GRADO GH2 - IMPRESSIONS
May 26, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 130
Burning my new Gh 2s in now, and I have to say Im really liking the signature of these. Using stock cable and Schiit Joutenheim amp right now. Ill hook it up to my Burson in a week or two. Probably have about 20 hrs on them. I also just ordered a set of the Zonk G cush pads and will post results after i get them. If i don't like the Zonks I'll buy some Original Grado g cush. Ive heard very little reviews of these with g pads. Thought it might be interesting . This is my first pair of Grados, I've listened to them in the past, just never bought any. Im comparing them to my Focal elear, and Shure 1840s. Fun stuff.
Looking forward to your impressions after sufficient burn-in.

May 28, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #35 of 130
So earlier this morning I did some A/B with G-Pads on both of my GH1 and GH2. Here are some of my impressions:

*GH1 is more leaner in its body, but at times the highs can be kind of "gaining" and feel being stretched out a little bit too much.
*GH2 has more meat in it body, with the plus of bigger soundstage. The highs are still rolled out and the lows went down a little bit, but not by much.
*GH1 will be good for recordings where you prefer a leaner presentation.
*GH2 will be good for recordings with still a focus on low end, or if you don't mind the low end giving the music extra meat.

May 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #38 of 130
I Absolutely Love my Elears. Blackness depth. Nice tonality, not the same as the Grados. Completely different presentations. The Elears completely blew away my 650s, 600 s and my 1840s, kept the 1840s by the way, sold the Senns to fund these Grados. I have to Say though Im soooo glad I bought these. Still breaking in, but they sound an ounce or two fuller now than they did on first listen. To my ears these Compete with the Elears sonically, but Remember the Presentation is Way, Way different. The Elear is definitely more relaxed, less treble bit, but more depth, Thicker but still very detailed. If i had been using Grados First,instead of the Elears it would have been harder to determine. The Elear definitely has Bass slam, almost as detailed as the Grados. Very large soundstage, to my ears on the Elears, not as smallish as some would suggest. Dale Thorns review of the 1840 said it had great imaging, to me the Elear is better and just as large. Not Senn 800 size but palpable, believable. Hope this helps. BTW Im keeping both of these cans. I Really Regret not Purchasing a set of Grados years ago. Its the Spectacular tone, man i love it

May 28, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #39 of 130
Same here. I should add my G-Pads to the GH2, but I'm liking them a lot on the GH1. I'm curious about your experience since you have the Focal Elear. I was thinking about that as my $1k headphone. Let us know.
Forgot to mention build quality on the Elears is Top Notch, to my ears and listening its a hard phone to beat in its respective price class, very easy to drive as well

May 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #40 of 130
Same here. I should add my G-Pads to the GH2, but I'm liking them a lot on the GH1. I'm curious about your experience since you have the Focal Elear. I was thinking about that as my $1k headphone. Let us know.
Headphone heaven btw the Elear and Grados, glorious change of paces, both are great. I strongly suggest if you can, listen to the Elears before buying.

May 28, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #42 of 130
I ordered some ttjv deluxe flats as well, cant wait to try these out, hopefully I'll have them by Thursday. Still burning GH 2 s in. They are definitely improving. Wasn't too sure about the burn in thing on these, but ive been an audiophile a loong time and these are definitely smoother, without losing details, bass is fuller, these are small but perceptible details. Im burning in by playing music on 2 hrs off two hrs throughout the day. I get now why Grado has such a large and faithful following.

May 29, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #43 of 130
Color me impressed with the GH2 ,I have always been a Grado fan since I bought my first Grado in 1995 Sr60.(which I still have )I am listening to Joe Bonamassa Different Shades Of Blue album
Using my macbook pro ,Headamp pico Amp/ Dac,great synergy with the GH2.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #44 of 130
Headphone heaven btw the Elear and Grados, glorious change of paces, both are great. I strongly suggest if you can, listen to the Elears before buying.

I wish I could, but no dealers in my neck of the woods. I could always get an used pair from Moon Audio with full warranty (it might be a good idea to order a pair from them if you want to save some money).

So, after more A/B between GH1 and GH2, I feel the GH2 gives me more of what I am looking for. The highs are tamed with good low end response for a Grado. Now, when using the G-Pads on the GH2, you will lose a little energy in the mids, and little on the low end. However, you gain soundstage with still good low end response, excellent body (GH2 is like eating a big piece of steak, while the GH1 is more of a slim burger patty), and still good mids with warmth. The low end is still very killer with how detailed the bass guitar can get (I'm looking at you Synchronicity album).

Since I have both the GH1 and GH2, it's great to compare them to each other.

If you are planning to get the GH2, PLEASE pick up a pair of G-Pads. You might find yourself being very happy with them and may not even want to upgrade to any of the GS/PS pair and just get a different headphone for the $1k+ tier.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #45 of 130
I wish I could, but no dealers in my neck of the woods. I could always get an used pair from Moon Audio with full warranty (it might be a good idea to order a pair from them if you want to save some money).

So, after more A/B between GH1 and GH2, I feel the GH2 gives me more of what I am looking for. The highs are tamed with good low end response for a Grado. Now, when using the G-Pads on the GH2, you will lose a little energy in the mids, and little on the low end. However, you gain soundstage with still good low end response, excellent body (GH2 is like eating a big piece of steak, while the GH1 is more of a slim burger patty), and still good mids with warmth. The low end is still very killer with how detailed the bass guitar can get (I'm looking at you Synchronicity album).

Since I have both the GH1 and GH2, it's great to compare them to each other.

If you are planning to get the GH2, PLEASE pick up a pair of G-Pads. You might find yourself being very happy with them and may not even want to upgrade to any of the GS/PS pair and just get a different headphone for the $1k+ tier.
Ah, going through Moon might be the way to go. I purchased the GH2 through them as well as a Silver Dragon 4 pin balanced cable for the Elear. Im also becoming more and more impressed with the GH2s sound, it takes a bit to really get the Grado sound, Im not a basshead so the Grado sounded Right, tonality, balanced, real sounding. Do you have other cans besides Grados? Im just not sure if your used to the Grados, the Elear might seem a bit dark. I have been A/B comparing them with the Shure 1840 for three days now. Easy having the GH2 with single plug and the other two with balanced. Sound sigs are sooo different, neither bad just different. I thought the 1840 was detailed when i first got it, Now in detail it is in third place easily, then Elear a very close second to the GH2. I do have g cush and ttjv deluxe flats on order. Thanks for the advice and input, much appreciated. Ill post impressions after i get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back