chord Mojo, i think it will put a really big smile on your faces.From about 15 iems i own, and 5 full size cans, these little buds gave me the biggest surprise. They just became so rich and full bodied, without loosing anything in soundstage, airiness, separation, mids,etc. I've actually started to revisit my library, and listen to songs i didn't previously enjoy on the Grados. And everything you previously enjoyed, gets a lot better.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,116 of 1,160
  I got the gr10 v1 (dull silver with no hole) for a while then replaced by v2 (silver with hole). The v2 sounded pretty much like the e (I borrowed one for over a week) which I suspect is the same as the v2 but with different color.

I haven't tried the Tenore.

I also have the V2, which is brilliant by every subjective metric I know of.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,118 of 1,160
I have the original GR10 ( silver ring, no hole). From what i gather from this forum, the v2 version lacked low end compared to the original one, but i understand they improved this in the GR10e. I don't know if the "e" has more than the original one. 
Few years back, i read an impressive review on What Hi-Fi about these buds, and got intrigued. They did state that you would need a good dac and amp to drive these properly. On Head-Fi, the general consensus was that they are easily driven by a smartphone, as they are very sensitive.( about 125db if i remember correctly). All that holds true, as i rarely go above 50% volume on an iPhone 6+. 
But.....even if in some aspects these buds were astonishing, they never quite got the prime time in my listening sessions. They lacked some low end extension and impact, but more noticeably i believe they lacked somewhere in the low mids, which made them sound very open, but weak.  Every time i felt they are not....manly enough.....I couldn't thoroughly enjoy a cello, or a low key on a violin, or the full extension of a guitar etc....
2 weeks ago i got the Chord Mojo...Now i am getting more and more convinced these are my best headphones. Their soundstage and instrument separation is unmatched even by full size cans like the Philips L2 or the Final Sonorous VI. With the Mojo, the GR10 are now perfectly balanced. 
So, give them a try with a good Dac/Amp... I guess is a praise for both Grado and Chord, but for me, this combination is astonishing.

P.S. Just as a reference, try City of The Sun - To The Sun And All The Cities In Between ( Chesky Records) . 

Apr 18, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,120 of 1,160
  If you guys have a chance to pair the GR10 with the Chord Mojo, i think it will put a really big smile on your faces.From about 15 iems i own, and 5 full size cans, these little buds gave me the biggest surprise. They just became so rich and full bodied, without loosing anything in soundstage, airiness, separation, mids,etc. I've actually started to revisit my library, and listen to songs i didn't previously enjoy on the Grados. And everything you previously enjoyed, gets a lot better.

+1. Got the mojo back in tail end of 2015 and listened to it with my K3003's and T1's exclusively, overlooking my GR10's completely. I had sort of dropped the GR10's by the way side, as they were really sounding pretty poor in comparison.

Decided to give my GR10's a whirl a few weeks ago and was very pleasantly surprised!! Have fitted them with comply tips too. Revelatory. Not quite as good as the K3 nor the T1's but I wouldn't expect them to be. But you are right, a lot more oomph, shortcoming far less noticeable, and that midrange really does shine :)

May 6, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,121 of 1,160
  Better is relative. It's extension vs speed in the bass. Most here prefer a bit more of something they refer to as 'decay' which is a very odd way to describe a higher Q. The GR10e has a medium high Q and the GR8e has a lowish Q. Some will prefer the bass character of the GR8e.

Obviously, customs are going to be more comfortable, LOL. I don't think anyone but you would have thought that was part of my statement. That said, of all non-custom tips, the stock ones are what I feel are both most comfortable and sonically correct for them. These are the same as the Ortofon tips and there's a reason they constantly get recommended for top universals. I obviously have no idea what your custom tips sound like. I doubt they actually help that much with noise on the GR10e because the greatest avenue of breakthrough once you have a seal as with all vented earphones, is the vent. If isolation were the goal, the GR8e would be the better choice.

It's not better than a GR10e but it's a preference thing and the GR8e is very solid and underappreciated.

As for going through the wash. Because they are vented, it's possible that the entire motor got wet. They will likely dry out and work well but I suspect they may have been compromised. I'd continue to enjoy them if I didn't notice a change.
smile.gif

goodvibes - i want one of these GRXXe's but i cannot decide if 8e or 10e - regarding GR8e and lowish Q - what exactly do you mean by that? I like bass but I do not like bass when it is exaggerated. for example with over ears the HD600/650 are my favorites. also i do not want to spend too much money (as i recently order also a RHA T20 which will arrive soon). but all in all i am very insecure what to choose though my guts says to go with the GR8e - and i don't know why? :))) please help!!!

May 7, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,122 of 1,160
As a Grado fan, having used the igi, gr10 and ige, I'd say your best choice is the ige. Like with its predecessor, the iGe embodies the Grado sound more than the gr10 to my ears. I have not tried the gr10e but most people say it doesn't differ much from the original, and I also feel the Grado flagship iem is overpriced.
Can't say anything on the gr8e since I don't intend to carry an amp around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back