Grado GH-1 Discussion
Mar 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #676 of 1,091
Originally Posted by Darksyde /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All I need to know:

Is it worth it? Hype aside, are the GH1s really that good? And do they lose any of the magic of the RS2es in terms of liveliness and vocal presentation?

Thanks!
Mark

Summary:
- I already own the PS500 and RS2e, having originally intended to sell one of them
- I like different things about both
- The GH1 is supposed to be mindblowingly good and the best of both. Is it worth the premium?

GH-1 vs. GH-1 w/G-Cush vs. RS2e

Prompted in part by @Darksyde 's question above, and partly by the fact that for months I have had on my "To-Do" list to compare these three headphones using my 10-feature 3-way method (described in more detail here), I stepped up to meet my awesome responsibility as a 22-Grado owner to compare these headphones (because I COULD!).

I compared the GH-1 with its stock L bowls, the GH-1 with the over-ear G-Cush replacing the on-ear bowls, and my own highest-scoring Grado headphone, the RS2e.  Here are the three headphones.  As you can see, I drove each with the Joseph Grado HPA-1 headphone amp, and I used CD-quality source material as described in the more extensive post referenced above.

Here is what I found.  Each row in the following table gives a rank order of each of the three headphones on a particular test... if it scored the best of the three on "transparency," it received a 3 and its cell was colored blue; 2 for second place (red), and 1 for third place (yellow).  Ties for first place are 2.5 and purple (blue + red) and ties for second place are 1.5 and orange (red + yellow).

Since this comparison is relative rather than absolute (i.e. first and second place are always one point apart, regardless of whether the difference is great or small), it is worth commenting that all headphones were very good and nearly all differences were small.

The RS2e clearly had the greatest transparency, a "you are there" feel free of any veil, around-the corner muffling, or the like.  The GH-1 with G Cush clearly had the largest sound stage, and in fact that large soundstage also translated to a higher positional resolution.  The GH-1 without G Cush (i.e. with L bowls) had the strongest sub-bass response.

There was a clear improvement in the GH-1 comparison score to the RS2e when its pads were switched for the G Cush.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #677 of 1,091
GH-1 vs. GH-1 w/G-Cush vs. RS2e

Prompted in part by @Darksyde
 's question above, and partly by the fact that for months I have had on my "To-Do" list to compare these three headphones using my 10-feature 3-way method (described in more detail here), I stepped up to meet my awesome responsibility as a 22-Grado owner to compare these headphones (because I COULD!).

I compared the GH-1 with its stock L bowls, the GH-1 with the over-ear G-Cush replacing the on-ear bowls, and my own highest-scoring Grado headphone, the RS2e.  Here are the three headphones.  As you can see, I drove each with the Joseph Grado HPA-1 headphone amp, and I used CD-quality source material as described in the more extensive post referenced above.

Here is what I found.  Each row in the following table gives a rank order of each of the three headphones on a particular test... if it scored the best of the three on "transparency," it received a 3 and its cell was colored blue; 2 for second place (red), and 1 for third place (yellow).  Ties for first place are 2.5 and purple (blue + red) and ties for second place are 1.5 and orange (red + yellow).

Since this comparison is relative rather than absolute (i.e. first and second place are always one point apart, regardless of whether the difference is great or small), it is worth commenting that all headphones were very good and nearly all differences were small.

The RS2e clearly had the greatest transparency, a "you are there" feel free of any veil, around-the corner muffling, or the like.  The GH-1 with G Cush clearly had the largest sound stage, and in fact that large soundstage also translated to a higher positional resolution.  The GH-1 without G Cush (i.e. with L bowls) had the strongest sub-bass response.

There was a clear improvement in the GH-1 comparison score to the RS2e when its pads were switched for the G Cush.

Great write up. I bought the RS2e, but was enamored by the ps500e then the GH-1. Ultimately, I ended up with the GH-1, but I always felt that the RS2e was incredible considering the price. I just got my G-cush pads for my GH-1 so I'm happy.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #678 of 1,091
Interesting review - thanks for taking the time to perform such a descriptive comparison, and display the results in an easy-to-perceive fashion.  It's helpful.  

I also really like the RS2e, and am impressed with how well you rate it against the very highly regarded GH-1.  However, I struggle to ignore the absence of bass quantity or impact (probably "bass visceral" by your definition), as I find it to be an important component of the type of music that I listen to, in the form of bass guitar and kick drums.  Do you ever consider that the lack of "bass visceral" may be at least partly responsible for allowing the rest of the magic to come through so clearly?

