Grado Flat Pads... Not worth the $$$?
Apr 9, 2004 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kent1146

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased a set of Grado flat pads for my SR-225s. I'm looking at these things that I paid $35 for, and I'm wondering if I would have been better off getting a pair of $10 comfie pads that come on the SR-60, and quarter-modding them.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by kent1146
I just purchased a set of Grado flat pads for my SR-225s. I'm looking at these things that I paid $35 for, and I'm wondering if I would have been better off getting a pair of $10 comfie pads that come on the SR-60, and quarter-modding them.

Nope. Different material, different sound. If you like the sound of the flat pads, the only thing that comes close is the modded Sennheiser pads. But they only come close, and there's no substitute for the real thing.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 20
I agree that the price is a bit steep, but I can't argue with the improvement in sound. Seriously, I almost sold my sr-125s, but now I'm very glad I didn't! They're like a whole different phone now: full bodied (thanks to the proximity effect) and no longer painfully bright.

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 20
I agree that $35 is alot of money for a couple small pieces of foam, but I look at it as an inexpensive tweak relatively speaking. The replacement pads for a R10 are $750! Just trying to keep things in perspective.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Nope. Different material, different sound. If you like the sound of the flat pads, the only thing that comes close is the modded Sennheiser pads. But they only come close, and there's no substitute for the real thing.

Hirsch said it all. The flats are the best period.

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 20
To be honest, when I opened the package the flats in, I felt the same way. $35 for THESE? Honestly though, it's the sound that matters. The difference between bowls and flats is night and day.

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 20
The genuine flat pads are the best.

BTW if you think that's alot HP1000 thumbscrews are $25 each (but I suppose there's a limited supply of these)

Apr 9, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 20
Buying the Flat Pads was the best Investment I ever Made and I paid $50 a pair from Joe Grado this last September.

If you wash them occasionally they’ll last for years.

Mitch

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 20
I recently bought two pairs of grado flat pads from Todd for $78 with International Shipping, they cost me just under £49 UK Pounds, thats with added Import Tax and UK VAT, courtesy of UK Customs of course.

I tried my bowl pads squashed before I bought the flat pads, and the squashed bowl pads don't sound anywhere near as good as the original flat pads.

I'm very glad I bought the grado flat pads, they are worth every penny (cent).

Best wishes,

Paul.

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

The material of soft pads and flat pads should be the same.

It's a porosity which makes the difference (air bubbles rate during a molding process). Soft pads have higher porosity than flat pads, thus they're soft and more comfortable. The porosity affect the sound properties as well.
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 20
Flat Pads are THE BEST! I have the Sr-60 and the difference between comfy and flat is enormous!!! With the flat all is fuller, better extended in frequency and space, now the Sr-60 sounds like high-end headphones! I've also heard the Rs-1 with the flat pads, and now the Sr-60 are not so distant as the price suggests!

Bye

Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back