GRADO GH2 - IMPRESSIONS
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #106 of 130
Same, Really happy with the GH2 as well, but I'm still grabbing for my 325e's with tape mod lol.

I started with the SR325e's and then went to the GH2's.

Shane D

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #107 of 130
I tried the PS500e at a shop for an hour and did not care for it. I then bought the GH2 and have been VERY happy ever since. I can now answer an earlier question that you asked about the Schiit Vali 2: It is VERY impressive. I bought a used model for pretty cheap ($200.00 Canadian), shipped to my door with extra tubes. I am very impressed. It keeps up with the Liquid Spark and even passes it in some ways. I was really surprised today when it went head to head with my Burson Fun-Classic. More bass and a livelier sound. My testing is Sony ZX300 DAP through SMSL SU-8 DAC, RCA out with a Y-cable. Music was a mixture of Florence and the Machine and Trombone Shorty. Headphones were my GH2's (which new have new life with my Beautiful ear pads). I am wowed by this little amp. To buy new is $149.00 in US $'s. My landed cost on a new one would be about $236.25, with conversion, and then 15% tax. So, the grand total would be about $275.00, landed. That is less than my Burson Fun-Classic sale price, before tax. And then I bought extra op-amps (Vivid's).
this a very nice amp and has surprised me. It seemed bass light compared to the liquid Spark, but is bassier than my Burson. And compared to the Liquid Spark, it really pushes vocals out front, which is great for me as that is my favourite instrument. And of course you can try different tubes to tweak the sound.

I bought this amp as a test unit. i was intrigued by the new Lyr 3 amp from Schiit. Read tons of good stuff about it, but wasn't sure I would like the sound. AND, the landed cost is close to $800.00 in Canada. That is a very high number for me and I would need to be at least somewhat sure that I liked the sound to take that kind of dive. People on Head-Fi (Lyr 3 thread) recommended that I try out out a used Vali 2 if I could find one to get a feel for the sound. I did find a used one for a quarter the cost of the new Lyr 3 and I am impressed. I tend to fall deeply, passionately in love with every new audio toy. For a month. And then I start hearing the flaws and in most cases I end up selling it at a loss. If I still like this amp this much in the new year, I will probably go for a Lyr 3.

Shane D

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I should have written this post in the general Grado fan club and not in the special Grado GH2 post :wink:
But I also think that since the GH2 is more high-resolution than the PS500e, it now makes the instruments clearer and more musical and makes the music more fun , The seller of the PS500e was very enthusiastic about the PS500e and was more impressed with it than with the GH2. I tested the PS500e with the big ear pads. Then he comes in the direction of GH2 sonic. He has more bass than the GH2. But I do not like it when headphones have too much bass.
He looks very good too. It is probably a matter of taste, who favors which headphones.
I am glad that my impulse/my question to think in the direction of Schiit Vali2, gives you so much fun with the Schiit.
I bought a "Lake People G100". The amp also fits very well with my GH2.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #108 of 130
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I should have written this post in the general Grado fan club and not in the special Grado GH2 post :wink:
But I also think that since the GH2 is more high-resolution than the PS500e, it now makes the instruments clearer and more musical and makes the music more fun , The seller of the PS500e was very enthusiastic about the PS500e and was more impressed with it than with the GH2. I tested the PS500e with the big ear pads. Then he comes in the direction of GH2 sonic. He has more bass than the GH2. But I do not like it when headphones have too much bass.
He looks very good too. It is probably a matter of taste, who favors which headphones.
I am glad that my impulse/my question to think in the direction of Schiit Vali2, gives you so much fun with the Schiit.
I bought a "Lake People G100". The amp also fits very well with my GH2.

Glad that you found an amp that you like!

Shane D

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #109 of 130
If my best on-ear Grado to date had been the RS2e, and then I like the GH2 even just a smidge better, does that mean that now the GH2 is my best on-ear Grado??

6E840861-6852-4E1F-8220-312AB216DB55.jpeg

Oct 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #110 of 130
If my best on-ear Grado to date had been the RS2e, and then I like the GH2 even just a smidge better, does that mean that now the GH2 is my best on-ear Grado??

Yes, of course.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

Oct 23, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #111 of 130
Until you try the GH4..

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #112 of 130
It‘s very difficult. I heared my GH2 and changed between the songs to my new PS500e.
Both of them are really good. The PS500e has a little more bass, some guitars are stranger than the GH2 (for example Nils Lofgren - Live) but some classic songs are little bit clearer with the GH2 (2L production).
I have to decide me because I‘ll only own one of both...but it is very difficult.
I‘m thinking about to buy also a RS1e but I don‘t know if it he sounds better than the GH2/PS500e. He is in good used condition and a good price.
Mmh. anyone experience with them....?

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #113 of 130
One strange thing I immediately noticed while listening to The Doobie Brothers "listen to the Music was reverb in the vocals which I've never heard before, and I've listened to this song a million times?
Really digging up an old post! When I got my RS2e and began comparing it to my GH2, one of the first things I noticed as that same bit of reverb in everything. It's like the GH2 was tuned with a surround setting of 2. The RS2e does not have that, and thus sounds more exact and precise to me ears. Don't know if you still have the GH2, but thought I'd let you know your brain wasn't messing with you!!

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #114 of 130
Question for you GH2/limited edition Grado owners. Is it sacrilegious to have a limited edition Grado cable modded? So original cable removed and dual 2.5mm inputs fitted in it's place (by a very reputable modding business)?

Jun 20, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #115 of 130
Question for you GH2/limited edition Grado owners. Is it sacrilegious to have a limited edition Grado cable modded? So original cable removed and dual 2.5mm inputs fitted in it's place (by a very reputable modding business)?
Not in my opinion. I'd love to get mine done.

Jun 20, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #117 of 130
I was worried it might affect resale value in the future. Personally I despise the Grado cable.

Thanks for your feedback.
Be very careful with the wood. I contacted Grado and they didn't want to work on the GH2's due to the wood. And I HATE that cable with a passion! :grin:

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #118 of 130
Be very careful with the wood. I contacted Grado and they didn't want to work on the GH2's due to the wood. And I HATE that cable with a passion! :grin:
Custom Cans here in the UK do excellent work. They're already very familiar with GH2 mods. But thank you for the heads up.

Sometimes I wonder how Grado stay in business with these crappy cables haha.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #119 of 130
Custom Cans here in the UK do excellent work. They're already very familiar with GH2 mods. But thank you for the heads up.

Sometimes I wonder how Grado stay in business with these crappy cables haha.
Surprise: partly it’s because of us buying the stuff😉🥸

Users who are viewing this thread

Back