I was really hoping that the GH-1 was everything that the RS2e was, while adding "bass visceral".  It would be a no-brainer for me, if so, but now I wonder if it would be worth the upgrade.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #679 of 1,091
  You're doing a good job of convincing me! Probably going to pull the trigger later today. Expect a detailed comparison of the GH1, RS2e, PS500, and PS500e when I receive them in a few weeks.

Also, I already have a pair of G-cush floating around, so I'm looking forward to trying that too!

Thank you for everyone's help and contributions to this thread. I would never have known a thing about these headphones without all of you.

Congratulations…I'm sure you'll love them with either cushions you prefer.
Keep us posted on your impressions/comparisons.

Great write up. I bought the RS2e, but was enamored by the ps500e then the GH-1. Ultimately, I ended up with the GH-1, but I always felt that the RS2e was incredible considering the price. I just got my G-cush pads for my GH-1 so I'm happy.

Intersted in which cushions you prefer with the GH-1.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #680 of 1,091
Congratulations…I'm sure you'll love them with either cushions you prefer.
Keep us posted on your impressions/comparisons.

Intersted in which cushions you prefer with the GH-1.

I actually haven't A/B'd them since I got the g cush, but I'll report back once I do. I can tell you that the g cush is more comfortable for sure though.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #681 of 1,091
I actually haven't A/B'd them since I got the g cush, but I'll report back once I do. I can tell you that the g cush is more comfortable for sure though.

popcorn.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #682 of 1,091
Wow, getting a lot of interesting feedback! Thank you, Kayandjohn for the thoughtful report! I really enjoy these discussions. Still hesitating on the GH1 a little-- it sounds like it may not entirely be the RS2e+ that I was imagining. It's really too bad that I have no way to audition them before I have to decide on the order.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #683 of 1,091
  Wow, getting a lot of interesting feedback! Thank you, Kayandjohn for the thoughtful report! I really enjoy these discussions. Still hesitating on the GH1 a little-- it sounds like it may not entirely be the RS2e+ that I was imagining. It's really too bad that I have no way to audition them before I have to decide on the order.

Again, you can't go wrong with the GH-1 with either the (L)/(G) cushions.
And if you find their not ofr you, sell them at a minimal loss because they are a "Limited Edition" which won't be available at some point.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #684 of 1,091
Wow @kayandjohn! Love reading your analysis. It's compelling me to have to hear the RS2e at some point in the future. I couldn't justify getting it right away though. I'm splitting my time up between my own Heritage and PS1k. Plus I recently invested into a better mobile listening setup.
biggrin.gif

@Darksyde there's a US ebay listing for a used pair of the GH1 going for $559 USD. The seller posted that he/she sent them in to Grado to replace one of the wooden ear cups for cosmetic reasons. I would still go for it if they have a return policy. If they don't, just ask. In my experience, ebay sellers seem polite enough to say yes. For the sake of head-fi get a pair of them however you can and come back here for your comparisons!

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #685 of 1,091
Thank you for the head's up! Very tempting, indeed. It's too bad we can't swap headphones for a bit, since we're both curious about each others 
gs1000.gif
 What are your thoughts on the GH1s, to a perspective buyer?

Edit: I sent a message to the seller on eBay...so we shall see! Maybe I'll own all 3 and do a shootout for the good of Headfi 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #686 of 1,091
I bought the pair that was listed on eBay. Thank you, krud484 for pointing me in the right direction! I should hopefully have them in a couple of weeks. I honestly didn't think I'd have a chance to own these, so I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts on them. Thanks again, everyone!

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #688 of 1,091
  I bought the pair that was listed on eBay. Thank you, krud484 for pointing me in the right direction! I should hopefully have them in a couple of weeks. I honestly didn't think I'd have a chance to own these, so I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts on them. Thanks again, everyone!

Congrats man! The Heritage is real gem and keeper in the current Grado lineup. At this point, it would be hard to for them to follow it up!

As I burn in mine, the sound evolves, and even when it sits next to a PS1k, I still reach for the GH1.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #690 of 1,091
A couple shots of my brother and his GH1's that were given to him as a gift by me and my mom. We wanted to do something special for his 30th b-day and I think it was a pretty good choice. He's in the Air Force living in Germany and we don't get to see him often, so it's fun to do something special.

And with the G's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back